Sponsored

Is anyone else losing interest in the 2024 Taco?

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
This post literally made me join this wonderful forum. If you were really serious about purchasing the new Tacoma you would be driving in one by now like I have the last 2 weeks. Why even post a negative post like this... None of your six reasons are really valid. There is an amazing spreadsheet that lists every available taco in the area including color. Were there delays... Yes. Was it annoying... Yes. Did I get one by cultivating a relationship with my dealer... Yes. Either wait, get one, or move on bro!
Fake news. This post literally made me want to dispel this fake news. Told by someone that is lucky enough to have them at their dealerships. Why even post without researching areas outside your area?

I want one, I have 3 different model choices I can live with, 2 different colours of the ones available to me and a third, black, as a back up colour.
Do I want to pay 2 grand more in freight to try and hunt one down from across the country, especially without seeing one in real life or driving one? No, I am not that dumb.

Not all jurisdictions have them. Here in BC, none to look at yet. My dealer tells me end of March for the demo model. I am also exploring other dealers.
Sponsored

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter Bronze Oxide; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
To answer the op question I am absolutely not losing interest in the truck. The wait is agonizing and a bit frustrating, but not losing interest. If anything I am gaining more excitement knowing that I’m getting closer to having all the details and hopefully to having one in my garage. The feedback so far from those who are lucky enough to get their non-hybrid allocations have been overwhelmingly positive. This to me is a strong indicator that the hybrid will be worth the wait.

One comment I will make is that with all of the hype I think it will be a let down if the TH/Pro are really hard to come by. I’m 4th on the list for a TH here in Denver so hoping to be in one of the first couple allocations. This was recently discussed by @Independence Overland on another thread, and it sure seems like with all the marketing efforts, R&D, general hype, etc that Toyota is gearing up to produce a good number of the TH/Pro. The Pro has always been difficult to come by so I think if you are not currently on a list for one of the halo trims it’s going to be while before you get one, but it’s been this way for years. That is just a gamble you have to play putting a deposit down not knowing what availability or price will be for a new generation.

My use case may be different than the op, but when the TH was announced I felt like it was built for me and exactly what I was looking for. I’m not saying every detail is perfect, but it’s pretty damn close and a great canvas to build the truck the way I want it. The waiting and lack of information is annoying, but soon enough we'll have all the details. Not knowing the price of the TH or any hybrids for that matter I just went into it expecting a $55k - $65k truck and had to be ok with that when I put my deposit down.

These are all valid points, but to me indicate it may be best for the op to wait it out or look at alternatives that are already available. These are all variables and risks that are entirely beyond our control and if you are uncomfortable or unhappy with these facts then I understand why you would be losing interest or potentially looking at alternatives.

Op Concerns
  1. Compromise on color
  2. Wait most of 2024 without the truck anyway for delivery
  3. Try to find a local dealer not marking up and with decent allocation
  4. Commit to buy without knowing specs
  5. Commit to buy without knowing final pricing
  6. Buy 1st year of total redesign, carrying some risk

Last edited:

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I thought this myself today as I drove past the dealer for the 10000th time to see if the truck that should be here any day now is yet, and it's not.

I keep telling myself eh what another month, Hell I've waited sense June. But it's not the waiting, it's the lack of communication and the loss of features along the way.

No power tailgate, no electronic mirror, because it's a manual AND a Canadian version I loose a bunch more on top of that. Starting to ask myself what am I really paying for here.

I said it a couple months ago, and I'll say it now more than ever. If Chevrolet offered a manual Colorado, Toyota would've already lost my business. If I have to wait another 3 months, they're going to loose me regardless, as bad as I want a manual truck, Toyota's been pulling one too many of my nerves here.

Just give me a solid update for Christ sake. Where's the truck? Between the plant and Alberta is the best they can really do? That's ridiculous.

OP
OP

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
you have been waiting for over a year but never thought to put a deposit down on a sought after vehicle?
Yes. It’s a 60K purchase that I plan on keeping for several years. I want to know what I’m getting first. There aren’t even EPA numbers yet for the hybrid versions.

It’s not an order a build I wanted, it’s get what (a build) you (I) wanted from the allocation

I get that and am fine with that. We’ve always waited for what we wanted and have no issue doing so. The problem for me with 2024 is that it is almost March 2024 and I still don’t have specifics that would give me the info needed to decide on a specific vehicle to wait for, and the outlook doesn’t look great for me for things to happen this year, so why not wait?

This post literally made me join this wonderful forum. If you were really serious about purchasing the new Tacoma you would be driving in one by now like I have the last 2 weeks. Why even post a negative post like this... None of your six reasons are really valid. There is an amazing spreadsheet that lists every available taco in the area including color. Were there delays... Yes. Was it annoying... Yes. Did I get one by cultivating a relationship with my dealer... Yes. Either wait, get one, or move on bro!

