Sponsored

Trailhunter oil change without removing skid plate?

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Can an oil change be done with the Trail Hunter skid plate without removing it ?

If not, maybe a small hole could be added for a funnel to sit in... Not sure if you can reach around to loosen the filter and drain bolt.
Sponsored

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Can an oil change be done with the Trail Hunter skid plate without removing it ?

If not, maybe a small hole could be added for a funnel to sit in... Not sure if you can reach around to loosen the filter and drain bolt.
You just have to remove 4 bolts. Is all the cutting and drilling, which requires removing the plate, worth the time to save 90 seconds every 5000 miles? Over a 200,000 mile vehicle life, your total time saved doing 5000 mile oil changes is 1 hour.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
great question. following. Probably need to remove the entire plate for the oil filter too?

Yota's garage is claiming installing the TH skid plate can be done in under 30 minutes. I'd say it'll take longer than 90 seconds to remove those bolts! But not 25 minutes either! There's an indentation centered on this plate where you can jack the truck up. Need a floor jack or 2 sets of hands to lower it/re-install it IMO. Doesn't look too heavy in the video. A good time to clean it off or store for the winter.

2024 Tacoma Trailhunter oil change without removing skid plate? Trailhunter_Skid_Plate

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Im reviewing my options before I buy a skid plate.

The Trailhunter skid is easy enough to remove but other skids allow for oil changes without removal.

Its not the only consideration but sounds useful to me.

Bob A

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter July 25 Purchase
@Independence Overland pointed out in his video at 17:55 that they made the removal and installation of the plate a little easier by allowing the plate to hang off a front and rear bolt. Still not a easy to remove hatch like I had on my Raptors, but still helpful.

Sponsored

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Im reviewing my options before I buy a skid plate.

The Trailhunter skid is easy enough to remove but other skids allow for oil changes without removal.

Its not the only consideration but sounds useful to me.
As one other mentioned just take the skid plate off, it’ll make for a neater tidier oil change rather than trying to change oil through a small hole and then mop up residue from removing a filter. Trust me I’ve done an oil change in my OR, taking off the skid plate allows for a really clean no dribble oil change. You’ll be saving zero time when you factor cleaning up residual oil with a skid plate In place, likely to take longer.

Last edited:

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I do all of my oil changes and I have been taking the skid plate off of my Tundra for years now and it is no big deal. You would need access to the drain plug and to the oil filter, so just removing the skid plate seems easier to me. Removing the plate also lets you take a look at the bottom of your engine to see if anything needs attention.

I would be interested in seeing some of the ones that allow maintenance access however. If anyone finds some, please post some links, although my Pro will most likely be keeping the factory skid plate.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
For those of us with long snowy winters...what benefit of having this plate installed be besides some road grime sand deflection? Would it be more of a magnet for grime & interface with the frame?

I don't offroad in the winter, debating just leaving it off after fall trip to Canyonlands & an oil change / re-install for a Spring trip back to the desert. Shave a bit of weight in the process

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
I do all of my oil changes and I have been taking the skid plate off of my Tundra for years now and it is no big deal. You would need access to the drain plug and to the oil filter, so just removing the skid plate seems easier to me. Removing the plate also lets you take a look at the bottom of your engine to see if anything needs attention.

I would be interested in seeing some of the ones that allow maintenance access however. If anyone finds some, please post some links, although my Pro will most likely be keeping the factory skid plate.
Victory 4x4 has one.
https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/victory-4x4-front-skid-plate-installed.5099/
Port looks kind of small though. I asked if anyone's done an oil change using it but haven't seen any response.

Victory 4x4

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 TRD Sport