Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
The differences in the TRD Pro aren't just cosmetic bs - that is incorrect and distorts the discussion. If you don't want or value a Pro that is fine by me. But don't think you will change the minds of those of us who both understand the advantages of a Pro and can afford to buy one.

Stuff like the lift, the Fox shocks, the ARB bumper, better suspension articulation and better approach/departure angles are clearly off road performance improvements and not eye candy. On top of that, there are numerous hardware upgrades like CV joints that can handle this better suspension and with a factory warranty. No more getting busted for modding your truck at warranty time. Toyota will have upgraded all kinds of obscure hardware for the higher level of duty in the Pro - it has been Toyota's engineering way forever.

You will see common parts with lower grades but this truck is not just a badge queen. And all those "after market" mods are covered by the factory warranty. Well worth it to me.
Sponsored

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
At the end of the day, all you're buying is a bunch of bolt ons and some appearance package things. There's no performance improvements here that aren't available on the base TRD OR. It's the same truck, on the same frame with the same engine. This is a cosmetic upgrade for $15k. It does not get you a higher level of fit and finish. It does not get you a white glove assembly. As long as people are aware they're paying $15,000 for some bumpers, shocks and a black wrap, there shouldn't be any issues.
My TRD OR with upgrade package has Bilstein shocks, the TRD Pro is spec’d with FOX shocks, I believe. People can get what they want.. Ironic, I watched the video last night and then stumbled upon this thread. The reviewer had some legitimate gripes. I would also contend that if he was reviewing a preproduction truck, that this isn’t really a fair evaluation of Toyota did indeed improve/revise the build quality of the Tacoma for production. Welcome to the internet, where everyone is an expert and has an opinion, lol.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter LB, Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
"Rock sliders" bolted to sheet metal?
The Trailhunter is mounted to the frame. Not sure why the Pro isn’t. Also there are a LOT of options in that price bump you aren’t mentioning.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I was amused at how he dinged Toyota for the standard power tailgate, while admitting that everyone has those now. Like all mechanics, myself included, he wishes engineering paid more attention to ease of service. But Toyota is no worse than other brands. A lot was just his personal preferences, and I don't really care what he thinks.

All his nit picks just don't add up to "The Unfortunate Truth About the 2024 Taco", which implies it is a POS, while he largely praises it.

Tis is the very definition of clickbait if you ask me.

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
I think most of his points are valid. We shouldn’t make excuses on quality when we are giving our hard earned money to a corporation for a truck.
Many critics are haters and upset because they can’t afford a TRD Pro, but this guy is factual good or bad and backs up his points.
The upgrades are substantial on a PRO and the important point about warranty has been mentioned.

Knowing all this going in, we can make an informed decision if the TRD Pro is the right truck for oneself. His video is more than click bait though the title is definitely click bait lol.

Sponsored

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
The Trailhunter is mounted to the frame. Not sure why the Pro isn’t. Also there are a LOT of options in that price bump you aren’t mentioning.
Because it is a running board on the Pro, not a rock slider. The Pro is built for Baja Racing, the Trailhunter is built for overlanding/rock crawling. Sure the Pro can, just like an SR5 but that's not it's purpose. That said, my hood bounces as well. Probably thin aluminium to cut weight.

Taconatron

First Name
nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
It’s crazy how two people will look at the exact same sky and one will call it blue and the other light blue and then argue.

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
I think most of his points are valid. We shouldn’t make excuses on quality when we are giving our hard earned money to a corporation for a truck.
Many critics are haters and upset because they can’t afford a TRD Pro, but this guy is factual good or bad and backs up his points.
The upgrades are substantial on a PRO and the important point about warranty has been mentioned.

Knowing all this going in, we can make an informed decision if the TRD Pro is the right truck for oneself. His video is more than click bait though the title is definitely click bait lol.
Agreed. The Car Care Nut is a Toyota wizard. The dude knows his stuff when it comes to Toyotas, so his opinions, in my opinion, are very relevant. Paying a $20K premium over a base TRD should net you better quality than what is shown here in this example, and I’m betting that within the next year or two, many issues will be addressed. My hopes are:
1) that they drop the goofy seats or make changes to allow for better space in the back… hell, why not offer an Xtra cab variant to save weight and functionality to the space behind the front seats if they’re super committed to keeping them as “isodynamic”? 2) put actual sliders on there. 3) give us a manual transmission. If they make these things happen, I’d be first in line to get one. I seriously love the looks of it, but there’s just no way it’s worth 20 grand more with less storage space (none under the rear seats) and leg room in the back… I don’t care how comfortable they are lol. The moon roof and electronic tailgate are two other things that I’d love to see made as separate options because I have zero desire for those things too. Even the rear sliding window is virtually useless. Why not give us a rear window that slides down like the tundra’s? Dream TRD Pro truck that I’d spend $65K on, easily, right there. Toyota, are you listening? 😂🍻

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
I think the Pro Taco is a sick truck. If They made a 6’ bed I’d probably buy one. Care Care Nut makes some valid points, but he’s a full size IForceMax Tundra guy so right there he can’t justify the price of a halo midsize.

