Rear shaking on 2024 TRD Off-Road Tacoma

coopcow

First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trd Offroad
Just put 2500 miles on my TRD off-road Tacoma. At highway speeds it has one of the worst rear shakes out of any vehicle I’ve owned. I have had the wheels balanced and aligned twice and the dealer thinks I’m crazy. Has anyone else had this issue. It feels like a shudder from the rear. I don’t feel it in the steering wheel as much, but in the body/seats of the truck itself. Worst riding truck I’ve ever had.
Sponsored

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I have an OR Tacoma. No shake… would the dealership consider sitting in your truck while you took them out for a road test, to show the problem to them? Sorry you are having this issue.. if you can get your hands on a hand held laser temperature tool… you might be able to get tire temp readings to see if one tire has a higher temp, if so… it could be due to the issue you mentioned.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Just put 2500 miles on my TRD off-road Tacoma. At highway speeds it has one of the worst rear shakes out of any vehicle I’ve owned. I have had the wheels balanced and aligned twice and the dealer thinks I’m crazy. Has anyone else had this issue. It feels like a shudder from the rear. I don’t feel it in the steering wheel as much, but in the body/seats of the truck itself. Worst riding truck I’ve ever had.
Something is not right if all that has been done. I'm seriously impressed with just how good my same model is at speed loaded and unloaded.

Having been through stuff like this before..... I don't know if the wheels on a '24 are hub or lug-centric. Sometimes a place doesn't have the right gear to balance properly. The actual roadway can make a difference. A lot of a freeway near me will have one of our vehicles vibrate or shudder there but not all over. I bring this up because that problem is felt in the seats and not steering wheel. It is felt more in the front seats of that vehicle than rear.

One time for something similar Discount Tire stores with good training and gear found a bad OEM tire but at least gave me the ammo for dealer to fix it. I've also had a bad bearings and drive shaft not properly diagnosed by dealer. Some dealers are better than others.

Good luck.

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Took my sr5 on a 180 mile trip through upstate pa and I thought it drove great really smooth. Not sure what your issue might be….i will say my truck is a bit annoying in low speeds stop and go traffic

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Something is not right if all that has been done. I'm seriously impressed with just how good my same model is at speed loaded and unloaded.

Having been through stuff like this before..... I don't know if the wheels on a '24 are hub or lug-centric. Sometimes a place doesn't have the right gear to balance properly. The actual roadway can make a difference. A lot of a freeway near me will have one of our vehicles vibrate or shudder there but not all over. I bring this up because that problem is felt in the seats and not steering wheel. It is felt more in the front seats of that vehicle than rear.

One time for something similar Discount Tire stores with good training and gear found a bad OEM tire but at least gave me the ammo for dealer to fix it. I've also had a bad bearings and drive shaft not properly diagnosed by dealer. Some dealers are better than others.

Good luck.
^this

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma OR
Even though you will be out money that you shouldn't have to pay. I'd take it to a Firestone store and get them to diagnose the tire/balance issue. As bitflogger mentioned, you could then use that as ammo for a replacement at the dealer. 99% betting it's a bad tire.

I recently got some new Pirelli ATs for my 1st gen Tundra at discount tire and had bad seat vibrations. Got them to re-balance and it didn't fix it so I swapped them out for Coopers which are vibration free. I could have had them chase down the bad tire and order a replacement but I didn't want to deal with it.

Sponsored

docman10

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma off-road premium
I have been dealing with a shudder/vibration in my new (10/08 purchase). Dealers told me another new truck has same shudder therefore it is normal. BS. I read try moving the spare tire round the wheels and see if one position helpS. Indeed, when I got to front right tire, it helped. Suggests a bad tire. Ive dealt with bad OEN tires in the past, and dealers nor tire manufacturer want to address this. I escalated up dealership and with Toyota. Truck going back in tomorrow and I will inform what I found. Stupid I have to diagnose myself. They already did a “forced wheel balance” prior to this and it didn’t help, which they admitted it probably wouldnT help.

OP
OP

coopcow

First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trd Offroad
UPDATE: was told two rear tires were defective and the dealership was counter balancing and not addressing the issue. Will get new tires in the rear, hopefully on the company’s dime!

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
UPDATE: was told two rear tires were defective and the dealership was counter balancing and not addressing the issue. Will get new tires in the rear, hopefully on the company’s dime!
Most people won’t advocate for themselves! Well done! It should be on BFG’s dime. Don’t give them a penny. If you have options move on from that dealership.