Sponsored

YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen?

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
adaptive cruise control is gargage. It looses its mind at 70mph on 476 in the mountains of North East PA
What do you mean it loses its mind? This is the first complaint I've heard about the adaptive cruise; most saying it works amazing.

ambit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
What do you mean it loses its mind? This is the first complaint I've heard about the adaptive cruise; most saying it works amazing.
The downhill mountain curves make it brake down to 65mph, speed back up, brake again. over and over. If a car is next to me it will suddenly think they're in my lane and brake HARD. I'll see if i can get a video this weekend. I get a little icon in the dash like its lost lane tracking.

@ambit Sounds like you need to visit your friendly, local Ford dealership and get back into a Ranger.
Soon as they make a 6' bed again ;)

that_frenchman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road Premium iForce Max
The downhill mountain curves make it brake down to 65mph, speed back up, brake again. over and over. If a car is next to me it will suddenly think they're in my lane and brake HARD. I'll see if i can get a video this weekend. I get a little icon in the dash like its lost lane tracking.

Adaptive cruise isn’t meant for super curvy mountain roads really.. it’ll turn off if you’re going a certain speed into a tighter curve in the road. Based on how long your cons list is compared to the pros, why didn’t you stick with the Ranger?

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser

that's normal and even worked that way in my BMW. Does the same in my 2014 Land Cruiser

Sponsored

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Same in my Genesis. The radar doesn't like dips and humps; it slows down in the former, and speeds up over the set cruise limit in the latter. My wife’s 2023 Sienna’s smart cruise is so much smarter, but the tech is probably 5-7 years newer than my car’s. One of the reasons I decided to get a Taco - they finally stepped up the tech game.

CanyonFisherSummitSeeker

First Name
Chapman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
I’m trying to quote ambit but not sure if it’s working..

I’m just over 2k miles on my TRD OR. As I’ve stated a few times on this thread and others I really like the truck overall. I’m really happy to have it and feel lucky I’m at a place in life and in this economy I was able to make the purchase. Cars/trucks cost way too much imo, but I needed a new truck so I bit the bullet. There’s a lot more I like than dislike without question.

Wondering how you are gauging the speed being off? I ask because I’ve noticed on numerous radar signs I’ve passed I am getting a higher mph on my speedometer than the signs are reading, also by about 3 mph but this has been at both freeway and city speeds. I’m using stock wheels.

The seat belt warning is absurd and the hood flutter is annoying but not a big deal to me. I also wish the turning radius was better.

The complaint about the wheel pressure being all over the place seems beyond silly though to me as that’s not an issue with the actual truck and a super easy fix.

I 100% disagree about the adaptive cruise control. I think it’s pretty fantastic, much better than I had expected and have been super impressed by it.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent

There is a setting for how much it slows down on curves. Maybe try that.

Sponsored

john877

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I've had my TRD Sport for about a month, so I have had a few days to give this question some thought. I traded in a 2019 Colorado Z71

Pros -

Adaptive Cruise Control is wonderful
Keyless Start, able to lock/unlock vehicle with the touching handles
Locking tailgate that locks with door locks
Wireless AA
Ride comfort

Cons -

Lack of auto 4wd, surprised a 50k vehicle doesn't have this, every 4x4 I've had since 2000 has had it
18 gallon gas tank, lucky to get 300 miles between fill ups
Fuel mileage, 23 highway vs 26-27 in previous V6 vehicles on same trips
No posi-traction rear end

I do like the truck, however the cons are making me regret the purchase

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
We have a deposit down on a Sport and great to read these. Many of all the folks cons just aren’t that bad (to me) so making me even more excited to get ours.

Pro from above - tailgate locks when key fob is a nice bonus I had no idea about.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
No posi-traction rear
Haven’t heard this since My Cousin Vinny!

I have your exact current mpg and range with a twin turbo V6 sedan, and not a big fan at all. Though it’s easier to live with now when I average 15k miles a year instead of 30k when I first bought it. You do get somewhat used to it.

OldOre

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD OffRoad
This is my third Tacoma. Had a 2018 SR5 then a 2022 TRD OffRoad and now the 2024 TRD OffRoad.

I have 6K miles on the 2024, including a 2,000 mile round trip from Central Texas to AZ.

Pros:
-Engine and transmission - the new engine is so much more cohesive. As often noted, the third-gen 6 cylinder engines and gearing felt like riding a runaway mine train too often.
-Adaptive Cruise Control - dramatic improvement over the adaptive system in my 2022. The adaptive cruise control and lane assist can be effectively used in highway traffic now.
-Interior - the updated interior is great. More room and junk storage for road trips.
-Wireless CarPlay - 7 years over due (but see below)
-Under rear seat storage - I can store my daily backpack under the butt section of the back seat. I live in a large urban area, so being able to fully hide valuables when running errands is a big deal.

Cons:
-The integrated OEM dash cam and software are garbage. I'm on my 4th SD card, they keep getting corrupted, and I have spent hours trying to get the software to work. It worked for a few days then didn't work. I give up.
-The cupholders are laughably bad for those of us in the southern US - the adjustable tabs poke holes in styrofoam (I live in Texas, it's hard to avoid styrofoam on the road) and they scratch up finished tumblers (for example, white Yetis)
-The OEM tires on the OffRoad - I don't know that the BFG Trail-Terrains are any worse than the Goodyear Wranglers that were on my 2022, but I didn't feel comfortable in any beach or gravel driving with the BFG Trail-Terrains. Switched them out after 5K miles.
-The spare tire. Inexplicable that Toyota didn't provide a full-size tire on this supposed "off-road" build
-Wireless CarPlay - while a welcome edition to the Tacoma, it randomly craps out during initial connection about 15% of the time and can't figure out why
-No compass - my 2022 had a display that indicated direction of travel on the rearview mirror, no longer there.

...and finally -

- Toyota service - has been extra terrible in July 2024. I know they got hacked nationally and they were in emergency mode, but wish I hadn't heard the service advisors at two local dealerships say, "oh, you don't really need to do the recommended 5,000 mile maintenance, just come back at 10,000".

I'm hoping some of the cons are just features I haven't figured out, but that's my 2 cents...
Sponsored

Last edited: