GRKTRD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma
He's just a whiner.
not really ive been drving these trucks for 12 years now between gen 2 and 3 loved both. This one is the best for sure. But if I was to do it again id of gone ranger raptor. There is zero argument these are going to be anywhere near as reliable. Simply no proven argument here. Its a Toyota is rapdily entering a thing of the passed. I planned on keeping this truck 3-4 years and then rotating again will probably be not be the case. Doors rattle when i turn my music all the way up sounds like ass. JBL speaker rattles in its pocket. People hoods on new pro look like they are going to fall off. Trans nuking. Shocks exploding in broad driving. my CEL came on at 980 miles due to that stupid shutter system. Still not fixed because I dont need my truck sitting forever at a dealer service almost due anyways. What else is there to say really. Id of kept my gen 3 and put a blower on it if I knew better. Pros I think drives great other wise power is fine. My V10 plus car is my speed car if I want to actually do something. Rides very smooth and I enjoy the seating position/ power steering and overall cabin.
Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
not really ive been drving these trucks for 12 years now between gen 2 and 3 loved both. This one is the best for sure. But if I was to do it again id of gone ranger raptor. There is zero argument these are going to be anywhere near as reliable. Simply no proven argument here. Its a Toyota is rapdily entering a thing of the passed. I planned on keeping this truck 3-4 years and then rotating again will probably be not be the case. Doors rattle when i turn my music all the way up sounds like ass. JBL speaker rattles in its pocket. People hoods on new pro look like they are going to fall off. Trans nuking. Shocks exploding in broad driving. my CEL came on at 980 miles due to that stupid shutter system. Still not fixed because I dont need my truck sitting forever at a dealer service almost due anyways. What else is there to say really. Id of kept my gen 3 and put a blower on it if I knew better. Pros I think drives great other wise power is fine. My V10 plus car is my speed car if I want to actually do something. Rides very smooth and I enjoy the seating position/ power steering and overall cabin.
You do realize that these issues will be fixed with technical service bulletins right? This is a completely new truck from Toyota after 20 years of the same tacoma. There’s gonna be kinks to work out, when the gen 2 and 3 came out there were tons of issues as well. If you think going to ford is an upgrade or grass is greener thinking your sadly mistaken.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
If you think going to ford is an upgrade or grass is greener thinking your sadly mistaken.
I understand why you are unhappy @MT-Taco and I think the Ranger Raptor is a really nice truck, and amazing off road. But it would be a surprise if it doesn't end up having problems of its own.

Just last quarter Ford lost $2.3 billion on warranty repairs, which is a published fact! So last quarter, on average, Ford lost over $35 million dollars a day fixing warranty issues. Ford's CEO has said multiple times that if they can't get warranty costs under control they will go out of business.

So yeah - there are more problems than normal from Toyota, but they are not losing that kind of coin at the moment. Not sure what the reasons are, but there are lots of problems with all new cars and trucks right now, not just Toyota.

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
You do realize that these issues will be fixed with technical service bulletins right? This is a completely new truck from Toyota after 20 years of the same tacoma. There’s gonna be kinks to work out, when the gen 2 and 3 came out there were tons of issues as well. If you think going to ford is an upgrade or grass is greener thinking your sadly mistaken.
Some of these issues may not be fixed because they are only occurring on a tiny number of trucks. I wonder what people are thinking. Do people think Toyota/Bilstein didn't test these shocks? Do they think they didn't hit the bump stops hard over thousands or millions of cycles in testing. Do you think a shock that regularly fails hitting a minor bump on a flat road wouldn't have been detected by a manufacturer with Bilstein's reputation? People talk like they are experts that know more than the Bilstein engineers. If it's truly a major design flaw that somehow got by engineers, it will be addressed. If it's just a production flaw in a small number of units, then it probably won't and we just have to hope those units fail early while still under warranty.

Sponsored

GRKTRD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma
My 2016 Tacoma was year one didnt even have a quarter of these issues when came out. Only issue they really had was cam shaft position sensor. I put almost 90K worry free miles on my "year one" 6 years later. Only oil it got / brakes / fluid changes at 50k / Filters and thats it. Not a single CEL id of kept it and put a blower on it like I said. My R8 is a year one car at 2017. Granted has only 14k on it but feels like a brick to me. These cars are well documented like the Huracans as best rentals. Seen them go 100k miles beat to shit. This truck doesnt feel confident inspiring to me but to each their own. Didnt see the Gen 3 trucks hit quality control lots. There was a problem from get go. Sure I get the year one argument. Either way to me I do still like the truck but don't love the truck and I have no attachment to it emotionally or the urge to run the kings camburg blah blah kit like I did on my last truck. Only truck Ive ever put a 1.5 inch puck on for my first time and said. This will do until I feel actually confident in it.

Last edited:

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Every day I come here I just see more and more failures. These have just been kinda a dumpster fire to be honest. Only thing I enjoy I about mine at this point is the way it drives with a prayer every day it doesnt break
Starting digging a hole.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Digging deeper the hole is bigger

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2016 Tacoma was year one didnt even have a quarter of these issues when came out. Only issue they really had was cam shaft position sensor. I put almost 90K worry free miles on my "year one" 6 years later. Only oil it got / brakes / fluid changes at 50k / Filters and thats it. Not a single CEL id of kept it and put a blower on it like I said. My R8 is a year one car at 2017. Granted has only 14k on it but feels like a brick to me. These cars are well documented like the Huracans as best rentals. Seen them go 100k miles beat to shit. This truck doesnt feel confident inspiring to me but to each their own. Didnt see the Gen 3 trucks hit quality control lots. There was a problem from get go. Sure I get the year one argument. Either way to me I do still like the truck but don't love the truck and I have no attachment to it emotionally or the urge to run the kings camburg blah blah kit like I did on my last truck. Only truck Ive ever put a 1.5 inch puck on for my first time and said. This will do until I feel actually confident in it.
Still digging and now it looks like a cave in!

Sponsored

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
The Gen 3 was not really a whole new generation. I consider it a Gen 2.5, with the automatic hunting for gears and same uncomfortable seating position as the Gen 2. I’d hope it had no major teething issues.
The Gen 4 is all new and some of the teething issues seem unlike Toyota. You’d think they’d have engineered and tested them 10 ways to Sunday.
But I guess it’s just a car or truck, prone to failure. There was a time when you’d say it’s a Toyota, today that doesn’t say as much. Mind you the cars were simpler and less electronics and gizmos to fail back then.

Flyfish007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Explorer St
Im amazed people thought there would be no issues....

tacogarage

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd and 2nd Gen Taco
My 2024 Tacoma shock completely went through the top and was hitting the inside of my wheel well! Now I’m just waiting to see how backed up parts may be.

IMG_0966.jpeg
Any update on eta from Toyota on parts?