Sponsored

2024 Hybrid 2400w Inverter Application(s)

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter Bronze Oxide; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
One of the things that I am excited about and also have a number of questions about with the 2024 Hybrid option is whether or not you can use the power in the bed of the truck with the engine/ACC off. In the second gen (assuming other generations as well) it needs to be on to utilize the 400w inverter. There is also no standard second battery. So in order to use my fridge and any accessories I must run a dual battery.

I am getting the Trailhunter and with all the power options in the back (compressor, USB C, 12v, and 2400w 120v) I am wondering if anyone has confirmed if these will function without the truck either started or in the ACC position. Does anyone know for sure how this will work? I haven’t seen anything that really confirms but they market it as if it could be used for a fridge etc, but that’s not the case unless you can power it at all times. It seems like with the inclusion of a secondary battery and size of it there would be a way to use that independently. Hoping to avoid a dual battery setup if at all possible since my primary accessory that’s powered continuously is the fridge.
Sponsored

outcast

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
I been thinking the same thing but I’m already set on getting a dual battery setup.
I’m gonna add an Alu-cab to mine with solar and extra battery.
That inverter just gonna be bonus for me

The thing I been thinking about, is just how much better is the TH then an OR with TRD package?
OR might end up being like 10-12k less and possibly easier to get hands on
Are all the extras really worth it?

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I expect you'll be able to use the inverter with engine off, but keep in mind it's not a huge battery. If you're drawing 20A, it will drain the battery in 45 mins max (probably less because there is probably battery protection to prevent complete discharge) at which point the engine would have to fire up.

VI510N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
because of the size of the battery I was thinking of using that 2400w outlet as an ac-dc charger via a Victron charger to a large lithium. Can charge when driving around or can idle for a bit if no power supplies when it’s turned off or while driving. Sunny days could supplement with some solar. Off of the secondary 12v lithium could have the fridge plugged in and any other 12v accessories needed for power. Obviously if you have a high wattage draw just plug in while you need, then any other accessories can still remain powered via secondary battery. My plan Atleast.

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Same question. On the F150 hybrid you absolutely can use the bed outlet out of the hybrid battery, which is nice.
On the new Tundra hybrid, you can’t.
So the chance is small but it’s possible. I hope Toyota didn’t screw this up since the TH is targeted to overlanders.

I too would love to use the 1.5Kwh hybrid battery to power my 1Kwh lithium portable battery if I am out of juice and it’s a cloudy day.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I been thinking the same thing but I’m already set on getting a dual battery setup.
I’m gonna add an Alu-cab to mine with solar and extra battery.
That inverter just gonna be bonus for me

The thing I been thinking about, is just how much better is the TH then an OR with TRD package?
OR might end up being like 10-12k less and possibly easier to get hands on
Are all the extras really worth it?
My plan for the TH is a Super Pacific camper. I've looked at those, the AluCab, Go Fast, and what I have now which is RSI + RTT. Regarding power given what I'm hearing/seeing here it sounds like I'll be going dual battery of some sort as well. I currently use an ArkPak that's mounted in my bed powering the fridge, bed lights, and Propex heater. I then have the ArkPak plugged into the 400w inverter and keep it topped off while driving. I have a portable solar panel now that I will likely use initially in the TH to keep power if stoped for multiple days, but eventually I'll mount a flex panel to the top of the SP so there will never be a concern. I have liked the ArkPak but I'll probably try and do a more conventional dual battery setup on the TH or use a Bluetti or Jackery and the 2400w inverter to keep it topped off while driving. TBD on exact power setup.

As far as the difference between OR and TH the off the shelf options are what I'm interested in. They seem to be well thought out and functional, with the exception of the horrible "headache rack". I absolution hate that. Non-funcational and ugly. My opinion, but that is my only major complaint.
If you get a top tier OR I am guessing there will not be a huge price difference between that and the TH. We'll see what it ends up being, but for $10k it may still be worth it, but that does seem awfully steep. What I like about the TH is the OME suspension, skids, more off-road ready bumpers as far as clearance and departure angle, sliders, compressor, light bar and fogs, etc. I have a hell of a lot in many of those things aftermarket on my 2nd gen so it's appealing to have a lot of that already included. My price prediction for the TH is $52k - $55k. That is still higher than the current Pro (base Pro $48k) If it gets much higher than that it's surpassed the "competition". Purely my thought, but Toyota is smart and if it gets much higher then the gap between that and the Tundra won't make sense.

