Rough transmission shifts

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I think it is a small number too, and I will probably go ahead and buy it whenever it finally is available. It is just hard to justify a big investment in a new truck when my 13 year old Tundra never misses a beat and runs like new.

Sometimes I think, I am going to spend how much to get a truck I'm not sure I can count on?
Keep your tundra and the tacoma. I think you’ll be fine .
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Keep your tundra and the tacoma. I think you’ll be fine .
But that's my problem, if I keep the Tundra I can't afford the Taco. Even worse my wife has a battery electric and no way can we travel in that thing, so I will really be counting on the Taco as our primary vehicle.

When I first thought of that it was, cool, I love to travel in a Tacoma. Now it is, I hope it doesn't die out on the road or worse in the wilderness.

When I see it I will fall in love and get it, I'm sure. I just wish Toyota would tell us what the hell is going on so we can all go back to trusting their trucks.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
But that's my problem, if I keep the Tundra I can't afford the Taco. Even worse my wife has a battery electric and no way can we travel in that thing, so I will really be counting on the Taco as our primary vehicle.

When I first thought of that it was, cool, I love to travel in a Tacoma. Now it is, I hope it doesn't die out on the road or worse in the wilderness.

When I see it I will fall in love and get it, I'm sure. I just wish Toyota would tell us what the hell is going on so we can all go back to trusting their trucks.
I understand, I do think we’ll have answers soon, I’m still debating calling corporate and filing a concern

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
I think I will buy mine too. My first Toyota ever. It will be the canary that decides if I or anyone in my extended family and friends ever buys a Toyota again.
In the past I’ve have good luck with a new Ram, new VW’s and most all of my used GM’s.

Ironically, those are some of the brands Toyota fan bois like to make fun of.

Sponsored

CanyonFisherSummitSeeker

First Name
Chapman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
I’m having occasional rough shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 in the mornings or after the truck has been sitting a while. Once I’ve cycled through once it generally shifts very smoothly the rest of the drive.
I have taken the time to let the truck warm up, and it will still sometimes rough shift. I’ve also started it and driven without giving a few minutes to idle and warm up and it will sometimes shift smoothly even when not warmed up.
So I don’t really know what to think. Coming up on 4K miles. I’ll definitely bring it up with my 5k service but I fear unless they let the car sit overnight and drive it first thing in the AM they won’t experience the rough shifts. Disconcerting to say the least.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I’m having occasional rough shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 in the mornings or after the truck has been sitting a while. Once I’ve cycled through once it generally shifts very smoothly the rest of the drive.
I have taken the time to let the truck warm up, and it will still sometimes rough shift. I’ve also started it and driven without giving a few minutes to idle and warm up and it will sometimes shift smoothly even when not warmed up.
So I don’t really know what to think. Coming up on 4K miles. I’ll definitely bring it up with my 5k service but I fear unless they let the car sit overnight and drive it first thing in the AM they won’t experience the rough shifts. Disconcerting to say the least.
Pretty much describes my truck. Mine does this weird thing sometimes too when letting off the gas in stop and go traffic and then coming to a stop I get this 1 sec rumble strip vibration/shudder coming from the rear of the truck. Only does it occasionally.

Last edited:

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma OR
Almost every truck I've owned has some stiff 1-2-3 shifts first thing after a cold start. My 24 RAM 2500 did the same as did my 21 Tundra, 23 Tundra and so does my 05 Tundra and 06 Silverado. It takes a longggg time for the transmission to warm up compared to the engine. I wouldn't worry about it or waste your time at the dealer, they'll just say they didn't find anything.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@batman900 I agree that the dealer probably won't do anything about this.

My last two Toyota trucks were automatics (2nd gen Taco and Tundra) and neither ever had a rough shift, not once in over 15 years of driving them. Other 4th gen Tacoma owners report that their trucks never do this, so if mine does I will be concerned.

Pdlhappy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR% 4dr 4x4, 2003 4Runner SR5 4x4
I understand, I do think we’ll have answers soon, I’m still debating calling corporate and filing a concern
Corporate has been loaded with calls and open files. The overstocked lots with 2024 Tacoma's they can't sell isn't just about the high sticker prices. After having the trans and torque converter replaced my shift problems are gone

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
My truck should finally be here within a week, and this will be the first Toyota product that I will test drive before buying, mainly because of this problem.

I think that the rough shifts are early signs of solenoid damage in the transmission from the debris in some of the torque converters. That is why I am concerned about shift quality in these trucks.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma OR
@batman900 I agree that the dealer probably won't do anything about this.

My last two Toyota trucks were automatics (2nd gen Taco and Tundra) and neither ever had a rough shift, not once in over 15 years of driving them. Other 4th gen Tacoma owners report that their trucks never do this, so if mine does I will be concerned.
I also owned 2 3rd gens. I guess I should clarify, cold start shifts are always a little stiffer/more noticeable unless someone is just oblivious to it like 99% of non enthusiasts. Not necessarily “rough.” Although rough or harsh shifts can also be considered normal behavior depending on the vehicle, I wouldn’t consider it normal in this one. The late model Silverado 6 and 8 speed for example when cold could shift so harsh you thought you got rear ended, it didn't cause them to break, they just sucked at behaving.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Corporate has been loaded with calls and open files. The overstocked lots with 2024 Tacoma's they can't sell isn't just about the high sticker prices. After having the trans and torque converter replaced my shift problems are gone
Hard times I guess for Toyota. Hope they get it all sorted out soon

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I think that a judge in a class action case just ordered GM to recall something like 800k 8 speed transmissions for bad shifts.