Engine Debris -- Oil change @ 1000 miles results

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I'm a new 2024 Tacoma owner thought I'd share the results of the 1st Oil change @ 1011 miles I performed today. What your viewing is engine debris left in the pan after draining into my oil container. I'm chosing to change oil early, and often with this engine to prolong its life as much as possible.

Sharing as a FYI in case you've been debating on changing early vs waiting until the 10K mark...

2024 Tacoma Engine Debris -- Oil change @ 1000 miles results IMG_4280
Sponsored

CanyonFisherSummitSeeker

First Name
Chapman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Hi LincolnSixAlpha,
I really appreciate you posting this. Iā€™m also a new 2024 Tacoma owner (this is my first post here). I have been debating on whether or not to change early. Of course every Toyota dealership Iā€™ve called said it isnā€™t necessary but after seeing this Iā€™m going to go ahead and change the oil early myself. Iā€™ll let Toyota take care of the regular scheduled maintenance for the first couple years but will plan on doing this when I get back from a trip to the coast next week. Heck maybe Iā€™ll go ahead and do it before I leave on Friday. Iā€™m currently at ~650 miles and will likely be around 1,000-1,200 miles by the time I get back.

10,000 miles seems crazy to me for the first oil change. Thanks again!

Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Not to completely derail this thread, but does anybody have any solid info on the Toyota care plans?

I've heard mixed info stating that they'll only do the oil change twice (the 10,000 mile interval) equivalents, and then that they'll take care of it for the solid 2 years, no matter how many times you take it in. I had mine done at 878 miles, but I'm curious as to how they qualify/quantify oil changes.

lb272

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 OR MT
Did mine at about 1,000 mi. Nothing on the plug (it has a magnet, right?) but my pan is so filthy I wouldn't be able to tell. You guys and your clean drain pans....:)

OP
OP
LincolnSixAlpha

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
So a few follow-up comments, my pan was clean before starting, so no cross-contamination from anything else. The material left in the pan is quite small, the photo is a macro shot -- so zoomed in to keep things in perspective. To anothers comment, there's no magnet on the drain plug, and besides that aluminum (shavings from the manufacturing process) are not a ferrous metal, and thus not going to be attracted to a magnet, of course. The same goes for copper, which would be used on the bearings, of course. However I'm not sure if these are tri-metal bearings in this engine, but nonetheless -- copper is there so obviously from the bearing material.

One additional comment, the filter from the oil filter was also dumped into the same container, so it's quite possible the bulk of this junk came into the pan when taking the filter off. In hindsight, I should have checked the oil before dropping the filter.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share for the purposes of just that. I will change the oil again @ 2K, and keep tabs on the engine.

As for sealant, I'd be more than willing to bet that it would show up on an oil analysis as the silica content is usually higher on those early oil changes with the excess RTV getting pulled into the oil flow.

But I do agree with your comments, 10K oil changes are not for me. I'm good with 5K, and stick with that, but again I want this truck to last so I'll do the first few extra early just to make sure I get it good and cleaned out.

As for the 2 year dealer maintenance, what I googled was that in effect you really only get two oil changes and that's it. 10, and 20k, and then you're on your own. I'm still on the fence on if I want to take it in.

I decided to go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 since it's a good oil that's ILSAC GF-6 certified, so perfect for this engine. Beyond that they have a nice engine warranty I'll be registering for. As I've strictly used Amsoil in the past, I'm switching for convenience and money savings. And again that warranty is what I'm after. More here if your are interested in researching: warranty.html

OP
OP
LincolnSixAlpha

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Just for the sake of my curiosity, I'm going to pick up an oil filter cutting tool and split the filter as I'd like to inspect the filter material. I'll share in a few days once I get the tool.

Sponsored

Fiigtaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR
I did my first change at 500, didnt have anything like that thankfully. Will do it again at 1500 then 5,10,15. Etc.

Penn UP 5w30

lb272

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 OR MT
OP thanks for the good info. I'm stuck in the 80's - I just assumed all drain plugs are still magnetized. Also I didn't mean the clean drainpan thing as a dig - that was me being jealous. I'm lazy and cheap so have 20 years worth of old oil residue and brake dust in mine.

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
So a few follow-up comments, my pan was clean before starting, so no cross-contamination from anything else. The material left in the pan is quite small, the photo is a macro shot -- so zoomed in to keep things in perspective. To anothers comment, there's no magnet on the drain plug, and besides that aluminum (shavings from the manufacturing process) are not a ferrous metal, and thus not going to be attracted to a magnet, of course. The same goes for copper, which would be used on the bearings, of course. However I'm not sure if these are tri-metal bearings in this engine, but nonetheless -- copper is there so obviously from the bearing material.

One additional comment, the filter from the oil filter was also dumped into the same container, so it's quite possible the bulk of this junk came into the pan when taking the filter off. In hindsight, I should have checked the oil before dropping the filter.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share for the purposes of just that. I will change the oil again @ 2K, and keep tabs on the engine.

As for sealant, I'd be more than willing to bet that it would show up on an oil analysis as the silica content is usually higher on those early oil changes with the excess RTV getting pulled into the oil flow.

But I do agree with your comments, 10K oil changes are not for me. I'm good with 5K, and stick with that, but again I want this truck to last so I'll do the first few extra early just to make sure I get it good and cleaned out.

As for the 2 year dealer maintenance, what I googled was that in effect you really only get two oil changes and that's it. 10, and 20k, and then you're on your own. I'm still on the fence on if I want to take it in.

I decided to go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 since it's a good oil that's ILSAC GF-6 certified, so perfect for this engine. Beyond that they have a nice engine warranty I'll be registering for. As I've strictly used Amsoil in the past, I'm switching for convenience and money savings. And again that warranty is what I'm after. More here if your are interested in researching: warranty.html
The Toyota OEM oils, while still meeting the same spec, are structured quite a bit differently than any other off the shelf oil. It may be beneficial to use the Toyota stuff for the first 5 to 10,000. Not for the warranty work, but some theoretical longevity benefits because of the additives.

M40A1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD
I'm a new 2024 Tacoma owner thought I'd share the results of the 1st Oil change @ 1011 miles I performed today. What your viewing is engine debris left in the pan after draining into my oil container. I'm chosing to change oil early, and often with this engine to prolong its life as much as possible.

Sharing as a FYI in case you've been debating on changing early vs waiting until the 10K mark...

IMG_4280.jpeg
Is this picture from inside your oil pan? if so, how did you capture it?
Sponsored