Wait what? I could have been driving around in an i-FORCE MAX Trailhunter two weeks ago? Can you explain the missteps I took that I could have purchased and taken delivery of a TH as of 2/11/2024? Why are there none listed in the owner's registry... are you saying I could have been the first somehow?

My post said “I don’t know if 2024 is going to work out for a Taco for me, I may have to see if I can wait for 2025”… and THAT was so negative that you joined the forum to call it out?

Sponsored

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Here are my 2 cents...

On 12/15/23, I built my new Tacoma with the configurator and went to my local dealer, showed him what I wanted and placed a $500 deposit down. After 2 months, and finding out about the allocation sheet, I changed tactics.

I went on a hunt to find as close as I could get to my ideal Tacoma and price point with a 6MT TRD Sport. I found one in Cheboygan, Michigan, a Bronze Oxide TRD Sport with 6MT at $44,200. Called and placed a $100 deposit down and canceled my other order.

Now, I am missing a few PIO port installed options from the build, but I can just order them from that dealer and get them installed. If they do not come in time when delivery comes, they lose out in the business because I can get them at my local stealership later.

Aside from FIO factory installed options, the PIO dealer installed ones you can get when they become available at your local dealer. I have my list that I will be ordering soon, floor liners, bed mat, door scuff guards, TRD skid plate before my truck is even built.

I work in a factory, supervise a small assembly line while I oversee the machine shop. Let me tell you on having it your way. It causes so much headaches in terms of having proper parts delivery to our line, testing the machines, making sure the assemblers know the models correctly and on and on.

Customization to a certain degree costs more to the manufacturer. And it costs time for delivery. Vehicles today are too complicated for Burger King. I give credit to Toyota for offering so many models and stuff. I am patient.

My 2016 SR AC 4x4 I am selling this week was an excellent point. I placed my allocation order with the dealer on 10/01/15 for $28,399 upon delivery. It was built before thanksgiving and finally delivered to the dealer on 12/15/15 when I picked it up. My sales guy kept me up on the tracking from the Texas factory by rail to Kansas City yard, then over to Toyota's Princeton, IN factory before another rail trip to St. Paul, MN. Then wait for ground truck to deliver.

Yes, it took just as long to deliver my truck than build it in the system down in Texas.

Use the allocation sheet and find your Tacoma and go after it. That is what I did. I even have backups that I watch no deposit on, in case they get an ETA on before the one I reserved. For now, I am glad it has not been built yet, gets me time to order more PIO stuff, plan the leveling kit with larger tires on and on.

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Welcome to the forums, Yimmy. It’s unfortunate your first post (and motivation to join) was to criticize another member for expressing his opinion. Why do you say none of his six reasons are really valid? You don’t even know what his situation is.

Me personally, I haven’t lost interest in the new Tacoma, but I can also empathize with the frustrations others have expressed on these forums. Like many others here, I’ve been following the new Tacoma since Toyota released their teaser tweets a year ago. I signed up for news/announcements about the upcoming truck on their website (I’m still waiting for those emails, lol). I remember excitedly watching the big press event last May that took place in Hawaii. I can even tell you where I was, what I ate, and what I did that day, haha. Like so many others, I was super excited to see so many grades and options. It was unprecedented for a Tacoma. It really did seem like there was a new Tacoma for everyone, as Toyota’s marketing often touted. However, there’s a giant asterisk attached to that statement, because as many of us understand, you cannot custom order a Toyota. Dealerships can request certain builds, but ultimately they get what is allocated to them. And Toyota determines these allocations based on past sales data for a given region. That works well for Toyota in terms of efficiency and profits. We get it. But is it still annoying that we cannot order our dream Tacoma? You bet it is. Adding insult to injury are certain distributors (e.g., the SET mafia) that have a stranglehold of certain regions and love to install overpriced accessories at the port before the dealerships take delivery, just to pad the final price of an already expensive truck, sometimes by a few thousand dollars. And then certain dealerships do the same, to squeeze a few more dollars out of their customers. Sometimes I wish Toyota (and other automakers) would accept online orders, much like what Tesla does in many US states (because of protectionist laws that support dealerships by banning or strictly limiting direct sales to consumers by the automaker). The reason I say “sometimes” is because Tesla isn’t known for having competent service centers (ask my sister, who owns a Teslas). Then again, some dealerships have lousy service centers too.

