Rough transmission shifts

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
It could be. Mine never reports itself in gears 1 or 2 even when fully stopped (which ironically seem to be the two gears giving me problems). The lowest it ever shows is gear 3 on the dash.
Hopefully some owners can answer whether Tacomas normally display first and second gears. I am guessing that they do when working correctly and the fact that your problems are with those two gears does not sound like a coincidence to me. The failing torque converters seem to take out the shift solenoids , which is why other failing transmissions have lost lower gears completely.

Maybe you should ask the dealer if it is normal for it to just ignore the first two gears. You could ask to drive another Taco and see what it does. It sounds like your dealer is jerking you around, since other people say that their trucks shift fine out of park and between the lower gears.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Hopefully some owners can answer whether Tacomas normally display first and second gears. I am guessing that they do when working correctly and the fact that your problems are with those two gears does not sound like a coincidence to me. The failing torque converters seem to take out the shift solenoids , which is why other failing transmissions have lost lower gears completely.

Maybe you should ask the dealer if it is normal for it to just ignore the first two gears. You could ask to drive another Taco and see what it does. It sounds like your dealer is jerking you around, since other people say that their trucks shift fine out of park and between the lower gears.

I have an auto, but can see 1 & 2 when shifting into manual mode.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I have an auto, but can see 1 & 2 when shifting into manual mode.
There you go @soxrok2212. Put your truck in manual mode and try to shift into 1 & 2. If it won't do that it is already on its way out, because rough shifts followed by losing lower gears is how these transmissions have been failing.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road

I have an auto, but can see 1 & 2 wh
If you are in normal drive and you come to a stop, THEN put it into manual mode, what does it report?
It's always started out in S3 (so 3rd) when going in to manual. That's at a slow roll though. Never tried it from a complete stop. I've seen people report theirs always comes up in S3 when switching into it though.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
t's always started out in S3 (so 3rd) when going in to manual. That's at a slow roll though. Never tried it from a complete stop. I've seen people report theirs always comes up in S3 when switching into it though.
So that might be normal. It would help @soxrok2212 if someone can confirm that there is a way to get it to display S1 and S2.

soxrok2212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
So that might be normal. It would help @soxrok2212 if someone can confirm that there is a way to get it to display S1 and S2.
Sorry I guess my comment was incorrect. I can manually put it into 1 and 2, but when first putting it into manual mode it always reports 3. I don't feel any engagement when stopped, but it's bad when moving, even slowly. I'll see if I can find a safe place to grab a video after I pick it up from the dealer.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@soxrok2212 I don't have my new Taco yet, but I have never driven any Toyota where any shifts were rough. Another forum member has said that if you have rough shifts your transmission is on its way out, bit I don't know if he is right.

A video could be a big help. I can hardly detect when my 2011 Tundra shifts into or out of any gear and the same was true for my 2nd gen Taco. That makes me think your dealer's claim that this is normal is flat out wrong.

Pdlhappy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR% 4dr 4x4, 2003 4Runner SR5 4x4
Dealer said they can't find anything wrong, the funky rattling, hard park to drive engagements and harsh downshifts in the lower gears are all normal characteristics of the truck. I'm not too sure I'm buying that claim but at least I do have it documented now...
My trans went out completely. Towed to dealer May 10th, got vehicle back July 25th with new trans and torque converter. Shift's like a dream with none of the problems previously experienced. I have only been able to put about 700 miles on since getting it back and looking forward to reaching the 1K mark post-repair since all of my problems were prior to 1K miles.

soxrok2212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Sorry I guess my comment was incorrect. I can manually put it into 1 and 2, but when first putting it into manual mode it always reports 3. I don't feel any engagement when stopped, but it's bad when moving, even slowly. I'll see if I can find a safe place to grab a video after I pick it up from the dealer.
I wasn’t able to get a good video of the harsh down shifts, it’s a bit harder to capture it in video, but I did grab the loud rattling noise:

This noise happens in park, reverse and drive. Park happens less frequently, but almost every time I put it in drive or reverse it’s VERY audible. Anyone else hearing this?

Sponsored
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 double cab
Just got mine back after being at the dealer for a week. Was put into drive and rpms went to like 4500, would barely move. Did this numerous times. Then shifted harshly on up and down shifts. Dealer found a code for a shift solenoid. Vehicle was starting out in sixth gear. Also a bit low on fluid. Toyota told them to clear code and duplicate. They said they could not. Drove w tech it shifted normally according to him. Drove a new one it shifted way smoother. They believe it will probably fail but can’t do anything until then. Definitely don’t feel confident on taking a road trip up north. Will see what happens!

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
That sucks to hear. my 3/24 build taco shifts smoothly so far. Ford 10 speed transmissions in the f150 are programmed to skip gears when possible to get to 10th gear as fast as possible to make the epa happy. I wonder if yota has something similar going on. I got rid of an f150 because this behavior was jarring. best of luck to anyone with any apparent teething issues but I’m sure yota will make it right in the end.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@Plumbers 1st Taco It sounds like Toyota is stonewalling any transmission problems that they can. Clear the code and see what happens? That is bs and Toyota should know that.

Maybe they are just dragging their feet because transmissions are failing faster than they can get replacements. It is not like Toyota to design such a cool truck and then not be able to produce reliable copies. This is going to really tarnish their reputation.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
Just got mine back after being at the dealer for a week. Was put into drive and rpms went to like 4500, would barely move. Did this numerous times. Then shifted harshly on up and down shifts. Dealer found a code for a shift solenoid. Vehicle was starting out in sixth gear. Also a bit low on fluid. Toyota told them to clear code and duplicate. They said they could not. Drove w tech it shifted normally according to him. Drove a new one it shifted way smoother. They believe it will probably fail but can’t do anything until then. Definitely don’t feel confident on taking a road trip up north. Will see what happens!
When mine went out at 5000 miles I didn’t have any symptoms before hand. It just shifted harshly in to drive and started in 6 gear. 1-5 wouldn’t engage at all. My truck has been at dealer for 3 weeks now. They have new trans and torgue converter in they are making sure all is good. Hopefully I can get it today

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
@Plumbers 1st Taco It sounds like Toyota is stonewalling any transmission problems that they can. Clear the code and see what happens? That is bs and Toyota should know that.

Maybe they are just dragging their feet because transmissions are failing faster than they can get replacements. It is not like Toyota to design such a cool truck and then not be able to produce reliable copies. This is going to really tarnish their reputation.

Good luck and keep us informed.
I kinda happy mine went out when it did. The dealer just got another Tacoma in for transmission. So mine has a new one now because more truck pull up. Just hope Toyota fix the real cause for the fail
Sponsored