Sponsored

YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen?

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
It is WONDERFUL that the Tacoma has this feature. On my Subaru Ascent (and other vehicles with a turbo engine) they don't have an option to show the boost. Thus, you just have to be gentle with it and guess.

I do however wish there was an option to aggressively disable it. For instance only allow the turbo to run if you put the pedal to the floor. However, I'm not sure how aggressive the Eco mode is as I don't own the vehicle.
I find I get worse fuel economy in eco on the highway. Probably better around town.
Sponsored

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
It is WONDERFUL that the Tacoma has this feature. On my Subaru Ascent (and other vehicles with a turbo engine) they don't have an option to show the boost. Thus, you just have to be gentle with it and guess.

I do however wish there was an option to aggressively disable it. For instance only allow the turbo to run if you put the pedal to the floor. However, I'm not sure how aggressive the Eco mode is as I don't own the vehicle.
I think 'eco' mode tames the turbo a little in around town driving.

Duck Amuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road/17 MINI Cooper Clubman S
It's pretty easy to stay off boost, you have to really jam the throttle to get into boost. At least in my driving. I have another vehicle for "spirited" driving, so when I'm driving the truck I take it slow and easy.

In terms of pros and cons, most have been well covered here, but a few small ones:

Pros
- It rides really, really well for a truck. With the acoustic glass it's quiet, very composed, and very comfortable to drive long distances.
- I'm happy with the JBL sound. It's not as good as the Bang & Olufsan in the wife's car or the Harmon Karmon in mine, but it's close and more than acceptable in a non-luxury vehicle.
- Technology all works great. Sometimes I find non-luxury cars have all the features on paper, but the implementation isn't great. Not so here - everything works great!

Cons

- I'm glad they include some tie downs and rails in the bed - some other trucks that would be an option - but there could be a few more, and the cleats in the side rails do not inspire confidence.
- Maps aren't included without paying an extra subscription on top of Connected Services. Sorry, $20/month (Canadian) just for maps is crazy. And even then they're online, so if you're trying to get directions without coverage, you're SOL. At this price point offline maps should be standard, even with CarPlay/Andoid Auto.
- The gas tank should be larger. <500km to a tank in a truck is silly.
- The seatbelt chime is annoying, and I can't back up with the door open (sometimes I just want to reposition the truck).
- Why don't we get the power tailgate and digital mirror in Canada? The Tundra gets the tailgate, so it's not "because it gets cold".

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
- Why don't we get the power tailgate and digital mirror in Canada? The Tundra gets the tailgate, so it's not "because it gets cold".
Those options are standard/available on the hybrid Limited, Pro, and Trailhunter trims in Canada, but it is curious that it's not even an option on the OR and Sport premium trims. I don't even want the power tailgate, but I would like the digital mirror, because the rear window visibility is not great. Also curious why the non-hybrid TRD OR doesn't have the sway bar disconnect available in Canada.

Sponsored

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I’ve had my sport for a month. I downsized from an F150. Here are my cons.

- small gas tank
- no bumper step to get into the bed
- air dam is rediculous. I took it off
- remote start range from the fob is about 50-75 feet. Not much.

Pros:
- fun to drive with the low end torque
- handles great
- drive train is great
- interior well thought out
- tech is easy to use
- looks cool
- i don’t mind the stereo
- i got the 8” screen. Perfect size for my needs.

But in all honesty. Most of my cons and the cons I have read about on the forum are first world problems. The Tacomas are awesome vehicles. I would recommend to anyone unless they had a young family and needed more space.

All of my friends that have seen my truck are jealous. It’s not why I bought it but that in itself is very telling.

I could not be happier with my decision.
Any second guessing the downsize at all? An F150 was the best car I’ve ever owned & while I regret downsizing one size too small, a full size truck in the city I think might not be ideal. A midsize might be just right.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Any second guessing the downsize at all? An F150 was the best car I’ve ever owned & while I regret downsizing one size too small, a full size truck in the city I think might not be ideal. A midsize might be just right.
I am moving from a Tundra to a Tacoma and I think a midsize is just right, at least for me. When I bought the Tundra I needed a 1/2 ton but now I don't and I want something that fits better in the city, gets better gas mileage and actually fits in my garage. Before the Tundra I had a Tacoma and I now realize that for me a midsize is just perfect.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Zero regrets. It was exactly what I wanted. I seriously love the truck. I didn’t want a big full size anymore. It served its purpose.

This is a “me” truck.

