Sponsored

Transmission Failures Keep Coming

Muckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Same thing. Transmission throws solenoid codes. That's the only way you're getting it replaced is if you have the codes showing.
Thanks. Last question - would there be any indication of a code being present on the dash (check engine light, etc.)? Or could that code be present without any indication?
Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Thanks. Last question - would there be any indication of a code being present on the dash (check engine light, etc.)? Or could that code be present without any indication?
If you have the complete trans failure you'll get a whole Christmas scene of lights & you'll be well aware that something has happened as the most common symptoms are that you have no gears below 6th. Until then you'll probably just get hard shifts and random jerks when it downshifts.

There's really nothing you can do until then except pay attention to it, and not really worry about it. This is being made into a bigger deal than it really is. The failure rate is exceptionally small compared to the number of vehicles sold.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
If you have the complete trans failure you'll get a whole Christmas scene of lights & you'll be well aware that something has happened as the most common symptoms are that you have no gears below 6th. Until then you'll probably just get hard shifts and random jerks when it downshifts.

There's really nothing you can do until then except pay attention to it, and not really worry about it. This is being made into a bigger deal than it really is. The failure rate is exceptionally small compared to the number of vehicles sold.
But the symptoms are not. They are very prevalent

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
But the symptoms are not. They are very prevalent
You're not taking into account that you're only seeing a very very small fraction of people on these forums reporting the issues. 99% of people without issues aren't on here nor would they have a reason to report issues because they don't have them.

The sky is only falling because you're seeking it out here.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I agree that the failure rate is probably extremely low, and that most 4th gen owners will never have this problem.

I don't agree that rough or harsh shifts in a Toyota product are normal. Poor shift quality is common when shift solenoids are not working correctly and they have preceded most 4th gen transmission failures.

I have owned a lot of Toyota cars and trucks, and none of them have ever shifted poorly. In fact most shifts in my Toyotas have been virtually undetectable.

@Gfenza89 is not seeking gloom and doom, he is justifiably concerned that because his truck does not shift properly it might die outright one of these days. I would not call that spreading FUD, but honestly trying to diagnose a problem.

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
You're not taking into account that you're only seeing a very very small fraction of people on these forums reporting the issues. 99% of people without issues aren't on here nor would they have a reason to report issues because they don't have them.

Yeah but you also have to take into account the thousands upon thousands of people that aren’t on forums or Facebook. No way of telling if those people are having issues, and the fact there’s been enough documented failures you can bet many of those min interested users could be having problems

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I just crossed 10K miles so I'm hoping no issues. No hard shifts yet. It does make you nervous. I was wondering around logging roads in the North Woods of Maine looking for Moose and it was in the back of my mind. I would've been in serious trouble if it had died out there.
Sponsored