Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
Good afternoon gentleman (and ladies),

So after adding my Westcott lift and 285/65R20 tires (20x9 +20 rims) Im getting some pretty serious rock dings on the leading edge of both rear fenders as I do spend a lot of time on dirt roads. When I installed the lift I was forced to take off the front mud flaps and the crash plates, so that’s definitely not helping my situation, but I chose 285/65’s in hopes that a 11.2” tire would limit this type of situation. Any suggestions as to either how to protect my paint and metal on my rear fenders? I’m considering buying some PPF or something, but I’m not sure if that would be the best solution. I guess bigger fender flares might be an option as well. Any thoughts? Is anyone else having this issue?

**attached pictures show how much poke I have, as well as the rock dings that I’ve got on the front of both rear fenders.

2024 Tacoma Rock Dings after lifting and adding bigger tires IMG_5253

2024 Tacoma Rock Dings after lifting and adding bigger tires IMG_5252

2024 Tacoma Rock Dings after lifting and adding bigger tires IMG_4870
Sponsored

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
Yup, I’m going next week to add some PPF to that area before it happens to me. The bulging flares fenders are beafy but they are a lot more prone to chipping!

OP
OP

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
Yup, I’m going next week to add some PPF to that area before it happens to me. The bulging flares fenders are beafy but they are a lot more prone to chipping!
i like the look of the truck with the amount of poke it has and never really liked the look of the obnoxious fender flares. Have you been coated a price for just that part of the truck?

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
i like the look of the truck with the amount of poke it has and never really liked the look of the obnoxious fender flares. Have you been coated a price for just that part of the truck?
I already had a front partial installed and he quoted me $100-$200 depending on if he adds a piece above the existing factory protective film versus pulling the existing piece and making one large piece.

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
This is always going to be a problem with that much poke. Maybe see if there are some bigger aftermarket mud flaps you can use.

Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
I test drove one yesterday. One thing I noticed was how wide the front and rear fenders poke out! Looks good but definitely a rock catcher! PPF will help the paint but you’ll still get dents? If your going to have tire poke you’re going to need big mud flaps.. like https://rokblokz.com/

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
You guys telling him to buy mudflaps missed the part of his post where he said that he had to take them off in the front, because apparently his wheels are too big.

Everyone who runs wheels that poke should understand that they'll sustain paint damage if they go off the concrete, especially if they take their mudflaps off.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
You guys telling him to buy mudflaps missed the part of his post where he said that he had to take them off in the front, because apparently his wheels are too big.

Everyone who runs wheels that poke should understand that they'll sustain paint damage if they go off the concrete, especially if they take their mudflaps off.
Didn’t miss it at all… That’s why I suggested RokBlokz. They are only 3/16 of an inch thick and should work with the larger tires.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
Here's a video of a guy with KO's with the same problem. Check out the 3:25 mark.

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
Here's a video of a guy with KO's with the same problem. Check out the 3:25 mark.
So it doesn’t appear wheel poke is the problem since this guy has stock wheels. Better mud flap coverage would help, as would some paint protection film.

Sponsored

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
I’ve got more poke than I wanted with +12 RRW wheels and MT Baja AT 285/70/17 tires, but no rock chips after 3,000 miles. I’m not running gravel roads every day, but my gravel drive is about 400 yds.

The tires aren’t picking up the rocks like previous tires I’ve owned. The lug spacing has a more open pattern. Maybe that’s why? Maybe the rubber compound? IDK

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Is this really a suspise after going to the "poke" look

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport

I’m running 285/75R17 with Method 703 +35 set back. I noticed chips so I ordered some generic mudflap material from Amazon for $20 and fashioned these until the aftermarket catches up.

2024 Tacoma Rock Dings after lifting and adding bigger tires IMG_6785

2024 Tacoma Rock Dings after lifting and adding bigger tires IMG_6786

Trocious

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Premium
I’m running 285/75R17 with Method 703 +35 set back. I noticed chips so I ordered some generic mudflap material from Amazon for $20 and fashioned these until the aftermarket catches up.

IMG_6785.jpeg

IMG_6786.jpeg
After browsing through tons of universal mudflaps I think those look better than most. A lot of them are huge. I might have to look into fabricating my own. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored

Reactions: JED