Turn off cruise control

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Hey brothas. While doing the adaptive cruise control it’s a very short window where you can’t have your hands on the steering wheel.

Seeing how yall mitigate that?

I’ve read some dudes tie a weight to the
steering wheel to keep alarm off. Im not looking to just never touch the steering wheel ever and get into some safety stuff. However, Tacomas no hands seems incredibly short and just wanting more time. Maybe there’s a way to turn it off completely.
Sponsored

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Hey brothas. While doing the adaptive cruise control it’s a very short window where you can’t have your hands on the steering wheel.
That's not the Adaptive Cruise Control. It's Lane Assist. And isn't it somewhere around 15 seconds?

Me? I'd prefer people keep their hands on the wheel... :cool:

OP
OP

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
That's not the Adaptive Cruise Control. It's Lane Assist. And isn't it somewhere around 15 seconds?

Me? I'd prefer people keep their hands on the wheel... :cool:
Yes you’re correct it is lane assist. I would say 10-20 seconds is a correct estimate. I’m not looking for seconds but minutes or Indef.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
You can turn it off completely with the Lane Keep Assist button to the right of the Cruise enable button on the right spoke of the steering wheel.

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR

Seeing how yall mitigate that?

I’ve read some dudes tie a weight to the
steering wheel to keep alarm off. Im not looking to just never touch the steering wheel ever and get into some safety stuff. However, Tacomas no hands seems incredibly short and just wanting more time. Maybe there’s a way to turn it off completely.
Working as intended, keep a hand on the wheel.

Sponsored

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
I get really annoyed with it. My hands are always on the wheel and it will still beep at me and make me apply more pressure to the wheel.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
I drove my Trailhunter 600mi from Vegas to Colorado when I took delivery. Many stretches of highway lane assist ran for 2-6 minutes some straightaways and longer curves w/good visibility it ran ~10min uninterrupted.

Couple takeaways:

-cresting over hills / sun glare / poorly painted lines / semi trucks blocking viz / hash-marked exit ramps / etc - all these things affect it. Sometimes it gets it right under adversity from items listed above, but much of the time it’s prudent and requires you to takeover.

- in the city just running adaptive cruise without lane assist - I’ve found to be a better driving experience. If I didn’t care about fuel economy to hell with adaptive cruise / run sport mode and send it. But I currently do because I bought a “hybrid” and am hellbent on seeing what the upper end of my range tops out at. As a result I believe the benefits of eco mode are expressed through the adaptive cruise feature esp in the city. The gas pedal on these trucks really want to open that turbo up.

EDIT: also curious about that ‘tug’ toward exit ramps: if I ran Toyota’s navigational system with a set route, would the lane trace improve? I only use Apple Maps currently. But I’d like to know if Toyota’s GPS meshes better w/its lane assist tech…

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
My perspective is from losing a family member in an accident because others messed up and were behaving badly. Keep your hands on the wheel.

Even with a fantastic record and experience driving heavy haul I don't want any risk of messing up so the safety suite in the 4th gen was a significant part of why I made the purchase. The defaults seem plenty find if I have a moment of what I'll call distraction or change for doing something.

Now with few months and few thousand miles I'm very happy with the Toyota latest. This includes experience with its competitors and other systems.

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Toyota’s legal team isn’t going to allow a “driver” to sit without his hands on the wheel.

Sponsored

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
I get really annoyed with it. My hands are always on the wheel and it will still beep at me and make me apply more pressure to the wheel.
It's left/right tension that keeps the alarm off and not pressure on the wheel.

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
I find just having my hand holding onto and my arm hanging is enough to keep the bells off as long as I'm holding the side and not center.
Sponsored