Sponsored

Speculation on future performance upgrades?

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I haven't driven the new Taco yet and reviews of the power delivery are positive, so I'm not at all trying to complain about the stock config.

Turbo engines are typically easier to squeeze out performance gains, even without having to swap out injectors and such. I suspect the engine has already been detuned somewhat to meet emissions (especially the 6M and its "crankshaft hammering" which resulted in it's moderate hp/torque reduction). Also, Toyota has traditionally over-engineered their engines and drivetrains for strength and durability, so there may be room for reliable improvements.

Anyone care to speculate on what the aftermarket will come out with for tuning? 300 ponies and 350 torques doesn't seem outlandish with just a simple programming change.
Sponsored

Fiigtaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR
Burger Tuning is working on a JB4. The Lexus NX(2.4T) tune gets ~+50 hp/tq, so i would expect something in the same ball park. Their tundra tune is +75hp

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)

Fiigtaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR
what do you think the chances this will work for the Tacoma šŸ˜… Also, do you k is if these programmers will void the warranty, or if you are able to flash the ecu prior to having to take it into the dealership for service?

https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-tuner-for-toyota-highlander
I've never used a JB4 but from what i've read it doesn't affect the ECU since its a stand alone unit down line from the ECU, but I'd also take that with a grain a salt and let someone else experiment with it.

Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
I really do wonder if you can just disconnect this and revert back to stock? That would be great if you had a problem and needed to take your truck to dealership for warranty. You could limp it in and say I donā€™t know it just started making a funny noise or something. Also hearing about the ā€œbogā€ icon suspension felt makes me think about my tire choices. Thanks for sharing was anticipating these mods to become available. Curious to see results and disconnects or flash back to stock ecu options.

MERAKIAUTOWORKS

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Generally these piggy back tunes are pretty simple to remove and be unseen. Unless the dealer really gets into the details and sees that the boost is out of range, timing, and all that but usually not..

-Josh

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Generally these piggy back tunes are pretty simple to remove and be unseen. Unless the dealer really gets into the details and sees that the boost is out of range, timing, and all that but usually not..

-Josh
Audi was flagging TD1 for many modded supercharged v6 engines due to the torque log reporting above stock power output. I would be curious if Toyotaā€™s ecu, I think made by Denso, does the sameā€¦

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
I for one wouldnā€™t mind a true eco-mode tune. I hear the modes are undistinguishable from early owner reviews. Will get a good look at this in 1-2 weeks when I take delivery

SpeedDevil

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Intercooler/charge pipes
Downpipe
Intake
Throttle body
Ported manifolds
Catbacks
Bov and wastegate actuators
Spark plugs
What would we be looking at with all that and a tune that accounts for it all?

at this rate, new clutches will be needed

Duck Amuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road/17 MINI Cooper Clubman S
I've had a JB4 in my MINI Cooper for years with no issues. You can turn it off/change maps anytime, and to remove it completely is maybe a 30 minute job, depending how well you hide the wiring when you put it in.

I'd have no qualms about running one in the Tacoma. Not sure I will, but that's because I don't feel the need for more power in a pickup truck. But, that might change given time.....
Sponsored