Sponsored

Oil leak - 2 day old Offroad Premium

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Annoying is there are trolls on these forums who chastise @tacotegu for not having a way to get under his new truck to check the oil leak and fix it himself. The absurdity is mind boggling. In the end, many people have issues with new vehicles - they’re machines that are mass produced so bound to have issues. I too would like to know the outcome, that’s what these forums are for. But to chastise someone for not having ramps or a jack or the ability to get under it to look for,an oil leak, no matter if he can or can’t do it is awful - especially in the end because as I already stated it’s a brand new $60K truck - not the new owners responsibility to do that. Just call dealer/toyota and have them take care of the truck and the customer for the inconvenience it’s caused.

Last edited:
OP
OP

tacotegu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had it towed to dealer this morning.

Got a call a couple hours later: rear main seal leak is suspected. They ordered parts and should arrive tomorrow they say. I asked how this can happen on a brand new truck if its passed PDI? They had no words. I'm frustrated and angry. They said thankfully the oil levels were fine and not low so engine should not have been compromised but I am still not happy how this came to be.

Garrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR

Got a call a couple hours later: rear main seal leak is suspected. They ordered parts and should arrive tomorrow they say. I asked how this can happen on a brand new truck if its passed PDI? They had no words. I'm frustrated and angry. They said thankfully the oil levels were fine and not low so engine should not have been compromised but I am still not happy how this came to be.
That's wild. Engine assembly issue? Really sorry you drew the short straw on this. Hopefully they get it fixed quickly.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks for the letting us know. That sucks - you sure ended up with short end of the stick. It's a big job to fix rear main. Have to wonder how a rear main seal failed at such a low mileage. I hope they check crank end play to make sure it isn't shifting causing the crank to laterally move in the block and dislodge the rear main seal.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tacotegu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah they said it's still a guessing game until they can inspect it closer once parts arrive. I asked what parts were ordered and they said a gasket? I asked is this a blown gasket cause that would be more than just a seal leak. They weren't sure.

I will decline the vehicle if there was a major engine issue like a blown gasket on a brand new vehicle under 20km. Really hoped this wasn't a major issue but this seems closer to worst case scenario than I had hoped.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah they said it's still a guessing game until they can inspect it closer once parts arrive. I asked what parts were ordered and they said a gasket? I asked is this a blown gasket cause that would be more than just a seal leak. They weren't sure.

I will decline the vehicle if there was a major engine issue like a blown gasket on a brand new vehicle under 20km. Really hoped this wasn't a major issue but this seems closer to worst case scenario than I had hoped.
I'd be contacting Toyota Canada on this one - that's pretty unacceptable. Read on this forum some other guys truck was bought back for a cracked evaporator box leaking water onto passenger floor. Attached

Screenshot 2024-06-10 143401.png

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester

I'd just say take a deep breath for now. If it's a rear main seal, it's not the end of the world for you by any means, and it's largely going to be a problem for them because of the labor. Something like that probably hasn't messed with the engine internals. And it may not be a blown gasket; maybe it just got pinched in the assembly process. Annoying, for sure, but don't go to the dark side just yet.

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
do you have to pull the engine to get to the seal?

OP if you do have to keep this vehicle squeeze Toyota for the 10 year 125k platinum warranty.

Reactions: Kjc

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
do you have to pull the engine to get to the seal?

OP if you do have to keep this vehicle squeeze Toyota for the 10 year 125k platinum warranty.
It’s either pull the engine or pull the transmission - they’d be pulling the transmission to do the job. Good idea and as for some extra warranty coverage if they can’t or won’t replace the truck.

Sponsored
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Unfortunately I have neither a jack or the ability to slide under to remove the skid plates at the moment. At this point I'd rather not touch anything and let them find the problem in case they try to place blame on me
Yeah I agree with you- if I wanted to climb under my vehicle after working at my own job all day, I’d have bought a used vehicle.
Let the dealer deal with it.

FoxTRDPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A

Honestly this is unacceptable for a new truck. Really questioning Toyota reliability nowadays....

Keep a log of EVERYTHING. Start looking into lemon laws for your car.

Yman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Not happy at all right now. Picked this up 2 days ago. 10km on odo, currently at still at under 20km after driving back from dealer. Clearly has an oil leak (not AC condensation, see pics).

Toyota sales rep unsure whats going on. Service closed til Monday. Will need to get it towed.

Anyone else experienced this and if so what was the issue? Makes me question whether they truly do PDI.

IMG_9558.jpg

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9570.jpg
:sadface:

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly this is unacceptable for a new truck. Really questioning Toyota reliability nowadays....

Keep a log of EVERYTHING. Start looking into lemon laws for your car.
Sadly Lemon Laws don't exist in Canada.
Sponsored