Sponsored

2024 Tacoma TRD Pro Full Transmission Replacement After 342 Miles

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback, 2024 TRD OR Tacoma
Although I have my deposit down on a TRD OR premium just 5 weeks out, I'm starting to Google ZR2's.

Guys this is awful. No one with a new $50k+ vehicle should feel worry or doubt when driving. We're dropping this kind of money on a brand new vehicle for the peace of mind knowing we are the first owner it should be worry-free hassle-free for the first couple years at least.
The first gen run of a vehicle definitely is going to have some rough edges but not full transmission fails.
And like one person mentioned before, everybody was skeptical of the engine but it seems like it's actually been pretty rock solid and reliable so far.

If you recall the manual transmission needed some detuning to the engine because wasn't it the transmission wasn't strong enough to handle the power? And here we are with failing transmissions.
I know the engine isn't ground up built, was adopted from 1 or 2 vehicles currently using the it but is this a new transmission?

Again I'm incredibly sorry you folks are going through this! Are you just hosed for you car note while it's undrivable or does Toyota supplement that?
Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Although I have my deposit down on a TRD OR premium just 5 weeks out, I'm starting to Google ZR2's.

Guys this is awful. No one with a new $50k+ vehicle should feel worry or doubt when driving. We're dropping this kind of money on a brand new vehicle for the peace of mind knowing we are the first owner it should be worry-free hassle-free for the first couple years at least.
The first gen run of a vehicle definitely is going to have some rough edges but not full transmission fails.
And like one person mentioned before, everybody was skeptical of the engine but it seems like it's actually been pretty rock solid and reliable so far.

If you recall the manual transmission needed some detuning to the engine because wasn't it the transmission wasn't strong enough to handle the power? And here we are with failing transmissions.
I know the engine isn't ground up built, was adopted from 1 or 2 vehicles currently using the it but is this a new transmission?

Again I'm incredibly sorry you folks are going through this! Are you just hosed for you car note while it's undrivable or does Toyota supplement that?
My lemon law was for a transmission issue. I can not go Into detail because of gag order but I will say this. I won the law suit the vehicle was repaired and I still currently own it trouble free. Your speculations we have all heard before and have been proven as false or opinionated hear say. You seem very gullible to what you are informed on about the 2024 Tacoma from sources not genuine. Do what you will with your future purchase but don’t think for one second trash talking the 24 Tacoma to better influence your decision making will go unnoticed or unanswered by this proud owner.

Wutangz_Taco

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro Tacoma
Sorry, OP. Hope this gets resolved. I’ve got one on deposit getting built sometime soon (week 30 per temp vin, 8/6 per dealer). I’ll be driving it 1,000 miles from the dealership home. Had to get that ADM-free, you know? Hoping for the best! Good luck with yours.

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback, 2024 TRD OR Tacoma
What? I wasn't trash talking dude, I'm just apprehensive with the handful of issues that have been found so far on the Tacoma. Compounded with the other issues Toyota has had recently would naturally cause someone to be cautious with their money.
You yourself mentioned you won a lemon lawsuit. Confirming an issue with your purchase.
I mentioned I have a deposit down, I've been quite excited for my new truck. I'm not trashing anyone's decision. The vehicle is gorgeous and I've owned multiple 4 cyl turbo vehicles. I have full faith in Toyota and their force induction ICE. You got really offended and I only am voicing my concerns as a soon to be owner myself.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Sorry, OP. Hope this gets resolved. I’ve got one on deposit getting built sometime soon (week 30 per temp vin, 8/6 per dealer).
JUst for another point of reference, my temporary vin said week 28 (7/8-7/14) and my truck was built on 7/27. So it looks like they are running a couple of weeks behind schedule, and that would line up with your dealer's date. It is great to know that mine is built and now for the long wait for it to get to me.