Anyway, adding to the frustrations of prospective customers is the delayed launch of the new truck. Initially, Toyota’s advertisements said the non-hybrid models were expected to go on sale in the Fall of 2023 and the hybrids would be in the Spring of 2024. Well, they didn’t even announce pricing of the non-hybrids until November. March is just around the corner and none of the dealerships around me have taken delivery on any new Tacomas. I realize some lucky individuals have recently purchased their new trucks (like you) and I’m genuinely happy for you all. But please understand that not everyone’s situation is the same as yours. I also understand that there are valid reasons for the delayed launch. After all, it doesn’t benefit Toyota, a volume automaker, to artificially withhold delivery of the new Tacoma. They have an incentive to get as many into the hands of dealerships as quickly as possible. But what is causing some folks to rethink their next vehicle purchase is the lack of communication from Toyota. When I’ve asked my local dealerships for updates on when they expect to receive their first deliveries, all I get in response is “maybe next month”. Problem is they’ve been telling me that for the last few months. Toyota still hasn’t announced pricing for the hybrid models, including the Trail Hunter (which the OP was talking about, by the way).

I’m patient and am in a situation where I don’t need to buy another vehicle tomorrow, thankfully. So, I’m going to wait this out. I know what I want (and what I don’t want), so I’m willing to wait until my dealerships have something close to that. I also need to see the new Tacoma in-person and take it for a test drive before I’ll know if it is the vehicle for me. I’m also curious to see what happens with the new vehicle market in the coming months due to the higher interest rates. Maybe it will create downward pressure on new Tacoma sales, causing dealerships to offer incentives on certain grades/options. I’m also cautiously waiting to see what issues early adopters may encounter, given that this is a completely redesigned model. And lastly, even though I will likely buy a non-hybrid Tacoma, I’m waiting for Toyota to confirm the MSRP, payload, towing capacity, and MPGs of the hybrid models before making up my mind.

Anyway, I can understand someone not wanting to wait any longer for a TRD Pro or Trail Hunter, like the OP. Depending on their situation, if they need a new vehicle soon, it is a risk to keep waiting for the Tacoma, due to the unknowns. So, I wouldn’t blame that person for wanting to look at other options. After all, this is a huge purchase and the top models are expected to surpass $60K MSRP. Not to mention many dealerships may try to charge market adjustments on the Pro and Trail Hunter models.

Good luck to everyone and I hope you end up finding a vehicle that meets your needs.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Yes. It’s a 60K purchase that I plan on keeping for several years. I want to know what I’m getting first. There aren’t even EPA numbers yet for the hybrid versions.

I get that and am fine with that. We’ve always waited for what we wanted and have no issue doing so. The problem for me with 2024 is that it is almost March 2024 and I still don’t have specifics that would give me the info needed to decide on a specific vehicle to wait for, and the outlook doesn’t look great for me for things to happen this year, so why not wait?

Wait what? I could have been driving around in an i-FORCE MAX Trailhunter two weeks ago? Can you explain the missteps I took that I could have purchased and taken delivery of a TH as of 2/11/2024? Why are there none listed in the owner's registry... are you saying I could have been the first somehow?

My post said “I don’t know if 2024 is going to work out for a Taco for me, I may have to see if I can wait for 2025”… and THAT was so negative that you joined the forum to call it out?
huh? You not only want a first year model of a popular vehicle, but you’re interested in a difficult ti get trim.

you want to be one of the first ones yet wouldn’t put a deposit down? What does “knowing what I’m getting” have to do with anything? You aren’t forced to buy it…

this seems like a whole lot of complaining for you not being on top of things. Did you really think you were getting a pro first with no deposit?

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
I don't understand and don't like the way Toyota is producing the 24 Tacoma. They won't let Customers build a truck like they want. My State is getting very few OR with the Premium pkg. Then the distributor is adding on options I don't want. That increases the. price.

HeelerSteeler

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma 2024 Tacoma
I've been waiting for a truck, this truck, for well over a year. I've followed every announcement, every youtube channel, and the forums just looking for info and news about what I assumed I would be buying this year.

Initially thought I'd get a TRD Pro.. but then those isodynamic seats eating into rear legroom was a dealbreaker. I'm not a fan of the TH snorkel, but thought maybe it'd be ok with the right color. Then the colors came out and proved me wrong. I guess I could still get a hybrid Limited or offroad... but then it would require time, money, and mods to get those looking like something I wanted.. likely pushing the completed date into 2025 anyway.

