Sponsored

Sidrta

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
BadApe - I believe I have the exact vehicle you have. I just ordered the OEM tonneau cover, give all the discussion here. I did have a question, do you like the tube steps. I am thinking about those a s well,. but didn't know how functional they are. Was going to order with the 20% special going on.
Sponsored

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
bsquaredMTB - looks great! I can only guess but maybe the clamps on the side rails are not positioned exactly right to give the rails the stiffness you want. It's only a guess as I didn't have that issue.

Here is my experience with the BAKflip MX4 installation on my 2024 TRD Sport.

Although I ran into some installation annoyances, I'm still happy with the purchase so far and love the matte finish ultra-low-profile look as that was one of the reasons I bought this one.

1. Ordered from RealTruck.com on 6/5/24. Since it wasn't available elsewhere, figured ordering from the manufacturer would be fastest.
2. Was still in order fulfillment on 6/13, so opened a support ticket asking for an update.
3. On 6/17 (a Monday), got an answer that it would be shipped on or before 7/3. I wasn't totally surprised but do wish their site was more informative and forecasted shipping dates. I expect they started manufacturing this particular sku very recently.
4. Got my shipping confirmation on 7/1 and received it on 7/3.

Installation
Installation was actually pretty straightforward but all the hassle so far as been getting the fit adjusted just right.

Mine came with the model year 16-23 instructions. They weren't too far off for the 2024 but there was one instruction which said to remove the endcaps on the rail header. That didn't make sense because the 2024 header rail isn't the full width of the bed and already has tapered caps so I ignored it.

The MX4 came with weather stripping which wasn't noted on the instructions. From one of the installation videos for an F-150, learned that it might be needed if you don't have a spray-on liner. I do but installed the weather stripping anyway. It didn't get in the way and figured it would help keep water out.

The drain tubes are 5/8" but the drain holes are much smaller. I haven't drilled mine out yet. Having a wide tube is good to keep it from clogging if dirt gets in there, but am thinking about necking it down to fit the oem drain holes. That is totally just my personal preference and I may end up drilling the holes bigger later.

One thing the model year 16-23 instructions don't call out is that the cover should be slid all the way forward so the flexible trim seal fully covers the end wall of the bed. That's the only way I could get enough clearance between the tailgate and the cover latches on the last panel. The instructions say it should have about a 1/8" gap at the tailgate but can't get that unless the cover is all the way forward.

The main problem was that the clamp (part G in step 5 of the 16-23 instructions) at the cab end of the rail interferes with the position of the cover retaining clamp (part F in step 9). Both of the parts can only go in one spot so not sure if that's a design problem or something I just haven't figured out.

This is what it looks like with the clamp in place showing how it's position interferes with the cover retaining clamp. The adapter rail can't move and the outside part of the clamp must go in a slot (not shown) so can't figure out how to get them aligned.
1720238198045-5e.jpg

Because the cover must be all the way forward to provide clearance for the tail gate, I removed the clamp (part G) until I figure how to get them side-by-side. It's not ideal, but it'll work for now.

1720238291162-xs.jpg

The final thing I had to figure out was how to get the BAKFlip rails to be vertical against the rail adapters which are mounted to the OEM rails. This is covered in steps 5 and 6 of the model year 16-23 instructions but getting it perfect turned out to be hugely critical.

The top of the bed side of Clamp G must be fully inserted into the rail as shown in step 6 to ensure the rail doesn't lean toward the bed. If it does, it will be too low for the cover latches to lock into place. I had to pull back on the rail while inserting that part of the clamp to get it to fully lock in place. Once that was done, the rail was level with the bed cap and the latches now make a very satisfying click when they snap in place.

Instead of having the bottom of the rail side of Clamp G meet the upper slot at the bottom of the bed side of Clamp G like the instructions said, I used the lower slot as that seemed to work better and keep it level. Other than that, the diagram is close to what I ended up doing.

This is how they look installed.

1720238416671-wa.jpg

Here are a few more shots of the final install showing the overlap near the cab and the clearance near the tailgate.

Front of cover overlapping the cab end of the bed.

1720238578840-lt.jpg

Clearance between the adapter rail and the tailgate fully closed.

1720238691965-o7.jpg

With the back panel slightly lifted. I wanted to show the clearance from the latch to the tailgate but it's hard to see,

1720238795875-bv.jpg

For reference, here is how the BAKFlip rails overlay the OEM bed top rubber.

