Sponsored

Rough transmission shifts

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
I think there is a lot of paranoia about the transmissions. I'm at 9k miles and mine is super smooth. I will say it took a few thousand miles for mine to learn my driving habits but all is good now.

From what I’ve seen on the forums it seems that when the transmissions fail they do it relatively early on within the first few thousand miles. I’m on my 3rd Tacoma now and I’ve always had positive experiences with Toyota when problems arise. My advice is to just drive your trucks and when something goes wrong have faith in Toyota to resolve the problem, no reason to stress about something that could potentially go wrong.
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@Burgi I totally agree. I have only had a few problems with my Toyotas but every time I did they took care of me too.

My truck is almost here and I plan to just drive it and enjoy it and then deal with issues if the come up.

CanyonFisherSummitSeeker

First Name
Chapman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Almost every truck I've owned has some stiff 1-2-3 shifts first thing after a cold start. My 24 RAM 2500 did the same as did my 21 Tundra, 23 Tundra and so does my 05 Tundra and 06 Silverado. It takes a longggg time for the transmission to warm up compared to the engine. I wouldn't worry about it or waste your time at the dealer, they'll just say they didn't find anything.
I have to say it is more nuanced than that.

PA Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR
I’m having occasional rough shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 in the mornings or after the truck has been sitting a while. Once I’ve cycled through once it generally shifts very smoothly the rest of the drive.
I have taken the time to let the truck warm up, and it will still sometimes rough shift. I’ve also started it and driven without giving a few minutes to idle and warm up and it will sometimes shift smoothly even when not warmed up.
So I don’t really know what to think. Coming up on 4K miles. I’ll definitely bring it up with my 5k service but I fear unless they let the car sit overnight and drive it first thing in the AM they won’t experience the rough shifts. Disconcerting to say the least.
I have the same issue. That said, it should not do this. Good news for me is I kept my 2005 that has 235,000 miles and it has been totally reliable. The guys at the Service Dept want to buy it. Thing is Toyota's reputation is on the line.

Sponsored

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
Can someone describe what they mean by rough shifts?
Coming from manual transmissions I would describe it as the rpm's hang during the shift and the clutch is let out a bit fast causing a slight bump feeling.

Not sure if that makes sense.

frosty4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Coming from manual transmissions I would describe it as the rpm's hang during the shift and the clutch is let out a bit fast causing a slight bump feeling.

Not sure if that makes sense.
Ah okay thanks! I was wondering if it was shifter feedback where it doesn’t feel like it goes into a specific gear smoothly. Sometimes happens to me on 2 -> 3 but not a big issue.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I still have the jerkiness in the morning going from park to reverse or drive. Trans is pretty smooth after that. 6k and no issues really.

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP
Sorry I guess my comment was incorrect. I can manually put it into 1 and 2, but when first putting it into manual mode it always reports 3. I don't feel any engagement when stopped, but it's bad when moving, even slowly. I'll see if I can find a safe place to grab a video after I pick it up from the dealer.
That’s normal for it to start in S3. Says it will right in the owners manual. Go to the manual shifting section of the manual.
Sponsored

Last edited: