Sponsored

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter LB, Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
I’m 6’4” and finally got to sit in a Tacoma yesterday. Took me a while to get the front seat dialed in. Then I tried “sitting behind myself”… it must have looked pretty funny. Back seat is very small. Fortunately I rarely use the back.

I also sat in a Tundra and was surprised how it felt Goldilocks sized. I thought it would feel too big. Now I’m a little torn. Still leaning Tacoma. My wife is urging me to spend a little more and get the Tundra.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Toyota is a smart company who has done market studies and built customer profiles. Tacoma customers aren't using these for family wagons, and Toyota isn't going to cater to that crowd.

How many times have you seen a Tacoma roll up some place and an entire family gets out of it. You don't, ever.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
As everyone has said, it's a mid-size. There are reasons they are the size they are. My kids are grown and all I have to worry about right now are small children (grandkids) so it'll be fine. That being said, when my kids were still kids they would've had to suck it up. When I was a kid, my dad had Celicas. No backseat room in those and two door cars on top of that. I managed. Of course, then nobody cared if their kids were comfortable or not.

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR - Silver
Toyota is a smart company who has done market studies and built customer profiles. Tacoma customers aren't using these for family wagons, and Toyota isn't going to cater to that crowd.

How many times have you seen a Tacoma roll up some place and an entire family gets out of it. You don't, ever.
Yep, very well put.

Sponsored

Tikkaman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger FX4 Off Road
In 2003 I wanted a Tacoma but the driver's space was much smaller than my Ranger and the kids couldn't fit in the back seats. The Ranger worked for the kids back then because they faced each other. After they grew up and moved on I removed the seats and built a nice storage box. I would have paid extra for the new Tacoma to have no seats in the back and a secure storage box instead. I'll see if that is doable when I get my truck. I'm afraid if the back seats get any bigger on these mid size trucks they will start coming with 4 foot beds.:(

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I always say:

If you talk fuel economy, get a Corolla...

If you want rear space for humans, get a Sienna...

If you want to pull a big trailer or haul really heavy stuff, get a Tundra...

The Tacoma has 3 great things going for it:

It is a lifestyle vehicle...

It can do light duty work like pull a small trailer, haul stuff...

It can off-road and kick some a$$...

End of discussion.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
As everyone has said, it's a mid-size. There are reasons they are the size they are. My kids are grown and all I have to worry about right now are small children (grandkids) so it'll be fine. That being said, when my kids were still kids they would've had to suck it up. When I was a kid, my dad had Celicas. No backseat room in those and two door cars on top of that. I managed. Of course, then nobody cared if their kids were comfortable or not.
I’m in the same boat as you. I’m through my kid hauling phase and downsized to the tacoma. 90% of my driving is just me. %9 me and the gf and %1 one of my kids also in the back seat. I’ve sat in the back behind the passenger and it’s not bad.

Bottom line this is a me truck. If you don’t like it walk or take the bus.

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
A few thoughts here.

First, it definitely could be better, 100%.
Second, hoping for a comfortable back seat experience in a mid size is kind of silly.
Third, I’m 6’1 and adjusted my driving seat to a comfortable spot and sat in the back and honestly… I think everyone makes it sound so much worse than it really is. But that’s my experience and perspective. If you want a truck to seat 4 comfortably or be a family vehicle, go full size.
I personally feel like I could work with the back seat just fine.
100% Agree with this.

Finally picked up my TRD OR Premium yesterday, 370 miles from home. One of my biggest concerns was the back seat legroom.

I’m 5’ 10”, wife is 5’ 9”, and my 16 year old son is 5’ 9” athletic build. Drivers seat was adjusted for me and perfected on the 6 hour drive. Very comfortable trip. When convincing my wife the truck would work for us, I reminded her that 99% of the time it would only be her and I in the truck. Of course my son has other ideas, envisioning him and his buddies packed in there.

All 3 of us could sit comfortably behind drivers seat adjusted for my position. On the passenger side, I adjusted the seat further forward, but comfortable seating position. In this position, there was much greater rear legroom on passenger side. I did not witness this, but my son claims his 6’ 3” buddy was able to sit back there and commented that it wasn’t bad. Keep in mind, these are 16 year old athletic kids.

Would I want to be in the backseat for 6 hour trip, no, but we could make it work if necessary Could we make short trips comfortably, absolutely.

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco OR Premium
Get what you feel you need. If you need rear seat leg room, buy a full size truck. The only mid-size truck with descent legroom in the back is the Honda Ridgeline.

Sponsored

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Get what you feel you need. If you need rear seat leg room, buy a full size truck. The only mid-size truck with descent legroom in the back is the Honda Ridgeline.
AKA "Pilot with an open cargo area".

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Agree with all said! My kids now have their own vehicles and while I drive alone most of the time it will accommodate 4 adults for a run to the airport or a family dinner.

That said I do wish Toyota would put rear air vents in. My pup rides back there and it gets pretty hot in Texas!

Last edited:

drabon74

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4-Runner
I sat in one yesterday. 5ft 10, adjusted the seat where I would want it then jumped in the back. Room was ok, not great not terrible either. For my 5ft 5 wife she had more than enough room for any decent trip. Sat in the new Canyon also, seemed similar, BUT the taco had a bit more hip room up front which was a big deal for me. I pulled up the specs and confirmed there is a sizable difference in front hip room. If you want to be extra comfortable or just have room to sprawl in the rear, it’s unlikely any of the current midsize trucks(except the ridgeline) will make you happy.

RunDMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I know they wanted to keep it "garageable" but just two more inches in the back seat would've made a tremendous difference.
I just looked it up and the Tacoma is 213 inches long. Same length as the Colorado and 3 inches longer than the Ranger. Do those trucks really have more space in the back seat? I can't imagine they do.
Sponsored