Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
tankk69 - I am new to this forum but had my transmission go out at 2500 mi. In looking at an earlier TSB the first letters were different in some of the affected VIN's. The numbers varied with those first letters as well. Bottom line, my impression is the whole string is important. BTW it took a little over a month to get my rig back up and running. With over 10K on it, the mileage is better and it works as expected.
What was yours doing before and during its failure? Can you go into detail please to help the folks on this forum who are going through this? Check engine light on ? Thank you!
Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Limited iForce Max

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
My TH falls within the range.. 3k miles, the only weird thing is that the first cold shift of the day, 1st-2nd gear, is harsh. All other shifts are fine.
That is what mine has started doing most days now too. I can live with that but it does make you wonder where this road is headed.

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Tacoma
@Gfenza89 Yep - I have had trucks which fell under several of them. I just didn't think that they would still be building trucks with transmissions in the TSB range. Isn't that kind of nuts? Maybe I didn't understand the situation and I don't think @Delta1Seven's dealer is being very helpful, for whatever reason. If it was me, I would at least want more info from the dealer.

BTW - yesterday my truck shifted just like normal. Did your issues come and go like that?
thanks for the idea. I will ask for more info. All they told me was that it was "in allocation" which they claimed doesn't have an accurate ETA. I assume this means pre/in production?

I find it weird that the VIN number is so low if the current trucks are higher. (Assuming VINS are sequential?)

EDIT: I'm new to "ordering" a tacoma. What exactly should I be asking? They have told me the ETA is 11/4 but then in the next breath they claim it's in allocation and the ETA isn't accurate. I feel like the salesman doesn't have a clue, and he is trying hard to get me into a limited on their lot, but I want a OR premium lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
tankk69 - I am new to this forum but had my transmission go out at 2500 mi. In looking at an earlier TSB the first letters were different in some of the affected VIN's. The numbers varied with those first letters as well. Bottom line, my impression is the whole string is important. BTW it took a little over a month to get my rig back up and running. With over 10K on it, the mileage is better and it works as expected.
What was the mileage when it failed?

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
Interestingly, the VIN i was giving by my dealer of a TRD OR that is in allocation, is not on your list despite it falling into the TSB range. Does that make sense?
What's the vin you were given?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Any other symptoms?
Not the last time I drove it. On some days it works perfectly and recently when it has had issues it has been a delayed and abrupt engagement of 2nd when going from 1st, which is usually only once when first starting to drive. It is abrupt enough to make the truck jump, like it was bumped from behind.

I also have that slight rumble when downshifting occasionally, maybe that is the 2nd gear solenoid also. Still waiting to see if this stuff changes or how it develops.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Not the last time I drove it. On some days it works perfectly and recently when it has had issues it has been a delayed and abrupt engagement of 2nd when going from 1st, which is usually only once when first starting to drive. It is abrupt enough to make the truck jump, like it was bumped from behind.

I also have that slight rumble when downshifting occasionally, maybe that is the 2nd gear solenoid also. Still waiting to see if this stuff changes or how it develops.
How does yours shift in and out of park, reverse, drive? Does your truck jump forward or backward?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
How does yours shift in and out of park, reverse, drive? Does your truck jump forward or backward?
Nope - at least not at this time. It shifts in and out of park, reverse, drive as I expect it to.

I mostly just have that delayed shift when I first start out, which seems like it almost has to be a problem with a shift solenoid. I have seen a lot of owners comment on having that. I think the transmission control unit says shift, but the solenoid takes a while to complete that. It isn't stuck so there are no codes, and I guess Toyota thinks this is normal.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Nope - at least not at this time. It shifts in and out of park, reverse, drive as I expect it to.

I mostly just have that delayed shift when I first start out, which seems like it almost has to be a problem with a shift solenoid. I have seen a lot of owners comment on having that. I think the transmission control unit says shift, but the solenoid takes a while to complete that. It isn't stuck so there are no codes, and I guess Toyota thinks this is normal.
Yeah makes sense which simply means there’s a problem… im really thinking more info from Toyota is coming soon. There are a lot of trucks out there in this vin range and a lot of possible failures for them to just let this go. Then there’s me who seems to have a trans that just won’t give up the ghost!

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Limited iForce Max
Interestingly, the VIN i was giving by my dealer of a TRD OR that is in allocation, is not on your list despite it falling into the TSB range. Does that make sense?
These are trucks currently in dealer inventories. Also, the list is not 100% accurate.