Sponsored

TRD Pro Hood Shake / Rattle

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
When he mentioned the suspension on setting 2.. I assumed that was the medium setting and he advised to put it on setting 1 for a better ride. Wouldn’t that be stiffer??
The 1 setting is softer. Hood has less shake, but it’s still there.

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_1708.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

sugammadex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD PRO

He talks about the hood rattle/shake towards the last 5 or so mins of the video

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I think they all will shake and I expect mine to do it too. First I want to see how much it bothers me before I pass judgement.

Then I plan to see if I can come up with a fix. I know the hood is aluminum but previous gen Tacos had steel hoods and were famous for shaking, since at least the 2nd gen.

Dealers have been telling customers that it is just a characteristic of Tacomas now for going on 20 years.

hand-filer

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2019 Lincoln Nautilus
Aluminium hood fellas
I currently own two vehicles with aluminum hoods. They don't shake. Not one bit. It's not the material, it's the design. Maybe Toyota wants you to feel like your driving a 1969 Mach 1 with the shaker hood scoop.

Sponsored

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I currently own two vehicles with aluminum hoods. They don't shake. Not one bit. It's not the material, it's the design. Maybe Toyota wants you to feel like your driving a 1969 Mach 1 with the shaker hood scoop.
[/QUOT
Thank you so much for the reply to my comment! But we’re not talking about your two other cars are we? Ta Co Ma

hand-filer

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2019 Lincoln Nautilus
You're blaming the problem on the material which is incorrect. It's a design issue. Sorry if the truth offends you.

NewtoToyota

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD Sport
I have a sport and notice some hood shake but it honestly doesn’t bother me since I’m not staring at the hood while I drive. That being said if someone finds a good way to make it not shake, I’m all for that.

TRD _Rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Camry TRD, 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I have zero hood shake on my OR. wonder if the pressure from the hood struts which are bolted to the hood help with this?

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Mine shakes. But I find it to be a first world problem

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@Goriders That is what I am expecting too. That there will be some movement in the metal, but that it won't be enough for me to worry about it. A first world problem, as you said.

@NewtoToyota @TRD _Rob In the 4th gen hood design the scoop seems to be the cause of the shaking. Interestingly in my 2nd gen the scoop stopped that and it was the only trim that didn't have shaking hood complaints.

@sugammadex That video has some video showing the shake. It looks like something that I can live with, because it isn't that bad. I will have to wait for my Pro to be delivered. He says it is because Toyota changed the seal at the back, which is wrong because the 2nd and 3rd gens both did this too with the different seal.

I also don't think that the aluminum hood is the cause, because this was already an issue with the steel hoods on earlier Tacomas.

Wutangz_Taco

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro Tacoma
I have zero hood shake on my OR. wonder if the pressure from the hood struts which are bolted to the hood help with this?
Interesting. I’d like to see some other confirmation of this from folks who’ve added struts. I will do this to mine if it sounds like that is stabilizing things.

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
@Goriders That is what I am expecting too. That there will be some movement in the metal, but that it won't be enough for me to worry about it. A first world problem, as you said.

@NewtoToyota @TRD _Rob In the 4th gen hood design the scoop seems to be the cause of the shaking. Interestingly in my 2nd gen the scoop stopped that and it was the only trim that didn't have shaking hood complaints.

@sugammadex That video has some video showing the shake. It looks like something that I can live with, because it isn't that bad. I will have to wait for my Pro to be delivered. He says it is because Toyota changed the seal at the back, which is wrong because the 2nd and 3rd gens both did this too with the different seal.

I also don't think that the aluminum hood is the cause, because this was already an issue with the steel hoods on earlier Tacomas.
I don’t recall ever remembering a hood shake on my 2nd gen or 3rd gen sports

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I don’t recall ever remembering a hood shake on my 2nd gen or 3rd gen sports
Right, the Sport was the one trim without that problem - I wasn't very clear - sorry.

The Sport was the only trim that never had those complaints in gens 2 and 3. My 2nd gen Sport didn't have any shaking. People assumed that the scoop stopped the shake that people reported in all the other trims.

Last edited:

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
Right, the Sport was the one trim without that problem - I wasn't very clear - sorry.

The Sport was the only trim that never had those complaints in gens 2 and 3. My 2nd gen Sport didn't have any shaking. People assumed that the scoop stopped the shake that people reported in all the other trims.
My 2022 outback looks like it’s going to fly off on the highway, but no so much on city roads, just seems to be common now a days
Sponsored