First oil change for 4th gen 2024 Tacoma -- do yours ASAP

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
I did my first oil change and was laughing at the skid plate that was on my LIMITED. It was a limited item all right. Plastic piece a sh*t. More like its there to keep the water splash out.
Well the main thing was I drained the oil onto a plastic bag to see if there was any metal flakes or junk and discovers a small piece of metal shard in the oil. Was very shocked to see this. I would recommend doing your first oil change early as possible. Did mines at 2700 miles
Sponsored

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I am planing to do soon . What size ratchet u need for drain plug . And were u able to open filter with just twisting with hand . At last was it easy to change it .
thanks

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I’m doing mine at around 2000km after breakin. For that exact reason.

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
I changed my oil this past week at 1,500 miles. Didn't see any metal, but then didn't filter it or look that closely. I don't recall what you need to remove the drain plug but it's somewhere around a 15 or 17mm socket.

From the factory the oil filter was on very tight. There was no way I could have gotten it off by hand. Save time and energy and get a filter wrench. Pro tip if you buy one of the cap filter wrenches. They are generically designed to fit many different filters in a size range. If it's a bit too loose wrap a piece of paper around the filter before you put the cap on and it will fit much better. I believe you want a 64mm wrench but I already had the right size laying around from another car and it's not marked so you'll want to verify that number.

Also, Toyota tried, they really did. Or maybe they didn't. There's a nice little funnel lip to direct the oil coming out of the filter. Unfortunately it's a swing and a miss. Oil still drips down and hits the frame. Just a little bit larger lip and it would have worked. Lazy engineering...

Sponsored

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Can you get oil filter pliers in there or do you need the cap style?

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
Can you get oil filter pliers in there or do you need the cap style?
Pliers should fit. It's a pretty straight shot.

Frazier

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma OR
Just did mine yesterday. Didn't notice any metal but didn't look hard either. How much fluid were you guys able to drain? I barely got 5 qts.

Skids plates are 12mm
Drain plug is a 14mm

The pliers will work but I had to modify mine a little because the filter is so small.

WaitingToo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm considering doing a change myself, curious if there is a way to get record on Carfax?

DawnPatrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
Drained about 5.5 and with a filter it took 5.7~ qts to get it just below the full line .

Used a piece of cardboard from an Amazon box to create a spillway below the filter spout and above the frame .

Fairly easy and was able to crank the spin on filter off by hand with a grunt. Slowest part was getting the old crush washer off for me.

Sponsored

bresna

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Not that metal shards sounds like a good thing in an engine but I have to ask - won't the oil filter take care of that so it can't do any damage?

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Not that metal shards sounds like a good thing in an engine but I have to ask - won't the oil filter take care of that so it can't do any damage?
A bad engine the larger metal shavings will usually stay at the bottom of the oil pan. Small pieces should get filtered.

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
I did my first oil change and was laughing at the skid plate that was on my LIMITED. It was a limited item all right. Plastic piece a sh*t. More like its there to keep the water splash out.
Well the main thing was I drained the oil onto a plastic bag to see if there was any metal flakes or junk and discovers a small piece of metal shard in the oil. Was very shocked to see this. I would recommend doing your first oil change early as possible. Did mines at 2700 miles
You bought a limited trim and are complaining it didn’t come with an off road skid plate? It’s mostly for dampening noise I would assume on a “luxury” trim

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
Just did an oil change this morning and definitely didn't notice any metal or "junk" in the oil. I only have about 750 miles on it though. I'm considering installing an oil drain valve after my 5,000 mile change. I made a bit of a mess in the driveway lol. Overall though, it was a fairly easy process. I'm a little nervous about the turbo in terms of reliability, and a few extra oil changes will be worth the peace of mind. I still can't believe Toyota expects us to wait 10,000 miles or 1 year before changing our oil!

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Just did an oil change this morning and definitely didn't notice any metal or "junk" in the oil. I only have about 750 miles on it though. I'm considering installing an oil drain valve after my 5,000 mile change. I made a bit of a mess in the driveway lol. Overall though, it was a fairly easy process. I'm a little nervous about the turbo in terms of reliability, and a few extra oil changes will be worth the peace of mind. I still can't believe Toyota expects us to wait 10,000 miles or 1 year before changing our oil!
Unless you refuse to change the oil at all, an oil-related turbo failure is most likely very low on the list of potential issues. You have to remember this engine has been in use for several years and, for the most part, has been reliable (not that I've been checking). Ten thousand-mile oil changes are not a big deal with the advances in oil technology and engineering. Remember when a vehicle was considered end-of-life at 100,000 miles? Now you can double that. I change the oil in my Tundra once per year, as I never hit the 10K mark. Quality oil and filters will go a long way regardless of the mileage.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a45954715/2024-toyota-tacoma-engine-explained/
Sponsored