And now I hear ppl saying if you don't have a deposit on a TH/Pro already, then you may be out of luck for 2024.
So right now, for the 2024 window, it seems like I'd have to:
  1. Compromise on color
So my excitement is rapidly deflating. It often seems like it makes more sense now to wait until 2025, but I don't know if our situation will allow waiting. In the meantime, I find myself now looking more and more at the competition trying to see if I could make something else work.
Yeah me too, but what are you going to do. Its the crappy times we live in now. Ive had mine on order now since December 2023 and all my sales person keeps telling me is any day. LOL. I certainly don't like buying a vehichle you can't see or see all the colors in person. The seller definitely has the upperhand right now. I bought a 2015 tacoma with 16K miles as a runaround that i can haul my German Shepherd in, so im prepared to wait as long as I need to.However, I suspect it will come in with a handful of others and I might change my mind on what I want. Im not going to be bullied by the sales person. I suspect once they start sending 4 or 5 at once we will have a better chance of getting what we want.

Sponsored

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
If you have been waiting over a year, I curious why you haven’t had a deposit
I've been waiting for a truck, this truck, for well over a year. I've followed every announcement, every youtube channel, and the forums just looking for info and news about what I assumed I would be buying this year.

Initially thought I'd get a TRD Pro.. but then those isodynamic seats eating into rear legroom was a dealbreaker. I'm not a fan of the TH snorkel, but thought maybe it'd be ok with the right color. Then the colors came out and proved me wrong. I guess I could still get a hybrid Limited or offroad... but then it would require time, money, and mods to get those looking like something I wanted.. likely pushing the completed date into 2025 anyway.

And now I hear ppl saying if you don't have a deposit on a TH/Pro already, then you may be out of luck for 2024.
So right now, for the 2024 window, it seems like I'd have to:
  1. Compromise on color
So my excitement is rapidly deflating. It often seems like it makes more sense now to wait until 2025, but I don't know if our situation will allow waiting. In the meantime, I find myself now looking more and more at the competition trying to see if I could make something else work.
I mean no disrespect, but if you have been waiting for this truck for a year, why didn't you place a deposit back then to help secure one?

I should also add: No, I am not losing interest at all. I knew Toyota couldn't afford to screw this generation up, and that it was going to be a huge hit. People were fighting back against it at first, and if you pay attention across forums and Facebook you will see the "I saw it in person, and it changed my mind" kind of stuff. These trucks are very exciting, and I have waited 2 years for it so I will continue to do so.

I should also add that people like yourself get impatient and cancel their deposit. This probably doesn't apply to the TH or Pro, but if you get your name on a TRD OR hybrid, I am willing you bet you will see it this year. Lots of people will give up and buy the non hybrid because they just cant stand to wait any longer. So if you name is #30 on the list, I bet a whole lot of people will fall off of that list by the time these things are really ramped up in production.

Last edited:

mramseyisu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I'm in the camp of starting to lose interest.

When I first saw them announcement in May or whenever that was I was wanting a TRD pro. I called my preferred dealer and they put me on their wait list, first in line allegedly. I asked them about needing a deposit and was told not to worry about it, they don't do that until they can actually request an allocation. Fast forward a few months and the more I see of that Pro with those seats that eat up all the rear leg room I decided maybe I want at TRD off-road in the hybrid and I could always get the heritage grill/lightbar in the aftermarket and that ARB rear bumper was looking like it was a dealer available option for the off-road. I was pretty well set on on that configuration. Then prices started to drop on the Tundra. Now I don't "need" a full size truck, I rarely tow anything but a little more interior space for my teenaged boys would be nice. A fully loaded TRD OR is looking like it's going to run $58k or so with the hybrid and I can get a Tundra Limited with the TRD OR package and hybrid for about $63k right now around here because dealers are offering $3k-$5k off of MSRP on Tundras. When the Tacoma and Tundra is $10k apart in price I think the Tacoma is the winner for me but when that price gap is under $5k between the two that's a lot harder decision. The other thing is the rated gas mileage between the two is pretty indistinguishable, 22/17 for the gas Tundra vs the 23/19 for the Tacoma TRD OR. Where's the differences between the two vehicles? The price points and the fuel mileage don't really separate the two in my opinion.

On top of all of that I got to drive a new TRD sport Tacoma on Friday. It had the standard seats, not the 8 way power adjustable ones and I really disliked the seating position of that truck. Maybe the upgraded seats are better but if felt like I was sitting on the floor with my knees in my chest. I know the 3rd gen gets a lot of hate for the seating position in that but in the 8 years I've had my 3rd gen I've never had a problem with it. I'm going to go drive one with the updated seats before I make a decision, probably but I've definitely moved from the super excited for a new Tacoma camp to the I'm not sure what I want to get camp.

Edit: I just bought a Tundra Limited with the hybrid for a $1000 under dealer cost so I guess I've officially lost my interest in a Tacoma.
Sponsored

Last edited: