Sponsored

Please explain the merits of PlastiDip for the inexperienced

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
To those that have used it - share your experiences, learnings, insights, cautions, etc.

Why use it? What not to use it for? How many coats? Longevity? Permanent? Temporary?

Seeking a serious "explain it like I'm 5 years old" for insight into using and experimenting with this approach on various truck parts.

Plenty of posts on using it on emblems, one on the wheels(!). What about the grille? Lower skirt? Handles?
What if you didn't like the result? Are you now stuck with it?

Thank you in advance to everyone willing to share and teach others
Sponsored

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
Interested in this. Does it really work on wheels as far as durability?

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
I dipped my wheels as i hated the chrome and i couldn't find any aftermarket or oem wheels that i liked and were available. It was an experiment for me and considered it as make-do till aftermarket catches up.

I think they look awesome. Its only been a couple months so i cant comment on durability. Hopefully it looks good for a few years - then i decide on re-coat or new wheels.

Be aware - if you do wheels, and that tire has to come off for repair or whatever, the coating will be damaged.

Here are my tips for whatever you dip:
- remove the part if possible
- spend more time on prep than application (make sure its super clean. My last step was to wipe everything with rubbing alcohol)
- soak the plastidip can in hot water for smooth spray to prevent globbing
- the first coat should be a light one
- later coats should be heavier but careful not too much for it to drip

2024 Tacoma Please explain the merits of PlastiDip for the inexperienced IMG_1642

PUMPKINKING

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off-Road Tacoma Solar Octane
I like Plastidip mostly because it's "idiot proof" in that if you make a mistake, or change your mind later on, it's very easy to remove.

If you used regular spray paint on something and change your mind later on, it would require a lot of work to remove that paint (and to me not worth it).

Plastidip, like spray paint works best with multiple light coats imo.

Also I suggest purchasing the Plastidip spray handle/gun, it makes things a lot easier.

nyydynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
I dipped my wheels as i hated the chrome and i couldn't find any aftermarket or oem wheels that i liked and were available. It was an experiment for me and considered it as make-do till aftermarket catches up.

I think they look awesome. Its only been a couple months so i cant comment on durability. Hopefully it looks good for a few years - then i decide on re-coat or new wheels.

Be aware - if you do wheels, and that tire has to come off for repair or whatever, the coating will be damaged.

Here are my tips for whatever you dip:
- remove the part if possible
- spend more time on prep than application (make sure its super clean. My last step was to wipe everything with rubbing alcohol)
- soak the plastidip can in hot water for smooth spray to prevent globbing
- the first coat should be a light one
- later coats should be heavier but careful not too much for it to drip

IMG_1642.jpg
This is pretty much spot on in terms of a quick "how-to". I would double down on the "prep" part. Don't underestimate the value of preparing whatever you're dipping. It takes longer to prep than to spray and if you cut any corners, you'll see it afterwards so take your time.
Sponsored