TFL's 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4's 4WD Broke Down Deep in the Mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
I dont think this is a CV, as front tires stopped spinning. This is possibly a diff issue.

No, this was not caused by the wrong tire.
No this was not caused from "abuse". These guys are hardly wheeling this thing.
Yes, this will get attention and Toyota will correct whatever is going on.

Toyota will not risk having the weekend front end in the game, it will be fixed.
Why would a snapped cv not cause front tires to spin
Sponsored

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Why would a snapped cv not cause front tires to spin
Yeah I'm not sure where my mind went with that, but I am way off. I think I first thought the way the tires stopped and the front end sank that they blew the diff or something. Not sure, brain fart.

The reason it revs up is because the broken CV gave way to traction control, and was probably able to spin the broken axle shaft really fast. These models are supposed to have upgraded high torque axles, so I will be curious what happened here.

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
And here it starts. When the price was announced for the new Tacoma and I said it was unacceptable (TRD Offroad same price as a Raptor, and 6K more expensive than a ZR2 despite being much less capable than both, and the TRD Pro will be even more expensive), people here told me you pay for reliability.

To which I replied the only reason the Tacoma and 4Runner are reliable, is because they are 10YO tucks based on archaic tech. The new Taco is all new tech, and it will have issues just like the new Tundra got plenty of issues.

Be prepared for a lot of other stuff in the coming months.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
GM recalls 56,000 Colorado pickups in U.S. over unexpected braking linked to 4 accidents

The issue has been linked to 234 complaints in the U.S. between Nov. 29, 2022, and Feb. 6 of this year, four of which involved accidents and three involved minor injuries.

Sponsored

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
And here it starts. When the price was announced for the new Tacoma and I said it was unacceptable (TRD Offroad same price as a Raptor, and 6K more expensive than a ZR2 despite being much less capable than both, and the TRD Pro will be even more expensive), people here told me you pay for reliability.

To which I replied the only reason the Tacoma and 4Runner are reliable, is because they are 10YO tucks based on archaic tech. The new Taco is all new tech, and it will have issues just like the new Tundra got plenty of issues.

Can't tell if baiting or you genuinely believe the sky is falling.

First, I don't think anyone on this forum expected the launch of the 2024 Tacoma to go seamlessly. There will always be some issues that Toyota needs to address. When people say that the Tacoma will be reliable, they mean that once these issues are addressed once, the truck will be reliable compared to the competition. When you look at Ford and GM historically, they are plagued with reliability issues throughout ownership; not just in the first couple months after launching. Ford can't seem to make an engine that doesn't eat its own valve train, and GM has suffered from electronics-related issues for decades.

If you look at the 2022+ Tundra, you'll see that the very earliest production runs had common issues. Since then, they've gained a reputation as being solid. I anticipate the same with the Tacomas.

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
Yeah I'm not sure where my mind went with that, but I am way off. I think I first thought the way the tires stopped and the front end sank that they blew the diff or something. Not sure, brain fart.

The reason it revs up is because the broken CV gave way to traction control, and was probably able to spin the broken axle shaft really fast. These models are supposed to have upgraded high torque axles, so I will be curious what happened here.
I also remember hearing the front cv was supposed to be stronger…. It did sound like a ujoint snapping tho. Hopefully they let everyone know. Should have been able to handle a lot more then that tho.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
It could also have been a defective part that is completely uncommon. Could've been a hairline fracture or a mis-installed U Joint. I'm not freaking out until this looks to be a trend. Anything can fail. Don't forget this was one of the first Tacomas off the line.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
I also remember hearing the front cv was supposed to be stronger…. It did sound like a ujoint snapping tho. Hopefully they let everyone know. Should have been able to handle a lot more then that tho.
Yeah and this is why they didnt want to put a locker in, because this kind of thing often happens with front lockers. Traction control typically prevents it but obviously here it did not.

This could also be a simple issue of the power output. Its very possible those light revs they were giving it was reaching peak torque, and then it hooked. This has never been a problem for a Toyota owner in the history of Toyota, but it might be a thing with these new power trains. Crawl control could almost be necessary to protect the front end, especially when the hybrids get here.

PNWblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Yeah and this is why they didnt want to put a locker in, because this kind of thing often happens with front lockers. Traction control typically prevents it but obviously here it did not.

This could also be a simple issue of the power output. Its very possible those light revs they were giving it was reaching peak torque, and then it hooked. This has never been a problem for a Toyota owner in the history of Toyota, but it might be a thing with these new power trains. Crawl control could almost be necessary to protect the front end, especially when the hybrids get here.
Wait and see, if they really do share the axles with the Tundra then they should be able to handle the power just fine. Let's hope it's an installation error because I think that's the best case scenario for all of us waiting to take delivery.

Sponsored

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
If I were Chevy though, this is a pretty good marketing opportunity, even given their issues of late.
The problem is they are on a stop sale right now on the GM Twins because of massive software issues. Hard to sell trucks based on this when you can't sell yours because they're broken :)

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
The problem is they are on a stop sale right now on the GM Twins because of massive software issues. Hard to sell trucks based on this when you can't sell yours because they're broken :)
Yeah, that's why I added even given their current issues. Marketing will take any opportunity they can! LOL

Clervis

First Name
Clervis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro

Just waiting in desperate anticipation for his opportunity to say he told ya so.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.