Pretty sure my 2nd transmission is going to fail

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
I created this account in 2023, before these were even released and disappointed everyone. I did my own research by actually test driving the vehicles and speaking to Toyota representative about potential changes/fixes/ updates. I'm hopeful some of these things are addressed in 2025, so I try to keep myself informed. I'm sorry that me having an different but informed and educated opinion seems to threatening to you, but thankfully I don't have to be you.
Start a thread about your concerns about purchasing. This is a 24 owners thread about a personal issue.
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
the 4th gen definitely didn't disappoint everyone, because I have been waiting months for mine.

Some people get their jollies by trolling people who love something. I think that they just need to get a freaking life.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter LB, Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
I created this account in 2023, before these were even released and disappointed everyone. I did my own research by actually test driving the vehicles and speaking to Toyota representative about potential changes/fixes/ updates. I'm hopeful some of these things are addressed in 2025, so I try to keep myself informed. I'm sorry that me having an different but informed and educated opinion seems to threatening to you, but thankfully I don't have to be you.
Sure man. A year ago I was considering a Canyon, so I joined a forum. I eventually decided it was not the truck for me. I can’t imagine going back to that forum now and dumping on Canyons. But please continue to keep us educated and informed based on your vast experience that consists of < check notes > a few test drives.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Not everyone is dissappointed.

I’m going on record that my truck is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Period.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I'm getting a little tired of hearing how great the mid-sized truck market is right now. If you want a truck that has updated technology and is reliable (certainly not unreasonable goals) what are you supposed to buy?
A bus pass?

Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4

Period.
If anyone remembers the GMC cyclone turbo truck from the 90s then you know what my dream vehicle was in high school. I was kinda just wanting a MT lil truck but now after driving a few thousand miles this turbo has made my dreams come true. Toyota will take care of us even if it’s a model wide recall for something. I have total confidence and would encourage any owners having problems to keep a positive mental outlook in regard's to their truck.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
There's a few variations on the term "reliability". One variation is design defects. Another is manufacturing defects. Yet a third is the use of less expensive materials and assembly techniques which age poorly and require replacement with time.

Toyota excels at the first and third types of reliability. When I hear "Toyota Reliability" it means (to me) a confidence that the design and materials will last considerably longer than other brands.

Every manufacturer relies on third parties for certain subassemblies. This is where a warranty becomes important to solve the 2nd type of reliability, manufacturing defects. So far, most "issues" with the 4G Taco are in this second category. Personally, this doesn't bother me a bit. Toyota will make those right, and we can enjoy a great truck with confidence it will last a very long time.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Good analysis @diablo2112. Toyota normally excels in regard to manufacturing defects too in my experience. But they have had some serious setbacks in that area recently, which has hurt their reputation more than I think is deserved. The transmission failures are due to bad manufacturing on Aisin's part, but Toyota in the end gets the bad press.

But as you said, Toyota will make it right and although some of us may be inconvenienced with downtime, we will end up with long lasting, durable trucks. My Tundra is almost 14 years old with just a single but major brake repair. Otherwise it was just routine maintenance and drive that beast.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Got my trd off road auto around may/June timeframe. Had new transmission put in around 2700 miles. Now I’m around 6900 miles and this 2nd transmission just got stuck in 2nd gear. Shut the truck off and turned back on and it had a couple rough shifts but it has went thru all the gears. It’s doing what the 1st trans did before it failed. So I guess it’s back to the dealership.
What did the dealership say??

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
There's a few variations on the term "reliability". One variation is design defects. Another is manufacturing defects. Yet a third is the use of less expensive materials and assembly techniques which age poorly and require replacement with time.

Toyota excels at the first and third types of reliability. When I hear "Toyota Reliability" it means (to me) a confidence that the design and materials will last considerably longer than other brands.

Every manufacturer relies on third parties for certain subassemblies. This is where a warranty becomes important to solve the 2nd type of reliability, manufacturing defects. So far, most "issues" with the 4G Taco are in this second category. Personally, this doesn't bother me a bit. Toyota will make those right, and we can enjoy a great truck with confidence it will last a very long time.
Thanks for a great explanation! It makes sense to me. I was trying to figure out how I’m not as satisfied with my cars as I used to be & wondered if something better might be found in a Toyota. Yet my current car is certainly reliable at least as I know it (the 2nd type). But it’s entirely possible that some of the things I’m experiencing that seem lacking are more the 1st & 3rd types which I hadn’t considered before. Baked in cheapness isn’t really something that can be solved by a warranty.

Sponsored

Forest Moon

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 OR Supersonic Red MT

Period.
Yep I couldn't be happier with this truck. Although my '03 SR5 was my favorite vehicle ever, the current truck is a close second. I think it's more to do with the fact that I was a younger man back then and did a lot more "truck things" with that vehicle.

Pdlhappy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR% 4dr 4x4, 2003 4Runner SR5 4x4
Got my trd off road auto around may/June timeframe. Had new transmission put in around 2700 miles. Now I’m around 6900 miles and this 2nd transmission just got stuck in 2nd gear. Shut the truck off and turned back on and it had a couple rough shifts but it has went thru all the gears. It’s doing what the 1st trans did before it failed. So I guess it’s back to the dealership.
Trans and Torque Converter replaced @ 989 miles. I have just surpassed 1K miles post replacement and all shift scenarios appear fantastic with no issues. Wishing everyone else the same positive results but will keep you posted if anything else surfaces.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
I'm loving my TRD Pro so far, but I only have about 400 miles on it. Keeping a close eye on this thread to know what to lookout for in case this problem pops up with mine. That being said, I'm confident Toyota would do right considering everything is under warranty.

OP
OP

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Trans and Torque Converter replaced @ 989 miles. I have just surpassed 1K miles post replacement and all shift scenarios appear fantastic with no issues. Wishing everyone else the same positive results but will keep you posted if anything else surfaces.
Mine was nice for like 6000