outcast

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My plan for the TH is a Super Pacific camper. I've looked at those, the AluCab, Go Fast, and what I have now which is RSI + RTT. Regarding power given what I'm hearing/seeing here it sounds like I'll be going dual battery of some sort as well. I currently use an ArkPak that's mounted in my bed powering the fridge, bed lights, and Propex heater. I then have the ArkPak plugged into the 400w inverter and keep it topped off while driving. I have a portable solar panel now that I will likely use initially in the TH to keep power if stoped for multiple days, but eventually I'll mount a flex panel to the top of the SP so there will never be a concern. I have liked the ArkPak but I'll probably try and do a more conventional dual battery setup on the TH or use a Bluetti or Jackery and the 2400w inverter to keep it topped off while driving. TBD on exact power setup.

As far as the difference between OR and TH the off the shelf options are what I'm interested in. They seem to be well thought out and functional, with the exception of the horrible "headache rack". I absolution hate that. Non-funcational and ugly. My opinion, but that is my only major complaint.
If you get a top tier OR I am guessing there will not be a huge price difference between that and the TH. We'll see what it ends up being, but for $10k it may still be worth it, but that does seem awfully steep. What I like about the TH is the OME suspension, skids, more off-road ready bumpers as far as clearance and departure angle, sliders, compressor, light bar and fogs, etc. I have a hell of a lot in many of those things aftermarket on my 2nd gen so it's appealing to have a lot of that already included. My price prediction for the TH is $52k - $55k. That is still higher than the current Pro (base Pro $48k) If it gets much higher than that it's surpassed the "competition". Purely my thought, but Toyota is smart and if it gets much higher then the gap between that and the Tundra won't make sense.
I don’t (hope) the rack will be standard. Looks so annoying and will just end up in a scrap yard if standard.

I was also thinking of doing the Jackery and using the inverter to keep it topped off

I like the super pacific and GFC but they don’t fit in with what I want to do.
I don’t really care for the bumpers, as I’m gonna replace it with a dual swing arm for better storage of spare tire and Jerry cans

The compressor is really the only thing i don’t know how alu-cab will incorporate that into the system as it’s in the bed wall

The suspension and skid plates was really the only pull for me as those would be the things I would change on it immediately

But if what I keep reading and hearing that it will be a 2+yr wait, top trimmed out OR might be the way to go.

Honestly all just a waiting game for now.
I wouldn’t be getting mine next next winter anyways during toyotathon 2024 when models might be more available and affordable

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t (hope) the rack will be standard. Looks so annoying and will just end up in a scrap yard if standard.

I was also thinking of doing the Jackery and using the inverter to keep it topped off

I like the super pacific and GFC but they don’t fit in with what I want to do.
I don’t really care for the bumpers, as I’m gonna replace it with a dual swing arm for better storage of spare tire and Jerry cans

The compressor is really the only thing i don’t know how alu-cab will incorporate that into the system as it’s in the bed wall

The suspension and skid plates was really the only pull for me as those would be the things I would change on it immediately

But if what I keep reading and hearing that it will be a 2+yr wait, top trimmed out OR might be the way to go.

Honestly all just a waiting game for now.
I wouldn’t be getting mine next next winter anyways during toyotathon 2024 when models might be more available and affordable
Just curious, why the AluCab? And which AluCab? I’ve literally looked at everything haha so just wondering your perspective. For me they are heavier and taller than the SP or GF. I have an oversized garage (8ft) so I can fit in now and I’m sure I will be able to with the SP based on dimensions. That’s a huge factor for me. I don’t think I could with an AluCab. Unless it was just the RTT on a topper.

I went to expo mtn west so go to see most in person which was really nice. If you have a chance and haven’t been highly recommend one of the expos. It’s like being a kid at a candy store.

outcast

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious, why the AluCab? And which AluCab? I’ve literally looked at everything haha so just wondering your perspective. For me they are heavier and taller than the SP or GF. I have an oversized garage (8ft) so I can fit in now and I’m sure I will be able to with the SP based on dimensions. That’s a huge factor for me. I don’t think I could with an AluCab. Unless it was just the RTT on a topper.

I went to expo mtn west so go to see most in person which was really nice. If you have a chance and haven’t been highly recommend one of the expos. It’s like being a kid at a candy store.
Alu-cab cause it offers an actual living space underneath the bed and it more encompassing.

