Explain it like I’m 5 - bump stops!

Wutangz_Taco

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro Tacoma
Why do people keep saying the Tacoma had no bump stops. Is this true? Is it true across trims? I have a Pro soon to be delivered and I do not believe this is true at this trim level. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
Why do people keep saying the Tacoma had no bump stops. Is this true? Is it true across trims? I have a Pro soon to be delivered and I do not believe this is true at this trim level. Thanks in advance!
Corrected with updated info Aug. 19:
The new Tacomas don’t have external bump stops mounted to the frame in the front. They are internal to the shock In the Off Road. The Pro has shock mounted external bump stops I believe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wutangz_Taco

Wutangz_Taco

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro Tacoma
The new Tacomas don’t have external bump stops mounted to the frame. They are internal to the shocks. I believe this to be true in all trims, but the Off Road and Pro for sure.
does this mean my new truck will fall apart when I drive it down our alley? /s

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
The new Tacomas don’t have external bump stops mounted to the frame. They are internal to the shocks. I believe this to be true in all trims, but the Off Road and Pro for sure.
This is only true for the front - the rear still has externally mounted bumpstops.

Sponsored

Tacomaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Highlander Hybrid
Correct (rear bump stop on the Off-Road model). The Bilstein front shocks have an internal bump stop. Not sure about the Foxes on the Pro though.
2024 Tacoma Explain it like I’m 5 - bump stops! 36CBB61D-CFEB-4426-89F4-CE8661FC8D00

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Internal front bump stops seems like a very odd place to cut corners. They already had it figured out in previous years and it's not a costly bit of gear.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
So, if you replace the Bilstein's you have no front bump stops, yes?

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
No …. All replacements would have them too - whoever makes it.

This isn’t a big deal to have bump stops incorporated into the shock. EVERY McPherson strut has bump stops part of the assembly - since the dawn before time. Problem here is the two piece top - and I’m not convinced it’s two pieces as much as it’s one piece of aluminum that’s failing in such a way that it looks like two pieces.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hemlockz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD Offroad 6MT
As I have come to understand it (and I might be wrong, maybe someone can confirm?) one advantage to the integrated bump stops up front is it solves one of the concerns with front spacers: you'll no longer need to get taller bump stops to be paired with your leveling kit or top hat spacers to prevent over extension of the shock. Its limits are already built into the shock so it's much harder to blow it out by overextending it.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
No… Icon and King already have replacements WITH integrated bump stops. It’s not a new concept. I’m personally waiting for OldMan Emu BP 51’s to be released.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR Base
I thought it was mentioned elsewhere the Pro and Trailhunter do not have internal bump stops on the fronts? Only applying to the TRD OR...

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
I thought it was mentioned elsewhere the Pro and Trailhunter do not have internal bump stops on the fronts? Only applying to the TRD OR...
Correct. I did more research, the Pro has shock mounted bump stops but they are external to the shock in the front.
Sponsored