Shifting Into Reverse = Hard Shifts?

dvolman93

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
Anyone else noticing when shifting into reverse that it shifts into reverse pretty hard and you can feel it like pop into reverse gear?

This doesn’t happen shifting into drive. And it does shift smoothly while driving.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
I had that in my 2009 f150. I'm not experiencing that in my 2024 Tacoma.

OP
OP
dvolman93

dvolman93

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
I had that in my 2009 f150. I'm not experiencing that in my 2024 Tacoma.
I don’t remember if my 21 Tacoma did that. I’m dropping it off Tuesday at the dealer for them to check out.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I'd definitely get that checked out, my old Mazda Tribute used to do that, and then it started doing it in drive, and eventually it got worse and worse.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I know my 2019 Ranger had some issues with hard shifts at first. They told me the transmission needed to learn. Sure enough, it went away after a bit. Good idea to have it checked though. They'll probably just flash it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dvolman93

dvolman93

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
I know my 2019 Ranger had some issues with hard shifts at first. They told me the transmission needed to learn. Sure enough, it went away after a bit. Good idea to have it checked though. They'll probably just flash it.
I’m trying to think if it’s been doing since I got it and barely noticing or if it just started doing it.

Duane

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 tacoma trd sport
I know I have had issues with the shift linkage on my 2020 TRD sport. Have to crawl in underneath on Occasion to lubricate.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24’ Tacoma TRD Off Road
I’m trying to think if it’s been doing since I got it and barely noticing or if it just started doing it.
@dvolman93
Did you end up taking it to the dealer? If so what was the verdict? I’m experiencing the same hard shifting into reverse. I now have 380 miles and I don’t remember this happening before. Not sure if the shifts were progressively getting harder thus why I’m just now feeling it.

OP
OP
dvolman93

dvolman93

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
@dvolman93
Did you end up taking it to the dealer? If so what was the verdict? I’m experiencing the same hard shifting into reverse. I now have 380 miles and I don’t remember this happening before. Not sure if the shifts were progressively getting harder thus why I’m just now feeling it.
Truck hasn’t done it since I posted this. It was just the one day.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24’ Tacoma TRD Off Road
Aww ok, I’m glad yours went away. Unfortunately this is not the case for me. I called the dealer and they pretty much said if I don’t have CEL on, then it’s all within the trucks parameters. I was scheduled to install a leveling kit & tires/rims but I hate for this to become a bigger issue to the point where I do have a CEL come on and the dealer blaming the tires/rims modification.. therefore voiding the warranty coverage.

Sponsored

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
Aww ok, I’m glad yours went away. Unfortunately this is not the case for me. I called the dealer and they pretty much said if I don’t have CEL on, then it’s all within the trucks parameters. I was scheduled to install a leveling kit & tires/rims but I hate for this to become a bigger issue to the point where I do have a CEL come on and the dealer blaming the tires/rims modification.. therefore voiding the warranty coverage.
mine definitely does this although not all the time. How are the rest of your shifts? My transmission definitely feels pretty clunky in the first couple gears. I have heard a clunk when downshifting into 1st gear a few times now and going from 3-4 is always noticeable. Almost like it hangs up for a split second and then shifts.

ZIGGY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
mine definitely does this although not all the time. How are the rest of your shifts? My transmission definitely feels pretty clunky in the first couple gears. I have heard a clunk when downshifting into 1st gear a few times now and going from 3-4 is always noticeable. Almost like it hangs up for a split second and then shifts.
I’ve noticed clunky downshifts into first pretty often. Feels like the transmission isn’t sure if it should downshift or not, like it hesitates and then clunks. It’s not every time though

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24’ Tacoma TRD Off Road
Mine will only does it when shifting into reverse, all other gears feel smooth. Frequency happens 8/10 times, I don’t remember the truck doing this when I first got it. I think I started to feel it at around 300 miles, I’m now at around 400.
Sponsored