Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
@Gfenza89 That was my best guess too. Just plain shitty shifting is apparently normal, but only in some trucks. I assume the debris has compromised the functionality of the solenoids but not enough for them to get stuck and throw a code.

As far as I can tell the short answer is that you are basically screwed.
So the bizzare thing is I just got home with my truck and it shifted perfectly whole ride home, idk I’m at a loss I guess I’ll just be riding it out
Sponsored

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Worst case scenario is you have a borderline transmission with a small amount of debris. Just enough to make it shift poorly for the life of the vehicle and maybe last half as long, but not enough to throw codes.

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Worst case scenario is you have a borderline transmission with a small amount of debris. Just enough to make it shift poorly for the life of the vehicle and maybe last half as long, but not enough to throw codes.
Yeah I guess anything is possible, so I guess I’ll be forced to purchase the extended warranty because there’s no way I’m gambling with that. In the meantime let’s just hope Toyota comes clean and tells us what in the hell is going on

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Yeah I guess anything is possible, so I guess I’ll be forced to purchase the extended warranty because there’s no way I’m gambling with that. In the meantime let’s just hope Toyota comes clean and tells us what in the hell is going on
Odds are low you’ll limp along forever. The issue will become clearer as time goes on and there will be a fix. Also toyota kinda has to buy some time - they don’t have tens of thousands of transmissions lying around. So if it’s not broke for now they will not fix it and I can understand why.

Plumbers 1st Taco

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 double cab
No check engine light, just stored code, shifted like crap. Before the TSB it also had stored code and shifted harshly, Toyota declined to replace it on the first visit and shipped it.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Odds are low you’ll limp along forever. The issue will become clearer as time goes on and there will be a fix. Also toyota kinda has to buy some time - they don’t have tens of thousands of transmissions lying around. So if it’s not broke for now they will not fix it and I can understand why.
Agreed, I truly believe they are well aware and will eventually do the right thing by us, like they always have. I’m not drastically concerned after really thinking everything through, something as important as the transmission there’s no way they are gonna let this con keep going

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
No check engine light, just stored code, shifted like crap. Before the TSB it also had stored code and shifted harshly, Toyota declined to replace it on the first visit and shipped it.
Interesting so it can store codes with out an engine light being on, how’s yours shifting now? Put some miles on it yet?

Sponsored

Plumbers 1st Taco

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 double cab
Shifting well. Haven’t had a chance to really put a bunch of miles on it yet. Hopefully get in a roadtrip soon.

Photo_Nerd

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
I might be a minority here, but I kind of liked the old days when we didn’t have so much information so readily available to us. Don’t get me wrong, I like how easy it is to find data these days. But it sure causes a lot of extra anxiety that may or may not even be warranted. Are we really believing that this many problems in vehicles is new or atypical? Problems with vehicles have existed for as long as vehicles have existed. We were just less aware of it in the old days because we couldn’t pull out our phones to google everything like we can now. They are machines, and machines (no matter how precisely built) are still vulnerable to the random variation of the universe. It’s the same thing as dwelling on the fact that the odds of you dying within the next 10 seconds is not zero. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

I’m not saying let’s not be concerned at all. It’s certainly good information to have. Something to be aware of if there’s a pattern revealing itself. But if you ask me, I’m not going to lose any sleep over this unless I have to. So far, my truck is running smoothly as it should. And I’m not about to sit there worrying about a potential future problem that may or may not even occur. If something does happen, I’ll see what my options are and go from there. Unless that’s the case, I’ll continue to enjoy my ride. My girlfriend calls it my “super truck.” Haha!

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Just picked up my truck from PPF. Def noticed hard shift from first to second gear a few times. It stopped after I drove it a few miles. Sigh. Wish this wasn’t an issue!

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I might be a minority here, but I kind of liked the old days when we didn’t have so much information so readily available to us. Don’t get me wrong, I like how easy it is to find data these days. But it sure causes a lot of extra anxiety that may or may not even be warranted. Are we really believing that this many problems in vehicles is new or atypical? Problems with vehicles have existed for as long as vehicles have existed. We were just less aware of it in the old days because we couldn’t pull out our phones to google everything like we can now. They are machines, and machines (no matter how precisely built) are still vulnerable to the random variation of the universe. It’s the same thing as dwelling on the fact that the odds of you dying within the next 10 seconds is not zero. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

I’m not saying let’s not be concerned at all. It’s certainly good information to have. Something to be aware of if there’s a pattern revealing itself. But if you ask me, I’m not going to lose any sleep over this unless I have to. So far, my truck is running smoothly as it should. And I’m not about to sit there worrying about a potential future problem that may or may not even occur. If something does happen, I’ll see what my options are and go from there. Unless that’s the case, I’ll continue to enjoy my ride. My girlfriend calls it my “super truck.” Haha!
Yeah but we now all know. So it makes it harder. And as we notice small symptoms we have to pay attention. I drive far to my rural property. I always tell my kids a ford will get you there but a toyota will get you back when I explain why I don’t have an F150. Not sure that statement applies now.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I agree with you in general @Photo_Nerd, but this is different. Toyota has basically told us that our transmissions might fail totally and strand us at any time, sometimes with little warning. That is a little stronger case than just worrying about something that a few people have reported online.

@tacorancher This afternoon as my truck was coming to a stop I felt a slight shudder and thought - holy crap - is this how it starts? So this situation focuses a lense on things that I might have never given a thought before

There is an old off road saying: A Land Rover will take you any place on earth, but if you also want to come back home again take a Land Cruiser. I kind of doubt that statement is totally true anymore either.
Sponsored