Sponsored

What engine oil and oil filter? Oil change intervals?

OlafTheNork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Pro
I know what you mean. I guess this is a good discussion such there we're educating ourselves.

I'm going to visit the dealer parts dept and find out what the Toyota OEM 90915-YZZN1 filters cost per each at the dealer. Also if 90915-YZZF2 are equivalent as is indicated on the AMZ website link per below. That'll take a few days but I will report back. My best guess at this point is Toyota OEM is best, though Amsoil filter might otherwise be the best per that ChatGPT output. Sigh.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=toyota+o...yota+oil+filter+yzzn1,aps,98&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
For my Toyota vehicles, I always use OEM filters because:

1, I buy in bulk, and they are usually cheaper than third-party filters.
2. They're OEM.

I usually stay out of the never-ending debates about oil change intervals, oil types, etc. Here’s how I look at it:

1. If it meets the manufacturer's specs, you'll be good to go regardless of the label.
2. I've used everything from the cheapest to the most overpriced options. Not once have I ever had any issue—good or bad—that I attributed to the oil. And yes, I sometimes push it to 10K miles.
3. Change your oil and filter within the recommended intervals, and you should never have an issue.

Finally, manufacturers spend millions on engine design and have years of data to back up their recommendations. Yet, some guy on the internet says something different, and everyone wants to use him as the standard.
Sponsored