Sponsored

dvrgz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Long Bed
Figured I'd post my progress on my blackout build for my '24 WCP Limited.

Was between the TRD Sport & Limited when I was buying my truck, but was never a fan of the scoop. So, I needed to figure out how to get rid of the chrome, and quickly :)

After 3 months and approximately 5K miles, love the truck. Plan on pulling my trailer to Moab (from Chicago) next month and we'll see how she does on her first true long distance towing test.

Done so far :

-> OE TRD Pro Heritage Grill w/ Heretic 20" Lightbar
-> OE Black Lower Bumper Trim
-> OE Gloss Black Mirror Caps
-> OE Badge Blackout
-> Blackout Door Handle Covers
-> OE TRD Skid (Aluminum)
-> 18x8 RAYS ALAP-07X +32
-> Wildpeak AT4W 265/70R18
-> KYO-EI +10mm Wheel Studs
-> Ark Mudguards
-> Bedstep
-> Viofo Dashcam
-> Lomax Urethane Tonneau

Left to do :

-> Roof Crossbars (maybe a rack)
-> Blackout Tailgate Lettering
-> Blackout Tailgate Handle
-> WCS Antenna Install (if I can ever figure it out)

PXL_20240808_162406690~3.jpg

PXL_20240808_162650442~4.jpg

PXL_20240808_162746379~3.jpg
The airstream though 😍
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@Gurvy522 I like what you are doing with your Limited. IMO it looks much better than stock.

My Tundra is a Limited because I wanted all the features, but I have been removing chrome since I bought it. I tried forever to find a grill surround in body color, but Toyota makes them for almost every color but mine.

Taconatron

First Name
nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
Hey what ply are these tires? Please post more pics? I have 18s and finding tires are a pain.

Bobby T

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 sr5
Looks great any issue getting that front grill on ?

OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Hey what ply are these tires? Please post more pics? I have 18s and finding tires are a pain.
They're SL's so I believe they're 4-ply, but they don't technically have a ply rating. Falken does make a 10-ply E rated AT4W, but unless you're doing some serious wheeling and want extra stiffness and flat protection, they're going to ride rougher, make more noise, and kill your gas mileage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Looks great any issue getting that front grill on ?
Not really, the clips are somewhat annoying but otherwise the install was uneventful. I designed both the lightbar bracket and the camera bracket from scratch, which took some extra time. But removing the whole front clip was pretty straightforward. There's a couple Youtube videos you can reference.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road

Was between the TRD Sport & Limited when I was buying my truck, but was never a fan of the scoop. So, I needed to figure out how to get rid of the chrome, and quickly :)

After 3 months and approximately 5K miles, love the truck. Plan on pulling my trailer to Moab (from Chicago) next month and we'll see how she does on her first true long distance towing test.

Done so far :

-> OE Badge Blackout
-> Ark Mudguards
-> Bedstep
-> Viofo Dashcam

Left to do :

Ya this was the move blacking out limited. Nice build brotha

JR760

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I'm liking the TRD pro grille upgrade and light bar. Think that's gonna be a go for me.

Tacohunter2024

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime → '24 TRD OR or Sport

Done so far :

-> OE Badge Blackout
-> Ark Mudguards
-> Bedstep
-> Viofo Dashcam

Left to do :

Is that an Airstream Basecamp? Are you using the Tacoma to pull it? If so, how does it handle it?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Is that an Airstream Basecamp? Are you using the Tacoma to pull it? If so, how does it handle it?
Yup, it's the 20X. So far, so good. It's only 4300 GWR and I do run a WDH, mostly for the built in sway protection, but the Taco's been doing really well with it. We've done about 5-6 trips this season so far. We have a long trip planned to Utah next month so that'll be the true test of the towing capabilities, given the grades we'll need to tackle on the way up there.

Biggest complaint is the mileage and our miniature fuel tanks. I typically get to about ~210 miles before needing a refuel. Really hoping LRA or someone comes out with a larger tank - will help a lot with the towing experience.

sherrye

First Name
Sherrye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota tacoma

Done so far :

-> OE Badge Blackout
-> Ark Mudguards
-> Bedstep
-> Viofo Dashcam

Left to do :

I love the chrome---ordered TRD no blackout and the factory did half and half
I would love to buy your chrome wheels ---Im in Conway AR--probably shipping is prohibitive???
501-847-1310

OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I love the chrome---ordered TRD no blackout and the factory did half and half
I would love to buy your chrome wheels ---Im in Conway AR--probably shipping is prohibitive???
501-847-1310
Wasn't really intending on selling them, but if I did, not sure how prohibitive it'll be. We can move this convo to DM and I can probably get a quote for you. My company does a lot of shipping with R&L so we have some pretty competitive rates with them - but shipping costs in general have been pretty high for LTL. Just shoot me over a DM and we can discuss.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
Doing the same. I purchased the door handle covers, and my set in gloss black looks really good. Super happy with this portion of the chrome delete.

So far I've done:

Tundra 20" wheels in black
color-matched mirror covers
door handle covers

incoming:
"Limited" badge covers
rear "TACOMA" decal in black
rear handle cover
black lug nuts
black chrome exhaust tip

For now, I'm not worrying about the front grill. Will see how it looks after the current set of chrome delete.

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2312.JPG
Hey, could you post a pic of the rear handle cover and where you got it. Thanks!

gr8outdoors62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier, G35, tbd Taco
I am new to the forum and a bit ahead of myself since I am still looking for my truck :). I have been been following the 'blackout" activity since I am likely going down that same path. Thanks in advance to Gurvy522...looks like quality work.

Grill:
I like love the idea of the Grill/light bar combo as part of the blackout transition. Any info on tips or lessons learned is appreciated. Are the grills pretty much interchangeable (attach points, etc) or is there more serious work to be done there? And the lights...guessing that power/harness was all new?

Handles:
The purist in me wants to replace them...but I hate tearing into a new door even more. So I am thinking about wrapping them (anyone done that)? I have applied Scotchcal protective film on lots of fun surfaces...so it seems plausible. The plastic covers are intriguing because of the simplicity....are they bulky or lose fitting? They seem popular but I don't want to negatively affect the feel of such a practical feature of the truck (i.e getting in).

Wheels/Tires (specifically for bumping up from stock 265/65R18 to 265/70R18)
Lots of options there, but I was curious about Gurvy522 opting to move the tires out 22mm (offset change from stock). When you factor in the wheel width change (from 7.5 stock to 8.0), I think you end up picking up 17mm of clearance on the inside and push the outside of the tire out 29mm (a little over an inch). Was there a method to the madness...like need clearance or does the 265/70R18 fit without the offset/width changes? How is the "poke"...I did not seem much if any from the images...but the math says they should have moved out a bit at least. Looks great btw...just curious if it was intentional to get clearance for some reason.

Bonus points if anyone has knowledge around the widest 265/70R18 (32.6 dia) that has been successful on stock LIMITED wheel (18' dia, 7.5" wide, 55mm offset)

mrgooden....there may be another set of chromes for you in TX (y)

Speed/Odometer Cal
What is the consensus on recalibrating the speed/odometer after bumping up to bigger tire diameter(s)?

And thanks for the knowledge sharing that has allowed me to start planning in advance.
Sponsored