Rough transmission shifts

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
2024 4x4 TRD Off-Road Manual owner here. Wanted to give some insight from the manual POV. Interesting thing reading through this post is that, I feel like I had to learn to work through everything your auto transmissions are experiencing.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd is tough, and tougher from a cold start. Once I hit 3rd, truck really feels like I can let on the throttle and catch up to highway speed traffics. Once I'm up to speed, shifting is smooth between 2-6, only after I learned to account for the slight rev-hang. I just slowed down my motions a bit, I shift more relaxed. Downshifts can be hard for me too. I always downshift on my way to full stop, and with this truck just flat out decided not to downshift to 1st. I will downshift as far down as 2nd and break to full stop.

All this to say, I feel like I drove my manual like OPs auto when I got the truck, but was able to learn my way around the tranny after driving it (close to 600 miles now). Hopefully OP tranny is indeed just a matter of breaking in/learning. Hopefully, if anything involves a software update, Toyota has the means to deliver these.
I had same problem with 1st to 2 nd gear not going smooth all the time . After driving it for 2500 and more i have figured that either u get out of 1st right away once truck starts rolling ,or u get first around 2500 -3000 rpm and then shift to 2nd gear . There is no middle .
Sponsored

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
I have a TRD Sport 4x4 with about 2,200 miles now. When I first start in the morning the shift is not that smooth, specially when Iā€™m at a stop/light and press on the gas, the from zero start is pretty hard. I have not heard any clunk or anything like that but you can really feel the shift, but once is up to speed of more than 20-25 mpg the shifts are very smooth. Also when slowing down at times I feel a slight flutter. Another thing Iā€™m noticing is a subtle whining noise when it shift specifically when the windows are up.

Not sure if the transmission needs more breaking in or learning. At this point the stop and go traffic is not making me enjoy it as much.

Are any of you experiencing anything remotely as close as I am? Thanks.
I have a 2024 trd off road. Has 2700 miles on it. Iā€™m pretty sure my trans just went. I think itā€™s stuck in a high gear. I can put it to the floor and no power. Itā€™ll accelerate very very very very slowly and will eventually get up to speed. I limped it home I guess I call and get it towed šŸ˜

OP
OP
ldudiaz

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
I have a 2024 trd off road. Has 2700 miles on it. Iā€™m pretty sure my trans just went. I think itā€™s stuck in a high gear. I can put it to the floor and no power. Itā€™ll accelerate very very very very slowly and will eventually get up to speed. I limped it home I guess I call and get it towed šŸ˜
This is unreal for a car manufacturer that supposedly do extensive tests and tests. I understand one or two transmissions can go bad but this is not cool. If they did extensive test then Iā€™m sure their test transmissions went bad or if they did not go bad then some components at the end were changed that were not ā€œextensive ā€œ tested.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
This is unreal for a car manufacturer that supposedly do extensive tests and tests. I understand one or two transmissions can go bad but this is not cool. If they did extensive test then Iā€™m sure their test transmissions went bad or if they did not go bad then some components at the end were changed that were not ā€œextensive ā€œ tested.
Totally agree. Iā€™ve had it for 2 wks around there. And something thatā€™s over 50k to breakdown in that time is insane. It started kind of shifting hard in between a couple gears once in awhile. Iā€™d be like oh that didnā€™t sound or feel right. Now itā€™s just shot. So weā€™ll see. Probably going to be awhile Iā€™m sure

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Manual or auto?

Sponsored

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Manual or auto?
Sorry brotha. Itā€™s auto
Manual or auto?
It would also ride rough around 35 mph. Itā€™s like it didnā€™t know what to do shift up or down in normal and eco. If I shifted up to sport it would shift down and keep the rpmā€™s a little higher and after that it rode smooth around 35. But it also does this weird thing where when Iā€™m just about to stop. Around 1-2mph just before it would complete stop it like clamps down hard and jolts the whole truck to a stop. Almost like some timing off. Idk weā€™ll see

OP
OP
ldudiaz

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
Sorry brotha. Itā€™s auto

It would also ride rough around 35 mph. Itā€™s like it didnā€™t know what to do shift up or down in normal and eco. If I shifted up to sport it would shift down and keep the rpmā€™s a little higher and after that it rode smooth around 35. But it also does this weird thing where when Iā€™m just about to stop. Around 1-2mph just before it would complete stop it like clamps down hard and jolts the whole truck to a stop. Almost like some timing off. Idk weā€™ll see
Timing is definitely off on this transmission shifting thing. Iā€™ve noticed where the rpm needle goes down and about a second later is when the transmission actually shifts.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Timing is definitely off on this transmission shifting thing. Iā€™ve noticed where the rpm needle goes down and about a second later is when the transmission actually shifts.
For sure. It def sucks. If anyone wants to reach out and talk about it I will. Atleast we can go thru the bs together. Idk if you can direct message in this or not

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
For sure. It def sucks. If anyone wants to reach out and talk about it I will. Atleast we can go thru the bs together. Idk if you can direct message in this or not
any updates? What did the dealer say?

Sponsored

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
any updates? What did the dealer say?
Right boys just wanted to update yall. Toyota techs found metal shavings in trans fluid etc. decided I need new transmission. It took them almost two wks to get me a loaner. Going to pick that up today. There are no trans on ground in US. The timeline they gave me was 2-4 months for trans maybe longer. I updated info at nhtsa so they tracking. Might just lemon law the truck

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Right boys just wanted to update yall. Toyota techs found metal shavings in trans fluid etc. decided I need new transmission. It took them almost two wks to get me a loaner. Going to pick that up today. There are no trans on ground in US. The timeline they gave me was 2-4 months for trans maybe longer. I updated info at nhtsa so they tracking. Might just lemon law the truck
Damnnn, that sucks.
2-4 months waiting for a new tans. Depending on your states lemon laws, I'd definitely be looking to get a replacement for that time-frame.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Damnnn, that sucks.
2-4 months waiting for a new tans. Depending on your states lemon laws, I'd definitely be looking to get a replacement for that time-frame.
I got with legal. If itā€™s inopt for more than 30days it can be lemon lawed.

Code3TRD

First Name
Arman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD OR Premium
I haven't noticed shifts while driving, but mine is jerky when going from reverse or park to drive. You definitely lurch forward or backward when it engages in gear.
I was having this same issue. Realized that itā€™s the parking break disengaging at the same time the car goes into D or R.
what Iā€™ve found is that if you turn off the parking break before shifting, it completely cuts out that little hop

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I was having this same issue. Realized that itā€™s the parking break disengaging at the same time the car goes into D or R.
what Iā€™ve found is that if you turn off the parking break before shifting, it completely cuts out that little hop
I disabled it too, but I still have the lurch when going from P-R in the morning. Seems to not be as bad or completely disappear after driving though
Sponsored