Sponsored

Pretty sure my transmission is on its way out.

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
On one hand, we customers want Toyota to keep us from inconvience and harm. On the other, until it fails, we haven‘t been inconvenienced or harmed so Toyota isn’t under any obligation to do anything. More of a catch 22 than Toyota treating us poorly.

The Tundra went about 2 years from launch before they were forced to do something by the govt. It’s questionable whether a failed/failing trans is going to be similarly considered a safety issue.
Sponsored

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
What boggles my mind is that a July pro not under the TSB had a transmission that blew up. So it seems like nobody is safe.

RXvedub

First Name
Shant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma longed trd off road
As a former toyota tech, as long as we could duplicate the symptoms, it was grounds for warranty claim. I haven't read this tsb but does it explicitly require a code to be present?

MY vin # isn't even close to the "effected" range but I do have shift issues where it skips 2nd gear but then down shifts into it. Also hard shift in and out of reverse.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
As a former toyota tech, as long as we could duplicate the symptoms, it was grounds for warranty claim. I haven't read this tsb but does it explicitly require a code to be present?

MY vin # isn't even close to the "effected" range but I do have shift issues where it skips 2nd gear but then down shifts into it. Also hard shift in and out of reverse.
Well that’s concerning, they are all symptoms of the inevitable failure

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@RXvedub Cool - input from someone with some experience! Yes the TSB lists a series of VIN numbers of affected trucks, and then lists codes for solenoid failures that must be present for the TSB to apply.

But I have been wondering about the same thing. Even if you don't have the stored codes you should have a warranty claim if your transmission isn't working properly. Right? And a 4th gen transmission that is doing stuff like yours is definitely seems like it has a problem that the dealer needs to look into.

@Gfenza89 is in the same situation. His transmission is definitely not working right, but he does not have solenoid codes stored and his dealer has been telling him that his truck is normal. It obviously is not, but that has left him stuck in a bad place IMO.
Sponsored