Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Sorry... There is 14 pages of posts I did not see yours clearly. My bad. What is the process for removing it?
You could replace the nuts with wingnuts.
Still kind of a pain but at least tool-less. Similar removal to other covers I've seen.

I certainly wouldn't want to do it daily, maybe monthly if i had a reason.
Sponsored

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
I bought this:

BAKFlip MX4 Upgrade Kit | RealTruck

I was told it works with the OEM cover, but I haven't tried it yet. Just picked up the cover yesterday, but I'm not installing it for at least a week.
Does it have 4 plastic knobs? The pic only shows two (you need 4). Placing the spacers is still quite finicky. Perhaps you could glue or add double sided tape to hold them in place.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Does it have 4 plastic knobs? The pic only shows two (you need 4). Placing the spacers is still quite finicky. Perhaps you could glue or add double sided tape to hold them in place.
I'll let y'all know what I find out in a week when it goes on the truck.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000

Sponsored

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Also maybe you could put the bike in and leave the last fold up for the handle bars? But I guess it depends how far your going....

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Anyone try to prop up the tri-fold with the prop rods against the back of the truck? I tried that when I went camping a couple weeks ago and it ended up scratching the truck at the points where it touched the truck, probably due to the bumps while I was headed on a dirt road. Just wanted to warn everyone in case they haven't tried propping it up like that.

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone try to prop up the tri-fold with the prop rods against the back of the truck? I tried that when I went camping a couple weeks ago and it ended up scratching the truck at the points where it touched the truck, probably due to the bumps while I was headed on a dirt road. Just wanted to warn everyone in case they haven't tried propping it up like that.
They provided foam bumpers that you need to stick to the neck of cover at that impact point!

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
They provided foam bumpers that you need to stick to the neck of cover at that impact point!
I had the foam bumpers there but I'm assuming with the bumpiness on the dirt road it caused some rubbing against the paint on the truck

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the foam bumpers there but I'm assuming with the bumpiness on the dirt road it caused some rubbing against the paint on the truck
oh man that’s a good point! This an OEM cover you are referring to MX4? Mine doesn’t touch the truck with the OEM prop rods latched.

Sponsored

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
oh man that’s a good point! This an OEM cover you are referring to MX4? Mine doesn’t touch the truck with the OEM prop rods latched.
Yeah, it might be my fault too. I adjusted the foam pads and I'm going to try to see if I could get it to not touch the truck when I prop it up. I am talking about the MX4, not the OEM.

alkregha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport (in production)
I installed my OEM tonneau this past weekend. On the whole, installation was easy... but I will point out a few lessons learned in hopes they benefit someone else.

1. The TORX T30 bolts in the deck rail can be wayyyy overtorqued from factory and strip out (this was the first time I ever stripped a torx bolt). Be careful removing these and maybe start with a manual driver instead of impact driver. My resolution was to use my oscillating tool to cut a big slot in the bolt cap, and then use a big 1/2" demolition slotted screwdriver to break it free. I had to use channel locks perpendicular to the driver to get enough torque to succeed. I attached a few pictures of the bolt and the tools I used.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma bolt_slot

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma bolt_tools

2. Starting with the rails, try to push them towards the cab of the truck as far as you can before securing. The reason, is you want to make sure the support arms (for when the cover is folded up against the back window) can reach the cover to lock in, without pulling the cover towards the tailgate. If they pull the cover towards the tailgate, it will prevent the foam pads from resting against the window, and likely block your rearview camera and/or hit against the painted part above the window. I have a photo showing where you should attempt to align the rail, and what you should try for (green arrows) as opposed to avoid (red arrows).

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma deck_rail_tem

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma support_arms_tem

With it completed... I can't say enough how well it is constructed, how well it works, and how excited I am to have it.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma finished_cover

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Not sure if anyone might still need this but I was FINALLY able to use the OEM drain holes after some support from Bakflip. I ended up contacting RealTruck to try and find a solution and they transferred me to Bakflip customer support. Long story, short they sent me the Ford Maverick drain tube adapters. They fit over the drain tubes that came with the Bakflip MX4 and I was able to install the adapters to the provided rubber tubing. What I ended up doing was stuffing the rubber tubing into the OEM holes, then connecting the other end to the adapter. From there I connected the adapter to the plastic tubing that came with the MX4. Hope this helps!
2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240823_152650
2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240823_152644

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
One of the hoses in my OEM kit was shorter than the other. Oh, and I only had ONE center hole, not two. So I ran both of them to the more exterior holes. Hope that is okay…

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Not sure if anyone might still need this but I was FINALLY able to use the OEM drain holes after some support from Bakflip. I ended up contacting RealTruck to try and find a solution and they transferred me to Bakflip customer support. Long story, short they sent me the Ford Maverick drain tube adapters. They fit over the drain tubes that came with the Bakflip MX4 and I was able to install the adapters to the provided rubber tubing. What I ended up doing was stuffing the rubber tubing into the OEM holes, then connecting the other end to the adapter. From there I connected the adapter to the plastic tubing that came with the MX4. Hope this helps!
20240823_152650.jpg
20240823_152644.jpg
I wonder if we can order these adaptors... I ended up drilling a 3/8 hole but I would much rather use this and shorten my hoses a little... (I ran to the 2 center holes)
Sponsored