You’re either hellbent on building up a stock iForce & storing knick knacks under the rear bench or you want more torque, high end power management with a huge inverter and some pretty solid kit bolted on right out the factory. 6 more gradients of trims in between. What’s not to love…

guitarist alec

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport 4X4 Longbed Premium
For those of who need a 6 foot bed, buying a Premium OR, or SPORT in the low 50K’s, is an excellent choice . . . No need for a Halo trim . . . I’ve put 3,000 miles on my new Tacoma in the 3 weeks I’ve that had it, and it’s been great . . . Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho, Montana . . . absolutely fun to own and drive 🤗

We drove 1,000 miles in the last 2 days and averaged 25 mpg, with 4 adults and a bed full of gear. Loving everything about it so far, and YES, I saved up the money over the last 5 years to buy it outright, so I can afford it, and I do not have to complain about the price. I sold my 12 year old 2nd Gen for 53% of what I paid for it, what other truck offers you that kind of resale value? I'm glad I waited and got the exact build and color I wanted. . . sure, this truck at this price is not for everyone ~ fair enough. . . but If this is your kind of truck go for it- I'm sure glad I did.
2024 Tacoma Bouncy hood (& other interesting info) explained by the Car Care Nut IMG_4485

Sponsored

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
You’re either hellbent on building up a stock iForce & storing knick knacks under the rear bench or you want more torque, high end power management with a huge inverter and some pretty solid kit bolted on right out the factory. 6 more gradients of trims in between. What’s not to love…
Imagine if you had the option for either a crew cab with actual usable seats in the back, or storage areas like in the xtracab with a 6’ bed, actual frame mounted sliders, the hybrid powertrain with an optional manual transmission, a winch-ready front bumper, lose the dumb moonroof, add a full-sized sliding rear window, the axel dump exhaust from the trailhunter, or a unique PRO exhaust of some kind, an optional powered lifting tailgate (I guess for those who have difficulty lifting the most lightweight tailgate I’ve ever felt on a truck lol), and all the other goodies to be expected on the PRO model. I’d buy one without question, and I’d gladly pay $65K for the privilege. Fingers crossed some of this stuff could happen some day! On a side note, I actually like that the tilt function of the seats is manual. I used to get super agitated waiting 10 minutes for the seat to move while I’m standing there holding the button so I could clean the seats properly.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Imagine if you had the option for either a crew cab with actual usable seats in the back, or storage areas like in the xtracab with a 6’ bed, actual frame mounted sliders, the hybrid powertrain with an optional manual transmission, a winch-ready front bumper, lose the dumb moonroof, add a full-sized sliding rear window, the axel dump exhaust from the trailhunter, or a unique PRO exhaust of some kind, an optional powered lifting tailgate (I guess for those who have difficulty lifting the most lightweight tailgate I’ve ever felt on a truck lol), and all the other goodies to be expected on the PRO model. I’d buy one without question, and I’d gladly pay $65K for the privilege. Fingers crossed some of this stuff could happen some day! On a side note, I actually like that the tilt function of the seats is manual. I used to get super agitated waiting 10 minutes for the seat to move while I’m standing there holding the button so I could clean the seats properly.
yep. PreRunner 4x4 iForceMax w/Premium package, heritage grille, ARB rear bumper, 2400w inverter, factory lift, frame mounted sliders, underside protection, swaybar disconnect 🙌🏽

Tacohunter2024

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime → '24 TRD OR or Sport
I test drove a Sport, the hood shaking and flexing just driving down the road was very disappointing. I think he was being kind blaming it on a gasket; it's too thin, period.

I agree with him, too many gimmicks, not enough of what I would actually want.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
It definitely was not a production truck by any means. I have seen others review the pro who are about his same height (motor maggie for example) has her seat in a comfortable position and there was a ton of room in the back of the Pro.

Spacious room at 8:06
Have you been in a pro. There’s def not tons of room lmao
Sponsored