Sponsored

Trailhunter Skid Plate fit other models? Aftermarket air dam?

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
Now I have removed the front air dam it looks weird, doe anyone know if there is after market front air dam that is about half the size.
Next does the trail hunter skid plate fit on LIMITED or other models. The TRD stamped red letter seems pretty beefy but small compared to trail hunter. Which one is a better buy? but most of all does the trail hunter one fit on other tacoma models.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...FsRnivCRRYsPJC01nm22AaDiPeXHBY1_sy-l2Oy0GCMOk
Sponsored

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
I'd be happy with an aftermarket plastic plate, similar to what most cars have under there. The current felt/plastic plate has little air scoops that are going to collect snow and ice this winter.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
I'd be happy with an aftermarket plastic plate, similar to what most cars have under there. The current felt/plastic plate has little air scoops that are going to collect snow and ice this winter.
I’d also love a good quality plastic cost effective skid plate. For my driving I don’t need a $500 aluminum skid plate, but would like a better one than the OE skid plate.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I’ve researched this exact same request: putting a skid plate on a Limited after air dam removal.

Most of the stock skid plates will NOT fit. The reason is the off-road models have an additional cross member under the radiators which most of these skid plates attach to, and the Limited does not have this cross member. Several companies are working an aftermarket cross member, but I haven’t seen any for sale yet.

Another option is to install a hidden winch kit which also contains the skid plates. The best example of this is from Rough Country. Their hidden winch kit has both an engine and differential skid plate, and this kit actually requires removal of the off-road cross member, so it’s an easier install on the limited. Since you don’t have to buy a replacement cross member, this kit is about the same cost as installing just the skid plates, and you get a winch with the package. :) Pic of kit attached FYI. It’s an option.

Good luck.

2024 Tacoma Trailhunter Skid Plate fit other models? Aftermarket air dam? IMG_0445

mrgooden

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I’ve researched this exact same request: putting a skid plate on a Limited after air dam removal.

Most of the stock skid plates will NOT fit. The reason is the off-road models have an additional cross member under the radiators which most of these skid plates attach to, and the Limited does not have this cross member. Several companies are working an aftermarket cross member, but I haven’t seen any for sale yet.

Another option is to install a hidden winch kit which also contains the skid plates. The best example of this is from Rough Country. Their hidden winch kit has both an engine and differential skid plate, and this kit actually requires removal of the off-road cross member, so it’s an easier install on the limited. Since you don’t have to buy a replacement cross member, this kit is about the same cost as installing just the skid plates, and you get a winch with the package. :) Pic of kit attached FYI. It’s an option.

Good luck.

IMG_0445.jpeg
You can buy the cross member to bolt the stock skid plates to. I believe it is Nytop that sells it.

https://nytop.com/toyota-tacoma-acc...urrent-toyota-tacoma-front-frame-cross-member

Richard

Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
You don't need to have the crossmember to mount the OE skid plates. However, only 4 bolts will hold it rather than 6. There are some aftermarket options that mount at the recovery points, particularly the Victory one is probably the most popular.

I'm currently running the aluminum skid (TRD) on a Limited, but I will purchase a crossmember when it becomes available. I will say that even with 4 bolts it's definitely on there. It's not moving. But I think I'm getting a bit of a whistle with the lack of the crossmember as rushing air can swoop in above the skid - just a theory.

NYTOP does have one but they're waiting on the slow boat (made in China) to get here prior to actually shipping them out, so they're preorders only.

I think there will be some US made ones coming as well, RCI had stated that they're also releasing a crossmember in the coming weeks.

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited

Good luck.

IMG_0445.jpeg
I thought the OR crossmember was welded in? How would they expect someone to remove it?

Sponsored

Fenris

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma

Darrin Carter

First Name
Buckshot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tundra
In the end I fabricated my own from UHMW and a piece of steel flat bar my truck will never see extreme off road
I more wanted it to prevent any damage should a rock come off another vehicle or from a gravel road

used all the original bolts and holes I did not drill into the truck body or frame anywhere

I have the Sport Premium
Sponsored