Sponsored

Digital Key won't start car unless Toyota app open in foreground?

andrewleader

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road 5' Automatic with Stabilizer Dsconnect
Hey folks, has anyone managed to use the digital key with their iPhone without having to open their phone and launch the Toyota app?

I've been able to unlock/lock the car by touching the door handle with the phone in my pocket, but pressing the ignition doesn't work UNLESS I open my phone and open the Toyota app. With the Toyota app open and the screen open, pressing the ignition works.

Curious if this is how other ppl's behave? I assume Android might behave differently, so mostly curious in people's experiences with iPhones.
Sponsored

nyydynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
yeah, the digital key is a very hit or miss experience for me. Sometimes, it wont even unlock the door unless I open the app (I assume it's because the app was killed by the OS so it's not running in the background anymore). Even if I can get into the car, it wont start unless I put the phone up to the push start button.

I pretty much never use it unless I really need to.

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
I had to open app to use key as well. Problem is, once you open the app it maintains that Bluetooth connection or tries to and kills your phone battery. I have to kill the app to stop that. I’m guessing it’s probably designed this way….dont see it being something I’ll really use much

sparkytaco

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
Exactly. The app sucks. I went back to the key fob and my phone battery is happy and I am no longer frustrated. Great idea, but poor execution by Toyota.

Flyfish007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I use the wallet key and it works perfect. I'll use the app for remote start etc.
Sponsored