Sponsored

YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen?

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade
Serious question - have you tried the USB-C connection on the right side of the navigation screen? I would've thought that would have been an AUX switch... can anyone confirm?
Can you download then to a memory in the setup so your music library is part of the entertainment setup?
I have not looked, but I doubt it. I have not seen it mentioned. That would be very cool though.
Sponsored

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
450km is pathetic range. That could be the main thing that prevents me from ever buying one of these, despite how great they look.
I wouldnā€™t say thatā€™s the range though. You have at least 100 km when the estimated distance to empty hits zero. (15 liters).

Iā€™ve been getting around 10-12 L/100 km on the highway. At that comsumption rate you are more like 650 to 800 kms from full to zero.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I wouldnā€™t say thatā€™s the range though. You have at least 100 km when the estimated distance to empty hits zero. (15 liters).
Toyota is very conservative with their fuel readings. I have run my Tundra down past when the light comes on, down to the needle below empty on the gauge and still had several gallons of gas in the tank.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I see hood flutter mentioned often. Is that something only on some trucks, or do all 4th gen Tacos have that problem?

If all 4th gens do that I would love to find a fix, because seeing a body panel dancing like an old Yugo is not something I would expect on such an expensive truck.

Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I see hood flutter mentioned often. Is that something only on some trucks, or do all 4th gen Tacos have that problem?

If all 4th gens do that I would love to find a fix, because seeing a body panel dancing like an old Yugo is not something I would expect on such an expensive truck.
My OR does it, but it's very slight. Granted I regularly drive 85-95 as well.

I have a CX5 that does it too, so it seems common from manufacturers nowadays.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
My OR does it, but it's very slight. Granted I regularly drive 85-95 as well.

I have a CX5 that does it too, so it seems common from manufacturers nowadays.
Yeah - probably caused by the move to more and more aluminum body panels.

I won't get my truck for a while yet and I will just have to see how much if bothers me. At 85-90 I would give it a pass but at 65-75 not so much.

Update: I should have searched - like I always recommend to other people. :)

The hood panel is attached to the bracing with foam bonding which is sometime really poorly applied at the factory and breaks loose. So they might vibrate when new or develop that later and could happen with any trim, at pretty much any time.

Last edited:

Windsor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Iā€™ve only posted twice on here and am new to forums in general. And I will agree that the vast majority of the 4th gen trashing has been click bait garbage, or flat out wrong.
But I think Windorā€™s reply was mostly fair as the thread title is ā€œYour (honest) pros and cons of the 4th genā€
Iā€™m certainly not trying to start anything online. Not my style in person or online. And I think (although I canā€™t say I havenā€™t been guilty of similar) to trust a dealer trying to sell you a truck to have the knowledge let alone be honest about something like third party break controller is foolish (no offense meant Windsor, just my honest opinion). Also I think Iā€™d have rather eaten the $350 cost and purchased a truck with an integrated controller (which I did).
I do agree that the subscription requirement for Toyota maps is absurd and quite upsetting, but wanted to point out that Apple allows you to download map areas ahead of time so the idea that you couldnā€™t use the phone for maps in out-of-service areas is wrong. I imagine android allows the same. Most mapping apps (Gaia for instance) allow this which Iā€™ve utilized for years in the backcountry on foot and driving where cell service is nonexistent and it works perfectly fine. I also did this recently on a road trip in my new 4th gen with CarPlay and it worked great. Just takes a small amount of planning ahead.
Overall Iā€™m really happy with my 2024 Tacoma TRD OR. Thereā€™s a few things (hood flutter, mpg even when driving very gently in the city, lack of ability to see whatā€™s playing on radio when using Apple Maps, no key lock for tailgate (makes smash and grab easier with camper), awful seatbelt warning, not a true full sized tire, to name a few, though Iā€™m sure I will think of others as soon as I post) Iā€™m not thrilled about. But as stated, overall I am really enjoying the truck. And most (not all) of the issues Iā€™ve taken Iā€™ll accept responsibility for as I could have done more thorough research before my purchase, though Iā€™d have probably bought it anyway:)
To Windsor, to each their own, but I just drove my buddyā€™s 2021 TRD OR and think the 4th gen drives nicer, smoother, accelerates better, is more comfortable, etc. As long as youā€™re happy now with what you have thatā€™s all that matters.

Windsor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I loved the way the 4th gen drove . The seating was definitely more comfortable . As far as the brake controller went I might have considered spending the extra 4 K in Canada to get the trim with the controller built in . When I told the salesman when trading in my 2020 TRD sport that I didn't need a sunroof an all of the other stuff like wireless phone charger that came along with the TRD sport plus , he assured me that it wouldn't be a problem to add my own controller to a TRD sport . ---The sales manager even re-confirmed it and said " Toyota would not sell a truck with that towing capacity with now way to add trailer brakes " I handed over 55k in good faith and was then given the run around for 3 weeks and no resolution to the trailer brake controller that I was promised wouldn't be a problem . If it wasn't for this I would still have the 4th gen .
Turbo truck asked for honest opinions and I was just sharing my first hand experience good and bad . The trailer brake controller experience that has cost me thousands in depreciated value . I am sharing my experience here because even during my scramble to resolve the controller issue with looming towing deadlines that I needed the truck for I called Toyota Canada head office and they didn't even seem to know about the problem . 15 minutes after my call to head office the salesman called me and said that they were going to look after it and not to worry . ---Then Nothing . I think everybody who is assuming that they can add a trailer brake controller to a Tacoma that does not have one built in should be aware of this problem .

First Name
Chapman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
To Windsor,
That sucks. For what itā€™s worth I was mostly trying to defend your post as the question was about pros AND cons and i didnā€™t mean any offense to you. Iā€™d be quite bummed in your situation, and Iā€™m genuinely sorry for your experience. That being said I still wouldnā€™t trust the dealer to know what they are talking about or be honest if they thought doing so would cost them a sale.
My TRD OR was listed on dealer website with a 2400W outlet which I knew was wrong and the dealer (salesman and finance manager both) insisted it was correct. I did get them to admit before I purchased it that it was 400W but they acted like they didnā€™t know and Iā€™m fairly certain they knew the entire time, as an example.
Hoping youā€™re happy with the 2023. Best to you!

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The only QC issue I had was a rear fender that was raised off the body slightly. I just adjusted the screws and it seated properly.

Some random thoughts:

I second the wireless charger being kinda shit. It's a great phone heater. It's good enough for quick trips but you'll need to plug in on long trips if you use AA or CP. I'm working on an alternative plug in charger design for next to it. I think the interior space its fine for being a mid size. My wife, myself, and our rear facing child seat all fit. I have no hood flutter or glove box rattle (common points made as negatives). I really like the adaptive cruise and lane keep for highway driving, pretty much drives itself on the highway.
I just grabbed a TRD Sport off the lot as it was available and my ā€˜22 was at its high point for trade in with 77K on the odo. Just to comment on the phone charger - mine didnā€™t come with one. I ordered a cheap wireless charger from Amazon and itā€™s ok. I double-side taped it to where I assume a factory charger would be and had to cut a small piece of filler for the phone to sit on - voila. It seems to work ok although my ā€˜22 factory charger worked better - likely due to not having Android A or CarPlay on the ā€˜22. At any rate I guess Iā€™m not missing much by not having a factory charger.
Iā€™ll take some time later and rate my ā€˜24 when I can focus on it.
Sponsored