1720238978835-77.jpg

and finally, how it overlaps the Tacoma on the top of the tailgate when it's closed.

1720239031798-ae.jpg

It was a bit of a pain to get everything adjusted just right but it's all done now. Still very happy with the purchase.

Hope this helps anyone else thinking about getting one.
GREAT explanation here. I tried to make the adjustments but was unsuccessful. I took it to a local installer and they explained the best way to deal with the clamps. Turns out they actually have to seat IN the rail like the pictures above. The installer explained to me that the best way to do it is to line up the rail, mark it then insert the clamp without the rail installed on the bed. The main issue is that the clamp won't move once it seats in the rail so it has to be marked THEN installed on the bed adapter. As far as clamp to hold the bed to the rail, the installer also concluded that the last clamp had to be moved out of the bracket to allow for the knobbed clamp to fit in the channel and clamp on to the rail. The installer said there was nothing wrong with moving the rail clamp down a bit to accommodate the knobbed clamp.

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Created an account just to let everyone know of my experiences with the new MX4 from Bak.
Received It earlier today and noticed that the instructions in the box were for model years 16-23. So I had to call and got them to email over the 24 instructions which are just slightly different.
As pointed out earlier, the factory bed rails are to be left in place and this is what the cover rails mount to. Little bit of difficulty with getting the rails in the correct spot, but the real trouble is that now there is hardly any support vertically and the bed cover rails bend a ton. Tried many different mounting positions but all are coming up the same. There just wasn’t enough sturdiness with this new design to close the cover and get it to latch all the way. I’ll be returning it tomorrow to go with another cover.

Have always had good luck with the MX4s on other trucks but this is a huge let down. Hope everyone has better luck!
@Stlman37 I hope you've kept up with this topic. I had the same issues you had but it turns out I wasn't installing the clamps properly. Take a look around page 10 and there is some good detail on how to get everything set up properly. Hope it helps.

Stlman37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium
@Stlman37 I hope you've kept up with this topic. I had the same issues you had but it turns out I wasn't installing the clamps properly. Take a look around page 10 and there is some good detail on how to get everything set up properly. Hope it helps.
Thanks! Ive been watching and tried to make a few adjustments. My clamps were inserted from the side all the way in the groove as you had suggested but I was still getting some fit Issues and the rails being slightly loose compared to the old design.
I ended up dropping it off at FedEx today for a complete return. Im pretty disappointed in Real truck for having to call for instructions that were not ready and shipped with the hardware itself.
Also the new design is more complicated to install and you lose access to the bed rails. Their engineers totally messed up the attachment point of the cover to the rails with the new plastic clip, which is quite a big thing to miss. Why they would do that, I’m not sure.
Between this lousy redesign and the OEM being $500 less, I had to change it up and get that one.

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Lots of good info and photos in this thread! Thanks everyone who has posted info so far.

With the 20% off sale going on right now at my local southeast dealership, I am considering order the OEM trifold tonneau cover (part # PT954-35240). I would also like to order the bed extender (part # PT392-35240).

I read the installation instructions for the OEM tonneau cover and saw that it has you relocate the factory rails about two inches lower. Will this prevent me from installing the bed extender? Will the bed extender still fit with the tonneau cover fully closed?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
I’ve been following this thread. It’s great and does what this forum is supposed to do, help each other out.

but wow, can’t believe how poorly engineered these hard tops are. One would think when they are retailed they’d be a working product.

to that point, I bought the OE soft tonneau, installed it myself, easy install, easy adjustment, uses OE bEd rail placement, still allows me to use my OE bed divider, we’ve had a lot of rain, pretty dry in the bed after rain, no drain tubes. Only issue I have with it is I can’t flip the third panel against the cab window when needing full bed length. The whole cover can be removed fairly easily though.

my question, and I debated getting a hard tonneau over soft - why bother with the hard one when the soft seems to me to just work better and is Less expensive. Main reason I opted for soft was because the hard ones were not available but the soft was and I wanted a tonneau cover right away And thought at some point if the soft one gives out or doesn’t work, I’d get a hard one. But from all my readings glad I didn’t buy a hard tonneau, and if I had to buy a tonneau with what I now know from reading on this thread I’d buy another soft tonneau again.

