Sponsored

WCS (Wireless Camera System) for 4G Tacoma

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Has anyone here messed around with the Wireless Camera System for the new Tacoma? Specifically models equipped with the digital rearview mirror.

There were some posts on the Tundra forum about this, but I haven't seen anyone mention it on the Taco side yet. Toyota part search shows the accessory as an exact fit : PT233-0C237-AA

Some YT videos on it ....

It seems like from the first video, there needs to be two additional factory-installed antennas for it to work? However, digging through the options on the configurator, I don't see an option for the WCS system on any trim.

Oddly enough, on Toyota's landing page for the new Taco, it clearly shows 3 antennas on the roof. My 24 Limited only has one. So can these be installed after the fact? Just seems like there's not a ton of information out there, and wondering if anyone has looked into this yet. I plan on towing a 19' camper and it would be sweet to utilize the digital rearview to see behind the camper.
Sponsored

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Sheldon said it can be added later. Still curious why it’s not available on the build site. Interested in this too, let’s figure it out!

OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I’m coming up with this part number for the camera- From the manual

PT233-0C230-AA

https://assets.sia.toyota.com/publi...*MTcxNDE3OTA0My4xOC4xLjE3MTQxNzkwNzIuMzEuMC4w
You're right, that is the correct one for the full kit. However, I believe it doesn't come with the actual receiver antennas according to the manual... The part I listed above is just some assembly for the power cable options according to the manual - but it's odd as it shows as the full kit on the parts site. I knew the price seemed off, lol.

https://autoparts.toyota.com/products/product/toyota-wireless-camera-system-pt2330c237aa

OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Been going down the rabbit hole quite a bit with this as I'm certain this camera system can be added on, even if not installed from the factory. I've started to see some Trailhunters equipped with this option from the factory ($1500 option) and it seems to now be available on the configurator as well. I've spoken to multiple dealers in my region and no one really has any clue, even though there are technical documents on TIS that show installation of the Trailer ECU and Antennas. However - these are technical repair documents, not the simplified accessory installation documents. They aren't fully clear on the proper part numbers on TIS either.

With that being said, I don't think this will ever be released as a DIO - it has to come from the factory - HOWEVER, I do think if you're determined, it should be possible to get all of the components, obviously as long as the parts are available, and install the system. It will require drilling holes into your roof though, for the additional 2x sharkfin antennas.

Basically, from my understanding reading the info on TIS, there are two primary component groups....

1. The camera itself and corresponding brackets, screw-on antennas (that attach to the camera), etc - currently available as part # PT233-0C230-AA, as listed above.

2. The "Trailer Camera ECU" and corresponding antennas & harnesses - which after a lot of digging and confusing part names, I've started to create a list that I hope to fill in completely.

2a. Left Hand Sharkfin Antenna - PT887-0C137-LH
2b. Right Hand Sharkfin Antenna - PT887-0C121-RH
2c. Trailer Camera ECU - 867EX-XXXXX (can't really read it off the picture).
2d. Harness for ECU/Antennas - ?

For more information on the ECU and antennas, I dug up the information from the FCC filings. This is public info and don't see why it can't be linked here :

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=Y&application_id=9Hodh7dPSZdsqeV9i7owNw==&fcc_id=ACJ932A-TA220

The ECU is manufactured by Panasonic and there is even a user manual publicly available on the FCC site that discloses its operation in the above link.

From another post on the Tundra forum, someone described the ability to "Enable" the WCS/TCS via ECU flashing - however, when the tech did this, the vehicle threw a code. This was most likely due to the fact that the vehicle did not have the Trailer Camera System ECU (located in the rear underneath the rear seats).

With this all being said, there are still a few things left to figure out :

1. Whether our trucks (equipped with the digital rear view mirror) already have the harness required for the WCS/TCS and corresponding sharkfin antennas.

2. The actual part number for the Trailer Camera ECU. (Maybe someone can "enhance" those photos to figure it out, lol).

3. Whether the parts can even be ordered. The LH/RH antennas do seem to be available, but without knowing the part number for the ECU, will be difficult to figure out if it's truly available.

Overall, this is an uphill battle, and can probably be better solved by just buying some aftermarket system for less money. But I'm determined to figure out if the OE system can be added after the fact. Would be great if Toyota could just shed some light on this, but as always, they just deflect to the dealers, who in response have no clue or have even heard of the system.

So if anyone has any more info to fill in the blanks, feel free to chip into this thread. I plan to disassemble the rear seats and see if there's a harness back there - hopefully there is, but who knows at this point.

Sponsored

Bob A

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter July 25 Purchase
I took delivery of a Trailhunter last week with this an option. I am also located in Chicago, so if you would like me to do some digging on my truck let me know.

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
I took a look at the images located here:
https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=6392229

and zooming in to different degrees gave different clarity. Don't know if someone has some fancy tools to help clarify the pixelated images once they are zoomed.

I feel like I am seeing the following partial numbers or thinking I'm seeing:
M1A4T01?04 or MTA4T01?04

867ED-YY946
867EG-YY?40
867B0-

867B0 as a starter appears to turn up a lot of toyota camera parts

OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Updates!

Managed to get GTS+ working on my laptop and when I working on try to configure the grill camera on my new Heritage grill, there is an option to enable to Auxilary Camera - better known as the WCS camera to us.

When doing so, we gain a new option - the one anyone interested in this thread seeks, the "Aux Camera".

2024 Tacoma WCS (Wireless Camera System) for 4G Tacoma PXL_20240810_203355100~2

However, after enabling the option, we see that the truck throws a DTC - C16A487 to be exact, description of "Wi-Fi Receiver Image Signal Missing Message".

2024 Tacoma WCS (Wireless Camera System) for 4G Tacoma PXL_20240810_201835549

But I think this is good - this means, the car must have a "Wi-Fi Receiver" ... probably what I called in my previous post the "Trailer Camera ECU" per Toyota's documents.

So, what does this mean :

a. I'm fairly certain trucks equipped with the Digital Rear View mirror have this "Wi-Fi Receiver" or "Trailer Camera ECU". It's all one unit. This is even further confirmed as the wiring diagram for the ECU shows an input for a "Rear Digital Camera Assembly #2" - my guess is this is the camera for the digital rearview. It's basically a single box for everything digital rearview mirror related.

b. In theory, we should be able to install the (2) aforementioned antennas in my previous post and connect them to this ECU/control box/Wi-Fi receiver. Per removal/installation docs, it shows this being located behind the rear seats.

c. Once the antennas are installed, you need to enable the Auxilary Camera in the "Circumference Monitoring Camera Control Module" within GTS+.

d. At that point, you'd go through the pairing process with the actual camera kit itself. We have the part # above.

I think at this point I may just order the two antennas and give this a go. They're only like $50 a piece. But my only concern is whether they come with the harness/connector as well. So I think I need to just rip out my rear seats and do a bit more research. But I feel like we are getting close to a solution.