• Total voters

TripleAliners

ELITE Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Hello Tacoma enthusiasts!
It looks like many of you have recently picked up the Hybrid model. We're wondering how you made your choice between the Hybrid and Gasoline versions. What factors were most important to you?

Gasoline-powered Tacomas offer ample power and they generally have a lower upfront cost compared to Hybrids.
However Hybrids are known for their fuel efficiency, which can save money on gas.

Both gasoline-powered and hybrid Toyota Tacomas have their strengths.
How did you decide on your Tacoma? Feel free to share your opinions and join the vote!
Sponsored

McWubs

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently, 20’ WRX but 24’ ORLB on order
I went gas iForce, mainly because I wanted a long bed and you can’t get the OR hybrid long bed. Under seat storage is super nice, otherwise there’s almost no storage for anything you can’t fit in the door. Power on the gas is still really more than enough IMO and I’m coming from a wrx. I do wish I had the 2.4kW inverter though

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
I value the 2400w inverter, power, slight increase in mpg, and elimination of turbo lag over the underseat storage. That’s not to mention the otherbme

very happy with my decision so far. The thing movessss when I want it to, and can coast at great mpg when I want it to.

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
I got the standard gasoline motor solely due to price. The hybrid also wasn't available yet when I bought my truck but still due to the price I would have chosen the gasoline engine either way.

Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I went gas iForce, mainly because I wanted a long bed and you can’t get the OR hybrid long bed. Under seat storage is super nice, otherwise there’s almost no storage for anything you can’t fit in the door. Power on the gas is still really more than enough IMO and I’m coming from a wrx. I do wish I had the 2.4kW inverter though
The long bed became the main point but we did consider the hybrid powertrain for new Land Cruiser and Tacomas. It seemed inane to own a pickup that could not do what the Sienna could while facing a next few years needing tow and carry capacity the van could not do.

While my Tacoma now has to be my primary personal vehicle when my wife works, it also has to be a work tool. Maybe we'd have considered a hybrid if it existed in a long bed version. We were not fans of the halo models and are very happy to have found a TRD OR long with only upgrade, 400 watt and mudguards.

I'm probably an exception to a lot of the enthusiasm here. While I still have getting a tent/wedge topper in mind to start retirement, my Tacoma purchase is mostly a tool for my business and redeveloping a property. Unlike several past pickups it is quite civilized.

hart24601

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 limited taco
I picked the gas only model as I, ideally, have this truck for 15+ years and pass it down to one of my young kids. That is the plan at least….

So I picked the gas just due to battery aging and replacement long term. Otherwise I would go with hybrid

Someguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRDOR 6MT / 2023 4Runner Limited
Gas for the Manual transmission. If it was an option on the hybrid I might have been tempted to give that a try due to power, but I love having the under-seat storage.

that_frenchman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road Premium iForce Max
Went with hybrid for ALL the power lol. I've driven both and can appreciate the immediate and smooth power from a stop, though the gas is not too far behind. Also highly value the 2400W inverter. Not seeing as many MPG gains it seems so I wouldn't use that as a main factor in your decision.

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
With just the straight gas engine and 8-speed auto tranny, it's a gross improvement over the previous generation.

It's all I need from my daily driver and towing my 1400-pound camper. The hybrid's added torque, complexity, and cost doesn't fit my bill.

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Hybrid for future proofing. Since I keep my vehicles for 10 years, I didn't want any regrets down the line. I'm getting a Limited because I want my old ass to be pampered going down the road.

Last edited:

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I didn’t see enough benifit for what I needed with the hybrid. You lose the back seat storage as well so I saved a bit of money and stayed with the ICE engine.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Still waiting on mine, but going with hybrid. I'm tired of new 4cyl turbo vehicles having that off-the-line lag, and even though it's fairly minimal on the gas model, I want it to not exist. I'm also expecting the hybrid to tow very smoothly, and I like that although the hybrid doesn't see a huge MPG boost, you basically get slightly more clearance and bigger wheels/tires without a mileage penalty. The inverter is a nice bonus that will occasionally come in handy.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
My truck is now built but I am still waiting for it to arrive. It was a hybrid for me regardless because a Pro doesn't come any other way. :cool:

But that would be my choice anyway. There is nothing wrong with the non-hybrid and it is a great engine. But I am a power junkie and I really value having lots of power in any situation. I also like getting more torque and better mileage. I will miss the underseat storage in the rear, but that is a tradeoff I am willing to make.

I will keep my truck a very long time and I am not worried about the hybrid battery life. When the first Prius came out they gave that long warranty to make people feel better. But most of those cars have gone way past that now and very few have needed to have a battery replacement.

I see either choice as a good one. The standard engine is fine for anything you would ask it to do, and the hybrid is just (expensive) icing on the cake.