Cold Air Intake?

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
Anyone aware of a cold air intake that will fit the 2024 Tacoma?
Sponsored

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco OR Premium
Probably wouldn't see any noticeable gain. These trucks all have a turbocharger, the compressed air is going to heat up quite a bit. Best to wait to see if anyone fabricates a better flowing or larger intercooler.

OP
OP

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
Probably wouldn't see any noticeable gain. These trucks all have a turbocharger, the compressed air is going to heat up quite a bit. Best to wait to see if anyone fabricates a better flowing or larger intercooler.
the interxooler is shared with the radiator, so it’s not likely to see an aftermarket intercooler.

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
A cold air I take will definitely help out and gain some power because of the turbo. When I put the full cold air kit on my WRX and tuned it out correctly I definitely saw an increase in power and air temps.

I bet afe will make one soon enough just like for the tundra

Ghosted_trd

First Name
Jace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner, 2017 4Runner, 2024 Tacoma
the interxooler is shared with the radiator, so it’s not likely to see an aftermarket intercooler.
The intercooler isn’t apart of the radiator, they are two separate components. It sits right in front of the radiator more towards the upper portion.

Sponsored

Ghosted_trd

First Name
Jace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner, 2017 4Runner, 2024 Tacoma
A cold air I take will definitely help out and gain some power because of the turbo. When I put the full cold air kit on my WRX and tuned it out correctly I definitely saw an increase in power and air temps.

I bet afe will make one soon enough just like for the tundra
I have a prototype K&N cold air intake on my Tacoma and I’m beyond impressed!

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I have a hard time believing that the engineers at Toyota didn't maximize the intake system.

Trocious

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Premium
With modern turbocharged engines you usually need a tune when changing the intake. Otherwise the default MAF mapping will cause issues, usually with low RPM operation.

We already have a cold air intake, the factory intake box is pulling in air outside the engine compartment. Any power gains are usually from the tune.

I would like to hear more of the turbo noises. Not anything obnoxious but a little increase. Not sure if anyone will come up with a good solution for that. Maybe some different intake piping or a different charge pipe.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
This will be an interesting time for me. I've spent a lifetime with naturally aspirated V8s, and now I'm moving on to an advanced turbocharged inline-4. I even had to look up what a charge pipe was. 😄

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
I can’t wait to get an intake for it and free up those wonderful turbo noises. Haha

I did see afe is working on an intake and they also have a couple cat back exhausts out.

PullinDoubles

First Name
Bobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma TRD Sport
Cold air intake will do nothing but make extra noise to try and fool you. And let more dirt in.
It can't do what they claim in most all applications. They spend millions of dollars engineering these engines. Stock air filter setup will supply far more air the that tiny engine could ever possibly need.

OP
OP

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
With modern turbocharged engines you usually need a tune when changing the intake. Otherwise the default MAF mapping will cause issues, usually with low RPM operation.

We already have a cold air intake, the factory intake box is pulling in air outside the engine compartment. Any power gains are usually from the tune.

I would like to hear more of the turbo noises. Not anything obnoxious but a little increase. Not sure if anyone will come up with a good solution for that. Maybe some different intake piping or a different charge pipe.
I’m aware that a tune is needed after both getting intake and exhaust work to see any real benefits. My understanding is that all of these things are in the works.I guess I should have phrased better, I’d like to see a higher flow air intake with less restriction.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
I have a hard time believing that the engineers at Toyota didn't maximize the intake system.
It's usually a balancing act of performance and cost though. No opinions here, happy to see how it plays out before I touch the original one.