Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Nope - only Toyota knows and they ain't talking.

But I think it is still a pretty small number, even if you are included in the TSB. If your truck is currently working fine I say drive it, enjoy it and worry about it if it breaks.

Jer8274

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Just a follow up question and please forgive me if it's already been answered, but does anyone outside of Toyota know what is causing these failures? If it's a design flaw, then I'm not sure how to feel about it. If it's an employee on the production line who didn't belong there, then I'd feel a little better even if I became unlucky enough to require a total replacement. I know that my 2013 Tacoma has a flaw that requires the transmission to be flushed around every 100k miles to correct a stopped up torque converter which causes vehicle shudder at low speeds when shifting. Really just hope it's not a design issue. Thanks for any information on the cause y'all might have. :)

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
This part has been known for a while, and it is not a design flaw. When Aisin cast the torque converter bodies some of them were not properly cleaned, leaving casting debris inside. That was picked up by the transmission fluid in the torque converter and migrated into the transmission. In the transmission it kills the shift solenoids, which is why they stop shifting into all of the gears.

So the design is fine, but Aisin dropped the quality control ball and that lead to the failures. Toyota keeps amazing records of their products during assembly and they have traced the transmissions which might have this problem back to those in the TSB.

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Just me hypothesizing, perhaps they can develop a fluid analysis for those affected to determine if a failure is more likely than not. Toyota transmission can't be flushed, it's a dump and fill procedure.

I certainly hope they do come up with a plan for those affected. It certainly would go a long way to restoring confidence in the company.

bresna

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Would it being difficult to shift out of park into reverse fall into "issues"? I'm not having problems with shifting but dropping it out of park when its sat overnight feels like its a little harder than it should be.
Try taking off the parking brake before shifting into D. It should stop the clunking. To shut it off, just press down on the parking switch. You should hear it disengage.

bresna

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Just me hypothesizing, perhaps they can develop a fluid analysis for those affected to determine if a failure is more likely than not. Toyota transmission can't be flushed, it's a dump and fill procedure.
Is there no pan they can drop? I'm surprised they are not doing anything proactively here. It seems to me that dropping the pan or even doing a "dump & fill" could potentially save them from the cost of a new transmission.

The fact that they are not doing this makes me wonder if they know that it won't help so if you have this problem, it's a "when" question & not an "if".

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Is there no pan they can drop? I'm surprised they are not doing anything proactively here. It seems to me that dropping the pan or even doing a "dump & fill" could potentially save them from the cost of a new transmission.

The fact that they are not doing this makes me wonder if they know that it won't help so if you have this problem, it's a "when" question & not an "if".
Yes, you can drop the pan and do a fluid change, but it has to be done from underneath the vehicle. Toyota considers it "lifetime" fluid, which is nonsense. That's why there is no dipstick or way to add fluid from above. If they are developing a procedure for the dealers, it needs to be validated and fully established before being released.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
A dump and fill might help but it might not. Toyota being conservative would probably prefer to just change out the affected transmissions and be done with it. If the percentage of failures gets very high they will do a recall like they did with the Tundra engines. If they don't it will mean that the think the odds are good for even the trucks in the VIN range.

I just got back from driving my truck and the shifts are so smooth they are hard to detect. If I had a truck in one of the TSB VIN ranges and it had any bad shifts I would take it to the dealer and start that process. I don't think that the dealers can fart you off with they all do that anymore.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
So you are only really covered by this if you have at least one stored code referenced in the TSB.

Any other shifting issues, such as harsh sifts are still up to the dealer to check into or ignore as they wish.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
So you are only really covered by this if you have at least one stored code referenced in the TSB.

Any other shifting issues, such as harsh sifts are still up to the dealer to check into or ignore as they wish.
Correct - that’s generally how TSB’s work. very specific criteria and anything else the line is “normal warranty conditions apply.“
Sponsored