Reactions: MJE

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR 6 speed 4x4
I seem to be collecting anything that may be the last of its kind with intentions of keeping for that nostalgia like feeling . This truck with 6 speed And various carbureted motorcycles are now in my collection of make me feel like old times vehicles. Glad to have the manual sr Tacoma for the future I want to be like the past. But my hypocrisy can only go so far as I have flagship cutting edge vehicles as well. My pros are the 6 speed My cons are I wish it had no tech features and was just bare Bones like heater/ac roll down windows and that’s it.

Last edited:

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I am moving from a Tundra to a Tacoma and I think a midsize is just right, at least for me. When I bought the Tundra I needed a 1/2 ton but now I don't and I want something that fits better in the city, gets better gas mileage and actually fits in my garage. Before the Tundra I had a Tacoma and I now realize that for me a midsize is just perfect.
Thanks James. That was my thing in selling the F150, didn’t need a 1/2 ton any longer. With a move to the city surely I could get by with a compact car? I can, but only if I don’t want to leave the city for any length of drive.

Sponsored

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Zero regrets. It was exactly what I wanted. I seriously love the truck. I didn’t want a big full size anymore. It served its purpose.

This is a “me” truck.
Thanks Dave. I too think my F150 did what it needed to when I had it. Now my challenge is to find what will serve my purpose & life now. I need to get over to the dealer I think & finally check out a Taco in person.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Thanks Dave. I too think my F150 did what it needed to when I had it. Now my challenge is to find what will serve my purpose & life now. I need to get over to the dealer I think & finally check out a Taco in person.
you won’t regret it. Price is 2/3 of an F150.

Reactions: MJE

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco OR Premium
I took my truck off roading last weekend.. lots of Jeeps, 3rd Gen Taco's and a few 4 runners showed up. I was getting waves and stopped w/ people wanting to check out my 4th gen. They all loved what they could see. From a reliability standpoint, all new vehicles go through their own respective weeding out the issues phase for the first few years. I have no doubt that at some point, something will happen to mine. So far though at 3 months and 4500 miles in, it's yet to show any gremlins. I've seen quite a few videos from the YouTube bloggers and the vast majority of comments are from people who have never driven it. Over 7,000 units built and we've only heard of the few dozen that had issues (mostly because they happened on vloggers truck like TFL). It seems the biggest issue is the grill shutter (TRD Jon's happened at 10k). So my list is going to try to stay away from trim/option specific things. Coming from a 2008 Honda Ridgeline, here's my incomplete list:

Pros:
-It's a Tacoma, it's going to have a lot of aftermarket support
-Got rid of rear leaf spring (sorry lower trims)
-More fuel efficient
-More quiet
-Very comfortable for a truck
-Lots of headroom (6'3)
-Approach/Departure/Breakover angles pretty good for OEM suspension

Cons:
-I really wish Toyota had better engineering to allow for more storage when the rear seats are folded up
-I don't like the integrated hitch receiver.. it hangs too low IMHO
-Need felt or some kind of liners in all door pockets to prevent rattling when listening to music/off roading/etc
-No rear a/c vents
-Thin paint (already have a few nicks, some my fault)
-Grill shutter prevents ability to mount lights behind grill
-No spare parts available

I'm pretty sure there's more but that's all I can think of for now.

Paco877

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Pros:
- Low end torque is amazing
- Upgrading tires to 33s is easy as a lift or trimming is not required
- MPG is good overall
- I have the premium so all the amenities that you get with it is worth it id say
- The bed is deeper than the third gen. You can put a full size tote / plastic bin without having to fold the tonneau cover

Cons:
- Range is underwhelming. I get 450 km max with it but maybe it will increase once I get more mileage out of it
- All the stupid Toyota dings and rings
450km is pathetic range. That could be the main thing that prevents me from ever buying one of these, despite how great they look.

Camario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Chevrolet K2500. 2004 Subaru WRX STI
TRD OR 6M base Canadian spec. Really enjoying the truck so far.

The only cons I could think of, maybe a USB port for my music? I dunno I might not be really into tech. But I’ve always listened to my music off a USB stick.

People have told me to just connect my phone to the truck. But honestly, when I drive, the phone doesn’t exist for me.

someone mentioned a noisy wiper motor. I have noticed it is loud. But not to the point of being bothersome.

That’s it. Love the truck. Oh and I love iMT for the rev match downshifts. It’s like the lazy man’s manual.

where can I find the boost gauge?
Sponsored