Not open for further replies.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
For all we know this is why all the trucks are on QC hold. Maybe there was a defective part installed on some and they need to verify/change them. I'm amazed that the reason for the holds hasn't leaked.
Sponsored

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Get rid of stock tires!

I always budget new tires within a week of buying a new truck.

Truck delivered 12/15/15 SR with 245/75R16, week later 265/75R16 KO2's, no mods.

taco.jpg

DSCN1213.JPG

bayman

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Miata GT and 2017 Honda CR-V
It could also have been a defective part that is completely uncommon. Could've been a hairline fracture or a mis-installed U Joint. I'm not freaking out until this looks to be a trend. Anything can fail. Don't forget this was one of the first Tacomas off the line.
I think the guys said it was around #300... does anyone have current production numbers?

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
No question that these stock tires feel even less off road capable that the goodyear wranglers on my 2023 Tacoma off road. This is anecdotal since I have net seen a comparison but not surprised they were called a highway oreitned light OR tire.
I assume the first thing that serious off roaders will do is put some real OR tires on their Taco's, unless they get the TRD Pro or TH, and even then I'm sure they'll be lots of new rubber. It was pretty game of TFL to attempt what they did, which is why I'll always watch their videos!

Sponsored

bayman

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Miata GT and 2017 Honda CR-V
Here's the break-in recommendations I found in manual covering the first 1000 miles:
ToyotaBreakin.jpg

From their initial road trip, which was over 1000 miles, the only violations I see are starting to tow a 2500 pound trailer 277 miles too soon, and towing above 50 mph for ~777 miles. All the exercises after that are post-break-in period, and tires are stock for the Off Road trim- unless I missed them swapping.

TFL is certainly one part entertainment. But I and many others really appreciate their stress tests that seek to verify manufacturer claims. And in my opinion nothing they've done was outside the bounds of what Toyota espouses (other than early towing of a light trailer).
I feel bad for the sucker that buys the demo test Sport that my dealer has... It's been going on 15 minute test drives non-stop since arriving on the lot a few weeks back and you just know everyone is trying that new engine to compare against the old model.

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Do you really consider what they were doing abuse? Sorry, but it looked pretty tame to me.
Oh no, I do not consider what they were doing abuse by any means. I meant the abuse the truck does to itself by braking wheels while applying loads of torque.

lb272

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 OR MT
Stupid question from someone who hasn't done much offroading in modern trucks. Is the correct procedure in that situation to turn traction control off, keep it on, or is it turned off automatically in 4lo?

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Stupid question from someone who hasn't done much offroading in modern trucks. Is the correct procedure in that situation to turn traction control off, keep it on, or is it turned off automatically in 4lo?
Correct procedure is to have better tires to traction control doesn't matter 😂 Traction control is used in 4LO as the Multi-Terrain function, so it uses the traction system to modify how the torque is delivered. In this particular case, it's quite possible nothing would have broken if traction control was off, but it is also perhaps less likely that they would have been able to climb up. Hard to say.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I feel bad for the sucker that buys the demo test Sport that my dealer has... It's been going on 15 minute test drives non-stop since arriving on the lot a few weeks back and you just know everyone is trying that new engine to compare against the old model.
At least if it has a weak point, it will be discovered and fixed before selling!

Sponsored

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
Not good
I have given this some more thought after watching the full video, and I think there my engineer brain says there a chance it could be a software issue and fixed via an update. Hear me out...
Lets start with a list of facts:
1. This truck has a decent amount of torque.
2. If you rev the engine, that torque has to go somewhere.
3. Traction control works by braking wheels that it detects are spinning.

So, if the ABS is overactive (the braking responsiveness likely changes based on the drive mode that is selected in 4 LO). It could have braked both the front left and front right wheels too much in a similar time frame, which it could mean that all the torque going to the front axle could have been delivered to wheels that both have the brakes applied to a certain degree. If the brakes are applied and are keeping those wheels from spinning, that torque still has to go somewhere. In this case, a drivetrain component gave way. It's possible the trucks need updated to better ensure wheels are braked too aggressively under high torque situations.

Now, of course it would be better to have beefy drivetrain components that can take the abuse...
Would be a major glitch for computer to brake both front tires at same time. It would make sense tho

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
I don't know about the new Tacos, but yes, in other rigs traction control gets turned off automatically when you drop into 4lo.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
You don't seriously think that they should be swapping out tires based on conditions, right?

And I have no idea what you're saying about traction boards or about hammering anything. This was a pretty damn wimpy situation.

Sorry, but there was something fundamentally wrong with that rig. Hopefully it's just this one and not a design flaw / weakness.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.