Sponsored

Shudder coming to stop - transmission death or normal?

bresna

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
The hybrid Toyota vehicles I've owned normally switch from regenerative braking to mechanical braking at ~5 mph. It's barely noticeable with a CVT, which most hybrid vehicles have, but I have no idea if it's more noticeable with a normal tranny.

It's too bad the Taco hybrid doesn't have a 'B' gear. In other Toyota hybrids, putting the car into 'B' disengages the regenerative braking and forces the vehicle to use mechanical braking. I used to use 'B' every now & then just to knock the rust off the rotors.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
The hybrid Toyota vehicles I've owned normally switch from regenerative braking to mechanical braking at ~5 mph. It's barely noticeable with a CVT, which most hybrid vehicles have, but I have no idea if it's more noticeable with a normal tranny.

It's too bad the Taco hybrid doesn't have a 'B' gear. In other Toyota hybrids, putting the car into 'B' disengages the regenerative braking and forces the vehicle to use mechanical braking. I used to use 'B' every now & then just to knock the rust off the rotors.

I have no issue with how it brakes. Just want to know if it’s an early transmission failure sign. I will just never know until my transmission fails.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I have no issue with how it brakes. Just want to know if it’s an early transmission failure sign. I will just never know until my transmission fails.
You outta take your truck to the dealership and have it looked at and documented, the more people that complain the faster a fix might come. Who knows maybe it’s something entirely different and they can fix it. Call Toyota corporate as well and voice your concern, we’re all in it together and somewhat concerned and left in the dark driving very expensive brand new trucks. Maybe while your at the dealer test drive another hybrid model to see if it does the same thing yours is doing

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
You outta take your truck to the dealership and have it looked at and documented, the more people that complain the faster a fix might come. Who knows maybe it’s something entirely different and they can fix it. Call Toyota corporate as well and voice your concern, we’re all in it together and somewhat concerned and left in the dark driving very expensive brand new trucks. Maybe while your at the dealer test drive another hybrid model to see if it does the same thing yours is doing
I will definitely drive another hybrid. I was thinking that. I will make sure it’s not in the TSB.
Sponsored