Looking at the Alu-Cab Canopy Camper for 6ft bed
Add the propane fireplace, 50L water tank with 1.5hp pump, the shadow 270 awning, shower cube
Full solar option
Make custom inserts for storage inside
Goose gear full rear seat delete

I plan on bumming it and overlanding and living out of it for a couple years.

The other ones would be great for small trips out but I want a place where if need be, I can stand up to change, have a seat inside when weather bad

Been to a few expo, and like a fat kid in a candy store, I want to go home with it all

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alu-cab cause it offers an actual living space underneath the bed and it more encompassing.

Add the propane fireplace, 50L water tank with 1.5hp pump, the shadow 270 awning, shower cube
Full solar option

The other ones would be great for small trips out but I want a place where if need be, I can stand up to change, have a seat inside when weather bad

Been to a few expo, and like a fat kid in a candy store, I want to go home with it all
You will have the perfect setup if you plan to live out of it for a while. Jealous. We do a ton of trips, a lot of weekends but also just did a two weeks out west that was awesome. Makes me want to find a way to do it full time for a period. Have to rent the house out and get my wife a remote gig. Both are on the radar haha.

Sponsored

outcast

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will have the perfect setup if you plan to live out of it for a while. Jealous. We do a ton of trips, a lot of weekends but also just did a two weeks out west that was awesome. Makes me want to find a way to do it full time for a period. Have to rent the house out and get my wife a remote gig. Both are on the radar haha.
With me being a vet and gettin monthly disability and having a minimalist lifestyle, it’s perfect for me

Right now I just car camp or primitive camping when I go out. And it’s gettin rough on the body

Thinkin of maybe trying to find a remote part time gig for like data entry or medical coding or something

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Anyone looking at getting a GFC or super pacific you should get a Lone Peak instead. Half the price of super pacific and much better than both and I have tried all 3.

The Lone Peak tent gives you a ton more interior space. The bed can adjust and slide so you don’t touch the hinge even if you are tall. There is always a large space between the bed and back of truck so you can always stand up and if you need the full space you just push the bed up because it has gas struts. That’s so so much better than the GFC. Also has tons of cool features from the factory you can get like gear vault, solar and power, diesel port heater, dust killer which create positive pressure inside so dust don’t go in and so much more.

Check all the features on their website: Lone Peak Overland

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone looking at getting a GFC or super pacific you should get a Lone Peak instead. Half the price of super pacific and much better than both and I have tried all 3.

The Lone Peak tent gives you a ton more interior space. The bed can adjust and slide so you don’t touch the hinge even if you are tall. There is always a large space between the bed and back of truck so you can always stand up and if you need the full space you just push the bed up because it has gas struts. That’s so so much better than the GFC. Also has tons of cool features from the factory you can get like gear vault, solar and power, diesel port heater, dust killer which create positive pressure inside so dust don’t go in and so much more.

Check all the features on their website: Lone Peak Overland
Thanks for the suggestion! I am not familiar with those. At a quick glance they look really nice. I’m not married to the Super Pacific, but I have ruled out the GFC. They just don’t seem to be as high quality as the SP. Have you heard anything from them on 4th Gen Tacoma support yet? I am anticipating more details once the actual release happens. I think GFC is the only one I’ve seen with official support so far, but I’ve talked to SP and they definitely will support they just didn’t have all the measurements yet.

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Thanks for the suggestion! I am not familiar with those. At a quick glance they look really nice. I’m not married to the Super Pacific, but I have ruled out the GFC. They just don’t seem to be as high quality as the SP. Have you heard anything from them on 4th Gen Tacoma support yet? I am anticipating more details once the actual release happens. I think GFC is the only one I’ve seen with official support so far, but I’ve talked to SP and they definitely will support they just didn’t have all the measurements yet.
Yes I talked to them they will definitely support the 4th Gen.
The GFC is just too much of a pain to use with the bed system. It gets old quickly.

The SP is pretty nice but what Lone Peak did was copy the good idea from every model and put them all together in one camper, and then bring some new ideas as well. I just hope they can hold a price that low for long. SP also started cheap and then progressively went way up in price.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser

Full solar option

Do some research with the fireplace. They aren't temp controlled like some other options out there, and I hear they aren't very effective in the real low temps like a diesel heater or even a Truma propane heater is.
Sponsored