Sponsored

Wutangz_Taco

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro Tacoma
JUst for another point of reference, my temporary vin said week 28 (7/8-7/14) and my truck was built on 7/27. So it looks like they are running a couple of weeks behind schedule, and that would line up with your dealer's date. It is great to know that mine is built and now for the long wait for it to get to me.
Ahh, that’s good to know. Definitely appreciate getting any information about what’s happening. Dealer has been great, but patience is not my strong suit.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
What? I wasn't trash talking dude, I'm just apprehensive with the handful of issues that have been found so far on the Tacoma. Compounded with the other issues Toyota has had recently would naturally cause someone to be cautious with their money.
You yourself mentioned you won a lemon lawsuit. Confirming an issue with your purchase.
I mentioned I have a deposit down, I've been quite excited for my new truck. I'm not trashing anyone's decision. The vehicle is gorgeous and I've owned multiple 4 cyl turbo vehicles. I have full faith in Toyota and their force induction ICE. You got really offended and I only am voicing my concerns as a soon to be owner myself.
Are you a gambling man? Switch out to the ZR2. If not when you get your 24 Tacoma you will be welcomed with open arms by the vast majority of 24 Tacoma owners here with no issues to speak of. And the owners with a few minor problems and unfortunately the owners with something more serious. We are all in this together.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@dissapointed Your issue was a failed U-Joint, right? That is the first that I have seen so far on a 4th gen. That is a really rare thing, or at least it was in the past. What has your dealer told you and what is happening with your truck?

My TRD Pro is awaiting shipping, so it would help me to know about something that could happen with my truck too. I would assume that all 4th gens use the same U-Joints, so you might just be incredibly unlucky. My Tundra has zerks on the U-Joints and if I remember correctly the new Tacos do not.

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
Sorry, OP. Hope this gets resolved. I’ve got one on deposit getting built sometime soon (week 30 per temp vin, 8/6 per dealer). I’ll be driving it 1,000 miles from the dealership home. Had to get that ADM-free, you know? Hoping for the best! Good luck with yours.
Strongly recommend that you make the first couple hundred miles (at least) of that country highways with varying speeds not greater than 65.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
. I was told TRD Pro has the same driveline components as all 24 Tacoma trims and they had not encountered this issue to date. Toyota engineers were consulted.
So is a new driveshaft on the way? Do you have any idea how long it will take to get to you?

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
I unfortunately had to lemon law one time in California. If you need any advisement in that matter just ask. Hopefully your back on the road before it comes to that.
Thank you man. Hope this issue gets addressed and solved . People buying these expensive trucks like TRD PROS and this happeneds makes you want to pull your hair out.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@dissapointed I just want to add that a lot of us have been sceptical of some of the claims of Tacoma failures because in the past Toyota 4x4 drivetrains were indeed bullet proof. I have owned and wheeled Toyotas for years and I have never been let down even once, let alone on the freaking drive home. There is an old saying in the offroad community that if you want to go anywhere in the world you drive a Land Rover, but if you also want to come back home again drive a Land Cruiser.

For something as basic and fundamental as a driveshaft to fail is beyond my understanding and belief. Toyota had better address this stuff and do it fast or 50+ years of reputation could be gone in a heartbeat.

My wife just asked me if I was still buying my TRD Pro, and I said yes because Toyota will take care of you. They will figure this out and fix it in all the trucks that need it, but this never should have happened. You are disappointed but I think I would be way beyond that.

Again. Good Luck to you and to Toyota whose reputation is indeed on the line right now.

WhiteLightning

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
@dissapointed I just want to add that a lot of us have been sceptical of some of the claims of Tacoma failures because in the past Toyota 4x4 drivetrains were indeed bullet proof. I have owned and wheeled Toyotas for years and I have never been let down even once, let alone on the freaking drive home. There is an old saying in the offroad community that if you want to go anywhere in the world you drive a Land Rover, but if you also want to come back home again drive a Land Cruiser.

For something as basic and fundamental as a driveshaft to fail is beyond my understanding and belief. Toyota had better address this stuff and do it fast or 50+ years of reputation could be gone in a heartbeat.

My wife just asked me if I was still buying my TRD Pro, and I said yes because Toyota will take care of you. They will figure this out and fix it in all the trucks that need it, but this never should have happened. You are disappointed but I think I would be way beyond that.

Again. Good Luck to you and to Toyota whose reputation is indeed on the line right now.
I am wondering if this is why my truck sat at the port for a month, to really do a good inspection because mine is now on the boat and est to be at my dealership between august 9-22. I am hoping it had a thorough evaluation so it is smooth sailing from here on out. This has not deterred me from getting my pro at all, just something to look out for. Of course there will be issues with every truck no matter the year tbh.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@WhiteLightning I totally agree and I hope Toyota is on top of this, which might explain some of the QC holds we have seen. My truck was built just four days ago and I hope that they had it figured out by then. But I still trust Toyota to put you in a loaner and fix whatever does go wrong.

I never expected to tell so many new Toyota buyers "Good Luck" but here it is!
Sponsored