Sponsored

Looking to swap Trailhunter steel skids for UHMW plastic

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Looking for a plastic skid for the Trailhunter front engine - for winter driving. I don’t 4x4 trail in the winter where I live it’s all pavement & mountain driving. Snow chunks & gravel deflection is the game half the year. I considered swapping all skids to 5052 1/4” aluminum but I can’t square the price when I already have it kitted in steel. My TH is 6’ bed, so naturally I’m handicapping the extreme off-roading anyway due breakover angle. The goal is to shed some weight on this rig 6-8 months out of the year. How good is that powder coat on the TH steel skids…. Rock rails probably get pulled during the winter too, maybe add a step for the lady.

A smooth plastic, not the felt-like deflector stuff on the OR. Anyone know of any shops that would have this for the TH? It’s a weird ask, but shedding ~350lbs half the year is tempting. Would rather just leave the steel engine skid on than drive it naked but the rest of the trail kit can sit in the garage until spring
Sponsored

PotatoTRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd pro
I don’t know of anyone making UHMW skid plates at the moment, I have been trying to convince RCI to make some! But if I’m not mistaken the skids and sliders for the trailhunter are super lightweight and you might not be really achieving that much by removing them, if I remember right that front skid is only 26lbs and the trans is similar. You would maybe be saving ~120lbs at the most if you removed everything

PotatoTRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd pro
I mean I personally haven’t weighed them but I can almost guarantee they are not 100lbs each. My aftermarket RCI sliders are much more robust and heavy for slider standards and are around 70 lbs each

OP
OP
trailhunger

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
I mean I personally haven’t weighed them but I can almost guarantee they are not 100lbs each. My aftermarket RCI sliders are much more robust and heavy for slider standards and are around 70 lbs each
Yea wouldn’t surprise me they’re 60lbs and fellas haven’t lifted a 100lb dumbbell in years.

End of month when I have time I’ll remove one of these TH sliders and get it hooked up to the scale

Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Looking for a plastic skid for the Trailhunter front engine - for winter driving. I don’t 4x4 trail in the winter where I live it’s all pavement & mountain driving. Snow chunks & gravel deflection is the game half the year. I considered swapping all skids to 5052 1/4” aluminum but I can’t square the price when I already have it kitted in steel. My TH is 6’ bed, so naturally I’m handicapping the extreme off-roading anyway due breakover angle. The goal is to shed some weight on this rig 6-8 months out of the year. How good is that powder coat on the TH steel skids…. Rock rails probably get pulled during the winter too, maybe add a step for the lady.

A smooth plastic, not the felt-like deflector stuff on the OR. Anyone know of any shops that would have this for the TH? It’s a weird ask, but shedding ~350lbs half the year is tempting. Would rather just leave the steel engine skid on than drive it naked but the rest of the trail kit can sit in the garage until spring
OR has the Smooth plastic skids. I’ll be replacing mine when the budget allows? Not sure what models have the felt skids? But they are not on mine. My RCI sliders are 75lbs per side with top plates. I’d bet the Toyota sliders are around 60lbs..

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
Each rock slider is what ~100lbs? Or gross over exaggeration from people selling theirs?
I don't know about the stock ones but the ones from NYTOP are 74 lbs. each. The other aftermarket ones are similar (except for one maker that has aluminum ones).

hemlockz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD Offroad 6MT
Stock rails are 56 lbs each. So I’m not following, how does a steel skid plate have any effect on winter driving? Isn’t more weight better in snow?

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
My OR premium has felt like skids plates (if you can call them that in felt) I too would also like to see some in plastic, something stronger than the OE ones without having to spend a fortune on metal ones. I’m not doing rock climbing with the truck but would like something better than felt for the winter, I can see the OE ones deteriorating pretty quickly over a couple of winters. Years ago it’s what came on many Japanese 4X4’s, good quality plastic skid plates. I’d also love to see some cost effective plastic skid plates - yet to find any, hoping this post leads me to some. :)

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
I don't off-road, but I prefer the comfort of having a shield on the engine bay and transmission for road debris and grime.

The Limited Hybrid came with the crossbar but with the felt behind the air dam.

I've order both the forward and secondary plastic covers to swap things out.

Including a full bolt set (yeah, I know you know need 2-4 more, but when I order parts I order all the supporting fasteners as a CYA, just how I do things) plus the "whistle plugs" (I'll call them), it was under $250.

Screenshot_20241006-055409.jpg

OP
OP
trailhunger

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Isn’t more weight better in snow?

Traction better. Truck is plenty heavy already. Weight distribution/ evenly spread across all contact points.

I see Rivians in ditches. They’re heavy a f.
Sponsored