Sponsored

2024 Hybrid 2400w Inverter Application(s)

outcast

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Do some research with the fireplace. They aren't temp controlled like some other options out there, and I hear they aren't very effective in the real low temps like a diesel heater or even a Truma propane heater is.
Look into Truma and the Varioheater they have seems pretty nice
It can be rather nice to have a temp control on it

Need to find a dealer that has one so can see it in person and how it set up

Says it meant for vans and travel trailers, so an alucab shouldnā€™t be a problem with it
Sponsored

Kevin Chaos

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2nd generation TRD Off-Road Tacoma
I been thinking the same thing but Iā€™m already set on getting a dual battery setup.
Iā€™m gonna add an Alu-cab to mine with solar and extra battery.
That inverter just gonna be bonus for me

The thing I been thinking about, is just how much better is the TH then an OR with TRD package?
OR might end up being like 10-12k less and possibly easier to get hands on
Are all the extras really worth it?
Iā€™d say no; not for 10k+. To each their own, but Iā€™m good without a bulbous plastic snorkel.

NoRoCo

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 SR5 Double Cab, Long Bed
I have been looking at GFC, Super Pacific and Lone peak as well . . . .and within the last couple weeks a new entry into the market has caught my eye . . .Dirtbox Overland (out of Denver area) https://dirtboxoverland.com/pages/canopy-camper

a youtube review from an overland company:

Their product quality seems similar / on par with Super Pacific but they are also provide a bunch of add on's / accessories as well.

I am a little overwhelmed with how many companies are popping up in this space within the past year or so . . . (I think there are 3 or 4 in denver area) . . . but Dirtbox quickly went to the top of my "want" list for my new Tacoma!

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter Bronze Oxide; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Reviving this thread. See attached video time stamp 17:45 (stole from newer thread).

I think most of us figured this would be the case, but it sounds like it's all but confirmed that we'll still need a dual battery to really run a fridge or anything that requires constant power draw.

Last edited:

Sponsored

accrete

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Custom van conversion
Anyone looking at getting a GFC or super pacific you should get a Lone Peak instead...

Check all the features on their website: Lone Peak Overland
I viewed several pages/videos and the LP looks nice, (though i'm partial to the idea of Alu-Cab's rear door/wall). Do you know if the windows on the tent have an option for clear vinyl layer also?

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
Now that we know more about the trucks can anyone add to this conversation? I know nothing about inverters etc. How is this thing going to work? How capable will it be for boondocking etc.? Keep it simple šŸ˜‚

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
Not sure why no one has done this yet, but the Hybrid owner's manual has been out for some time now. It is a little confusing, but this appears to be the requirements for the power outlets to be active:
  • The Hybrid System is running
  • The parking brake is set
  • The "AC 120V" button to the left of the steering wheel is activated
I don't know enough to fully understand what "Hybrid System is running" means, but it appears you are starting the vehicle, but the engine remains off. Also, it appears from my cursory read that the engine will start on its own if the battery drains far enough to necessitate it. Relevant pages are 454-457.

Uploading the pages is not working for me right now, but here is the link to the hybrid manual.

Now there are lots of warnings saying you should not, but I don't really see any harm in leaving it like this for extended periods. It is not like anyone will be able to drive off with your vehicle without the key. Also, I would expect any system would need to be able to start the engine if the battery was run down, so this isn't really any different from any other truck's setup as far as I can tell.

Note: Edited this post as I better understood the information.

Last edited:

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
Not sure why no one has done this yet, but the Hybrid owner's manual has been out for some time now. It is a little confusing, but this appears to be the requirements for the power outlets to be active:
  • The Hybrid System is running
  • The parking brake is set
  • The "AC 120V" button to the left of the steering wheel is activated
I don't know enough to fully understand what "Hybrid System is running" means, but it appears you are starting the vehicle, but the engine remains off. Also, it appears from my cursory read that the engine will start on its own if the battery drains far enough to necessitate it. Relevant pages are 454-457.

Uploading the pages is not working for me right now, but here is the link to the hybrid manual.

Now there are lots of warnings saying you should not, but I don't really see any harm in leaving it like this for extended periods. It is not like anyone will be able to drive off with your vehicle without the key. Also, I would expect any system would need to be able to start the engine if the battery was run down.

Note: Edited this post as I better understood the information.
Thank you! That's great info! I'm wondering how long it might power things before it needs to start the engine? I know it depends on the device you are plugging in....but let's say one of those plug in coolers that refrigerate? I'll check out that manual!

Sponsored

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
A dual AGM doesnt really make much sense in todays world, I would avoid that totally. Just mount a lithium somewhere with a DC-DC charger. I have a 50ah in my FJ and charging cameras,drones, gimble, lights, fridge, it does great. You can fit a 50ah more places because they are small.

Or just get a power station like many people prefer to do these days (I dont). Assuming this is a pure sine inverter, you can charge these kinds of batteries in less than 2 hours on AC charging. So charge it up once a day and your good to go.

As far as the OEM 12v battery, I think the best move on these due to space limitations will be to have a larger battery installed. Time will tell how big of one we can fit in there.

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
Great info! Iā€™m going to check some of these things out. We have always been old school until now, cooler with ice and an old pump style Coleman stove šŸ˜‚. Still works I guess. Your point about the fridge and heat is a good one. Our plan right now, if we get the truck in July as they are saying, is to head to Utah, Arizona etc end of August probably until end of October or so. Heat will be an issue. Thanks again!

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
One thing we will need to check for in an application like yours is that the TH exhaust dumping under the vehicle doesn't find its way into the bed/camper at night when the generator turns on.

Other than that, you're describing pretty much my plans, chosen for similar reasons. Although I don't expect to be using a lot of energy on a daily basis (i.e. minimal impact on hybrid battery life), so I might be able to eliminate the additional power station, which would also leave more space in my 5' bed, necessitated by wanting to put the truck in a 19' garage. What helps make my solution practical is that the Sierra is on average significantly warmer at night than say the Colorado/Wyoming mountains, so a decent sleeping bag may be all I would need at night. I'd also skip the solar if not using a power station, but if I end up having multi-day stays in the same location then that might make solar plus a power station desirable. I don't think I'd try my more minimalist solution if I were heading to Jackson Hole for skiing though!

Given the small fuel tank in all the mid-size trucks it seems likely that I would also need to carry extra gas just to have the option for greater range between fuel stops. So IMV its more flexible carrying extra gas that also supports electric power generation while camped up, rather than (or additionally) carrying propane/diesel heating/cooking options.
Sponsored