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Thanks! Ive been watching and tried to make a few adjustments. My clamps were inserted from the side all the way in the groove as you had suggested but I was still getting some fit Issues and the rails being slightly loose compared to the old design.
I ended up dropping it off at FedEx today for a complete return. Im pretty disappointed in Real truck for having to call for instructions that were not ready and shipped with the hardware itself.
Also the new design is more complicated to install and you lose access to the bed rails. Their engineers totally messed up the attachment point of the cover to the rails with the new plastic clip, which is quite a big thing to miss. Why they would do that, I’m not sure.
Between this lousy redesign and the OEM being $500 less, I had to change it up and get that one.
What a pain! At least they were able to make it right. Hopefully the OEM one works out for you!

BadApe

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
BadApe - I believe I have the exact vehicle you have. I just ordered the OEM tonneau cover, give all the discussion here. I did have a question, do you like the tube steps. I am thinking about those a s well,. but didn't know how functional they are. Was going to order with the 20% special going on.
So I'm 6'2" so I don't really use them myself. My wife is 5'3" and really needed that little extra boost that the step provides for ingress and egress.

That said, I love the look of them. The truck looked "naked" from the side - like something was missing. The steps fix that and give it the nice finished look that I wanted.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR Base
Some great information shared here! This confirms a lot of my confusion about the OEM brackets NOT matching the updated Bak brackets, despite the assumptions of both being manufactured by Bak.

The revolver X4s is in the same situation as the MX4 using the updated Bak brackets. I positioned the clamps similarly to the revised instructions.. the forward clamp in front of the forward metal mounting point and the rear clamp as far back as possible. All of them tightened as high as possible with still being able to get a socket or wrench on the clamp nut. No flex issues! I'll take a few photos later this evening.

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Should be receiving my MX4 on the 10th...can the bed rails be used at all with the new design can you leave a couple of those yota tie downs in the rails in between the bakflip hardware?

Sponsored

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Should be receiving my MX4 on the 10th...can the bed rails be used at all with the new design can you leave a couple of those yota tie downs in the rails in between the bakflip hardware?
I have me oem tie downs in there still. They are a bit difficult to put on and take off with the cover but other than that they are functional. You can see them mounted under the cover in this pic. I was able to move them freely but to take them off I have to move them to a spot in the rail that has a slot. That allowed me to get them off. It's not easy by any means but I don't plan on removing them to often so it's not a huge issue for me.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240705_205957

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjc

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
I have me oem tie downs in there still. They are a bit difficult to put on and take off with the cover but other than that they are functional. You can see them mounted under the cover in this pic. I was able to move them freely but to take them off I have to move them to a spot in the rail that has a slot. That allowed me to get them off. It's not easy by any means but I don't plan on removing them to often so it's not a huge issue for me.

20240705_205957.jpg
Thanks... I'm glad we can still use a couple if we need it...Just need to leave them in there but out of the way... You have any regrets over not getting the " old style" OEM drop rail mounting

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Thanks... I'm glad we can still use a couple if we need it...Just need to leave them in there but out of the way... You have any regrets over not getting the " old style" OEM drop rail mounting
I really don't. I think sometimes we focus on what we can't do instead of what we can do. For me, having the use of the OEM rails looks cleaner than having them dropped, but I do think that's a personal preference for sure.

Reactions: Kjc

Ohski1

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
After waiting for over a month to receive my MX4, I finally got it today. However, during installation, I noticed that the passenger side rail was bent/damaged. I realized that I should have inspected everything before starting the installation. It's frustrating to encounter manufacturing and shipping delays, only to find damaged parts. Furthermore, there was so much overspray in the clamp channels on the rails that it was extremely difficult to slide them in. I've had Bak tonneaus in the past, but it seems like their quality has declined.
Now, I'm waiting for RealTruck customer service to respond to me. I regret not purchasing the OEM tonneau with the 4th promotion. Sigh.

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
After waiting for over a month to receive my MX4, I finally got it today. However, during installation, I noticed that the passenger side rail was bent/damaged. I realized that I should have inspected everything before starting the installation. It's frustrating to encounter manufacturing and shipping delays, only to find damaged parts. Furthermore, there was so much overspray in the clamp channels on the rails that it was extremely difficult to slide them in. I've had Bak tonneaus in the past, but it seems like their quality has declined.
Now, I'm waiting for RealTruck customer service to respond to me. I regret not purchasing the OEM tonneau with the 4th promotion. Sigh.
That's super unfortunate. I'd bet they got damaged in shipping. I will say the install is kinda finicky but once everything is on there right, the cover looks great and functions properly. I can't vouch for the durability since I just got it but it seems solid. Hopefully RealTruck can make it right for you.
Sponsored