Sponsored

Paint chip repair for hood of TRD PRO

PotatoTRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd pro
So the unfortunate happened on my 650mi road trip home with the truck only a day old I got a nasty rock chip on the side of the hood somewhere in the middle of wyoming. The chips is pretty big and deep almost down to the metal in one spot. I have called around a few placed and found a quite to fix it. they gave me two options, one for $375 to basically make it less noticable fill in the chip with paint. The other option is $950 and they would sand it down and fully respray the hood. they offer a lifetime warranty on the respray and have really solid google reviews. But what i'm struggling with is that is a brand new truck and i want it to look perfect, but on the other hand it a off-road truck that will actually get used off road and more chips and scratches are inevitable.

2024 Tacoma Paint chip repair for hood of TRD PRO IMG_8116
2024 Tacoma Paint chip repair for hood of TRD PRO IMG_8117
Sponsored

ReddingonTRD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Same boat, brother, except mine are around the rear fender flares and fender itself (seems to be a known issue). I went the Toyota touch up paint route. When done correctly, you can achieve very good results. I would avoid having the entire hook sprayed so early on. The $350 is an option but perhaps you can achieve the same results? That first one is the worst, but it’ll get better. Won’t be the last…

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I would imagine it's all shop dependent, but I'll give you my experience with a complete repair of the hood.

Had a 2017 CX5 repainted due to a collision and a year later the clear coat is already coming off and chipping out. So just something to be wary of if you go to a shop.

Desertrunner

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tacoma OR. 24 TRD pro
That sucks. I just had a local shop put some PPF on the rear quarter section. Only 500 miles and they were full of chips. Hopefully this helps.
2024 Tacoma Paint chip repair for hood of TRD PRO 91FC1C8B-512B-4361-A161-5B11FB5950CB

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy a 4th Gen taco soon.
That sucks. I just had a local shop put some PPF on the rear quarter section. Only 500 miles and they were full of chips. Hopefully this helps.
91FC1C8B-512B-4361-A161-5B11FB5950CB.jpeg
How much did this cost you? Wondering what I should expect to pay

Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I feel like non-metallic colors are usually pretty easy to touch up. I unfortunately have WCP and ended up with a couple knicks in my tailgate after I let my cousin borrow my truck (was a bad decision and I knew it ahead of time, lol).

My truck's WCP is notoriously hard to touch up (as it's a multi stage paint) but I've had really good luck with https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

I've pretty much used it and/or Dr. Colorchip on all my cars. For the automotive touchup stuff, buy a super fine tip paintbrush. Take it easy and don't over apply coats. For colorchip, apply, smear, wipe, and repeat.

I like to relate scratches, knicks, & chips to the stages of grief. First it's shock, then guilt & anger. Eventually you fix it, things may not be exactly the way the were before, but they're much better, and soon you'll forget it about it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much or overthink fixing it. Try the cheap options first, even Dr. Colorchip may work well on black.

OP
OP

PotatoTRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd pro
I feel like non-metallic colors are usually pretty easy to touch up. I unfortunately have WCP and ended up with a couple knicks in my tailgate after I let my cousin borrow my truck (was a bad decision and I knew it ahead of time, lol).

My truck's WCP is notoriously hard to touch up (as it's a multi stage paint) but I've had really good luck with https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

I've pretty much used it and/or Dr. Colorchip on all my cars. For the automotive touchup stuff, buy a super fine tip paintbrush. Take it easy and don't over apply coats. For colorchip, apply, smear, wipe, and repeat.

I like to relate scratches, knicks, & chips to the stages of grief. First it's shock, then guilt & anger. Eventually you fix it, things may not be exactly the way the were before, but they're much better, and soon you'll forget it about it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much or overthink fixing it. Try the cheap options first, even Dr. Colorchip may work well on black.
I ordered the dr color chip kit and I’ll post up the results but for like $70 it’s worth a shot

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@PotatoTRD I have used Dr. Colorchip on several different cars/trucks and it works very well. It usually gives you a much better repair than factory touch up paint. At the worst the chips are hard to see and some I have basically made completely disappear. I had a black car for years and the only thing I tried that worked really well on it was Dr. Colorchip.

I already have picked out a local shop to do my PPF. I have a quote for the front clip plus the rear flares. But now I am thinking of having the whole thing covered before it gets any chips. Then I will still get some blems off road, but that won't bother me much, because I am buying it for trail running.

A lot of 4th gens have had windshield chips and cracks, so I am considering the windshield protection that shop uses as well. This is how I spend my time while I wait, and wait and wait for my Pro. lol

Sponsored
OP
OP

PotatoTRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd pro
@PotatoTRD I have used Dr. Colorchip on several different cars/trucks and it works very well. It usually gives you a much better repair than factory touch up paint. At the worst the chips are hard to see and some I have basically made completely disappear. I had a black car for years and the only thing I tried that worked really well on it was Dr. Colorchip.

I already have picked out a local shop to do my PPF. I have a quote for the front clip plus the rear flares. But now I am thinking of having the whole thing covered before it gets any chips. Then I will still get some blems off road, but that won't bother me much, because I am buying it for trail running.

A lot of 4th gens have had windshield chips and cracks, so I am considering the windshield protection that shop uses as well. This is how I spend my time while I wait, and wait and wait for my Pro. lol
If you don’t mind me asking how much was the quote for your PPF? I got a quote for $2200 for the whole front clip (hood, bumper,headlights, fenders and mirrors)

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I had three quotes for the front clip. One was for $2,000 and two were for $2,500. The $2k quote would go to $2,500 if I add the rear flairs, the other two increased to $3k.

I really like the first shop and after I get the truck I want a quote from them for doing it all, which I expect to be $3k - $4k. A lot of money but then the truck isn't cheap and want to keep it nice but still use it.
Sponsored