Trailhunter max tire size

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Dude that’s excellent - how is the poke so modest ? Those tires are almost 12” wide.
My big mud flaps may be hiding the width, they’re pretty wide tho. Maybe an inch wider than stock on each side

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I think I’ll copy the ARK flaps - how are they doing? Are they flexible enough to fully bend over terrain without tearing them out ?
Yeah. They’re pretty nice, maybe 3/16” thick.. decently flexible. I got the splash guards also, easy install but the holes weren’t exact. Good thing it’s easily conformed

Sponsored

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I think I’ll copy the ARK flaps - how are they doing? Are they flexible enough to fully bend over terrain without tearing them out ?
My big mud flaps may be hiding the width, they’re pretty wide tho. Maybe an inch wider than stock on each side

I see - yeah the flap is hiding about an inch? It looks good though and any fling should get caught by the new flaps - are you experiencing rock chips up in front of the rear fender / on the rear fender

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I see - yeah the flap is hiding about an inch? It looks good though and any fling should get caught by the new flaps - are you experiencing rock chips up in front of the rear fender / on the rear fender
No, zero fling

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter Bronze Oxide; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Here’s a couple more. Just for to camp and actually have signal.

2024 Tacoma Trailhunter max tire size IMG_4531

2024 Tacoma Trailhunter max tire size IMG_4532

2024 Tacoma Trailhunter max tire size IMG_4533

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Here’s a couple more. Just for to camp and actually have signal.

IMG_4531.jpeg

IMG_4532.jpeg

IMG_4533.jpeg
Both trucks look excellent. What it looks like to me is the tread pattern lines up with the outer edge of the fender flare and that the angled part that forms the sidewall is poking - maybe an inch max - looks good for me. I’m trending toward 285/70/18 KO3s

Sponsored

JaKOwNz7

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailhunter
Both trucks look excellent. What it looks like to me is the tread pattern lines up with the outer edge of the fender flare and that the angled part that forms the sidewall is poking - maybe an inch max - looks good for me. I’m trending toward 285/70/18 KO3s
I am getting the same once these tires wear out. Weird how on american tires, the 295s KO3s are cheaper than the 285s and weighs the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I am getting the same once these tires wear out. Weird how on american tires, the 295s KO3s are cheaper than the 285s and weighs the same.
Yeah. The 295s are only 1.3lb more. I wish the 285s came in C load.

RESQCAT

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (very modified!)
The research I have done suggests that a 17-inch wheel is preferred for offroading given the increase in sidewall. Some go to 35s and may require some lift or fender trimming to fit. I elected to stay with a 33-inch tire for a number of reasons.

I wanted to keep the speedometer pretty close to OEM (it is now off by only .03% or 0.2mph at 60 mph). On 285s my truck is going 60.2 mph rather than 60mph, an acceptable error for me. No lift was required, no trimming, and all fits fine.

We use time/distance calcs in SAR if GPS is not available and as an analog backup. Also citizens often identify our trucks and so we have to be careful of observing speed limits, traffic laws, or we might get a call about alleged infractions from our SAR Deputy... not a good thing! We are there to solve problems and not create them.

I have been running 31 inch tires on a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4 inch lift, long arm suspension, and far more, for 24 years. I have done extensive offroading in WA, OR, UT, ID, AZ with it, and on trails rated at 8... even 9 (yes I do the bypass routes if body damaged is otherwise assured.) Most of the time technique and trailspotting works for me. Not saying that a big lift is not helpful in certain use cases... but not mine.

Mods are compromises and personal in nature. And, while you get one result you may get another less desired. For example, adding all the steel (roof rack, bumpers, winch, rock rails, etc.) to my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee meant that towing my 2000lb T@B320S trailer became a real problem. I have to reduce speed to 45mph or less to go up a hill... But my Jeep rocks! Just not fast.

There's no absolute right or wrong answer unless you damage your truck or make it unsafe.

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
The research I have done suggests that a 17-inch wheel is preferred for offroading given the increase in sidewall. Some go to 35s and may require some lift or fender trimming to fit. I elected to stay with a 33-inch tire for a number of reasons.

I wanted to keep the speedometer pretty close to OEM (it is now off by only .03% or 0.2mph at 60 mph). On 285s my truck is going 60.2 mph rather than 60mph, an acceptable error for me. No lift was required, no trimming, and all fits fine.

We use time/distance calcs in SAR if GPS is not available and as an analog backup. Also citizens often identify our trucks and so we have to be careful of observing speed limits, traffic laws, or we might get a call about alleged infractions from our SAR Deputy... not a good thing! We are there to solve problems and not create them.

I have been running 31 inch tires on a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4 inch lift, long arm suspension, and far more, for 24 years. I have done extensive offroading in WA, OR, UT, ID, AZ with it, and on trails rated at 8... even 9 (yes I do the bypass routes if body damaged is otherwise assured.) Most of the time technique and trailspotting works for me. Not saying that a big lift is not helpful in certain use cases... but not mine.

Mods are compromises and personal in nature. And, while you get one result you may get another less desired. For example, adding all the steel (roof rack, bumpers, winch, rock rails, etc.) to my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee meant that towing my 2000lb T@B320S trailer became a real problem. I have to reduce speed to 45mph or less to go up a hill... But my Jeep rocks! Just not fast.

There's no absolute right or wrong answer unless you damage your truck or make it unsafe.

All pragmatic and cant argue with you - I’m going with 33.7” because it just looks badass and I’ll never need more (and I get the sidewall that I need on an 18) - speedo impact minimal - just wish could find C load (also on the Speedo our trucks already show faster speed than reality so delta will be tiny for me)
Sponsored

Last edited: