Sponsored

Describe your transmission behavior.

moondog190

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
TRD Off Road with 900 miles. At first start up second to third is a little rough but after that everything smooths out nicely. I’m hoping it’s not an indication of something worse to come.
Sponsored

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
TRD Off Road with 900 miles. At first start up second to third is a little rough but after that everything smooths out nicely. I’m hoping it’s not an indication of something worse to come.
same here at 8k miles. Everything is smooth once its up to operating temperature

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
3k miles TRD Off road
Bulit 3/24.... I've noticed 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd can be a little "clunky" especially in the mornings... Everything else is pretty smooth... Also shifting from Park to drive/reverse is nice and easy... Just gets a little jump from 2nd-3rd every so often... Think it's normal
Especially when accelerating slowly

Sponsored

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
My failed transmission & torque converter - was smooth until it failed while traveling cross country. Did notice some hard shifts here and there both at speed and low speed but nothing that was concerning until the failure.

Build date 4/13 (may be off by a few days), built in the Tijuana factory. Model TRD OR Premium short bed with automatic transmission.

Xencer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4X4
With talk of these failed automatic transmissions and much confusion amongst the internet im really curious to hear how everyone’s transmission behaves. Describe your expierence, are your shifts always really smooth, are they always really hard, sometimes hard shifting, do you find the transmission to occasionally be clunky? If you have had your transmission fail please give detailed information on the symptoms leading up to the failure and the failure itself. Mileage and manufacturing date would be helpful as well to gaining a better understanding of what’s going on. I’ll start by saying my truck was built March of 2024, after 650 miles I have most of the time gotten a 1-2 “hard” shift first thing in the morning, and occasionally a rougher shift here and there while driving, most of the time the trans is smooth but in traffic I do find it to be occasionally a little “clunky” . Thanks for those who respond and participate
I do get kind of a hard shift only once first thing in the morning. Otherwise its really smooth and the power delivery is good. I can't feel the transmission shift majority of the time.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
It seems the majority have reported some rough shifts here and there. All that describe it sounds very similar to my truck. Once it’s warmed up completely it’s much smoother.

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
Off road Hybrid, she likes to warm up in the morning or I get a hard 1-2 shift once she gets some heat in here not bad at all. Some hard shifts here and there nothing crazy. I play in sport mode manual mode and have gotten on it a few times to over pass ppl and dink around. I have 3500 miles on truck was built in May. Absolutely love the truck.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Off road Hybrid, she likes to warm up in the morning or I get a hard 1-2 shift once she gets some heat in here not bad at all. Some hard shifts here and there nothing crazy. I play in sport mode manual mode and have gotten on it a few times to over pass ppl and dink around. I have 3500 miles on truck was built in May. Absolutely love the truck.
Yup that seems to be the consensus sometimes get some hard or weird shifts. Mine likes to warm up first too.

Sponsored

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
Yup that seems to be the consensus sometimes get some hard or weird shifts. Mine likes to warm up first too.

Makes me feel betr most ppl have the hard shift. Still hoping it goes away in another few thousand miles. Also being the hybrid I really haven't thought about it that much. I think at my 5k service I'm going to politely request a full transmission flush just to check everything. I know I'll get push back but IDC honestly.

Duce95

First Name
Big Deezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Offroad
Mine also hangs on to gears in the morning. After that initial hang up it is smooth.

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP
Off-road premium with 4k miles. Smooth. I always let it idle about 1-2 minutes before I back out of my garage. Built in January but wasn’t delivered until mid-May. Guessing it was getting several QC holds while also waiting for the sway bar disconnect.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Maybe I’m lucky but I haven’t noticed anything. Mine’s like butter.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Could you please describe the shifting, month of manufacturing etc. honestly trying to gather some data and put it together
Mine got got to upper midwest dealer in a few days arriving July 17. It should have 2000 miles today. With a proper break in I've had no problems. What some describe as hard shifts to me seem like other modern 8-10 speed transmissions I've tried.

I drive in ECO mode often and the middle setting when loaded, hauling or busy traffic. For a freeway climb nearer our cabin it makes a fast but smooth downshift holding 70-75 MPH absolutely flying by or moving with ease against others. IMO it's just a faster shifting transmission than our V6 with 6 speed Toyota.

I'm not an offroad hobbyist or overlander but do MTB and ski trail work so bits of offroad driving. It's fine there too.

If I have any complaints, they're not about the drivetrain. Dashboard Bluetooth is flaky against other vehicles I use. Paint and body assembly are not as good as our 1999 - 2015 Toyotas, not as good as our other Japanese and German brands. It's a truck, I use it that way, so can't get upset about details that bother some here.
Sponsored