4th gen with kids?

ToyotaDude13

First Name
Brody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tundra
I’m new to this forum but I’m considering getting a 2024 Tacoma. I’m coming from a 2015 tundra. I absolutely loved my tundra. It was a great truck. Only downsides were the fuel economy and the size. We used it to haul or camper, but we have since sold the camper. I’m considering a 4th gen Tacoma as a new truck because I don’t need the tundra towing capabilities anymore. My concern is the backseat size on the Tacoma. I have a 9 and 11 year old. We have all sat in the new Tacoma and it seemed fine. Just not sure long term if it will be alright. Our other rig is a 21 toyota Highlander. I’m often by myself or taking one of the kids to practice etc.. but there will be times when we go fishing or hunting that all 4 of us (me, wife, kids) in the Tacoma. I would likely put a camper shell on it first thing to have more dry storage.
Ultimately I wanted to hear from those of you who had kids and the new Tacoma and how it’s working out for you?
Sponsored

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I’d stay full size for that age range if you still do long trips or they are heavy into sports.

OP
OP

ToyotaDude13

First Name
Brody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tundra
I really want to like the new tundras but that new engine and all the issues and recalls they have make me weary. I’m a Toyota guy at heart. Which is why I’m considering the new Tacoma.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
You're going to get a lot of back and forth here. Your best bet is to take the kids on a test drive, see how they do.

I've had lots of people in mine, some bigger than 6' and none have complained about the leg room, they were just fine. Kids will fit no issues at all, but kids will also be kids and get restless. Some kids may find it too cramped back there, especially on long road trips.

nyydynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
I have two 9 year olds and its working great for now. Enough space for both of them in the back. I'm 6'1" and my son can fit behind me without any issues.

Sponsored

Madmez

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav
I think you will be fine, the only problem is having things in there, like a backpack or snack bags. I have an 8 and 3 year old. The fifth seat is our storage area. Things rarely fit in the foot area fyi.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
My dad would've told me to sit back there and be quiet :). I had a 5'2" woman in the back seat from Ohio to Myrtle beach and she was fine. It's going to depend on how tall each of you are and the kids. Kids have a lot of entertainment now in the car. You could always turn on the wifi in the truck so they could watch tablets, etc...

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I’m new to this forum but I’m considering getting a 2024 Tacoma. I’m coming from a 2015 tundra. I absolutely loved my tundra. It was a great truck. Only downsides were the fuel economy and the size. We used it to haul or camper, but we have since sold the camper. I’m considering a 4th gen Tacoma as a new truck because I don’t need the tundra towing capabilities anymore. My concern is the backseat size on the Tacoma. I have a 9 and 11 year old. We have all sat in the new Tacoma and it seemed fine. Just not sure long term if it will be alright. Our other rig is a 21 toyota Highlander. I’m often by myself or taking one of the kids to practice etc.. but there will be times when we go fishing or hunting that all 4 of us (me, wife, kids) in the Tacoma. I would likely put a camper shell on it first thing to have more dry storage.
Ultimately I wanted to hear from those of you who had kids and the new Tacoma and how it’s working out for you?
I think I made a post here about 400 miles and a weekend in back seat. Our kids are older and said they're really glad we didn't do something like that to them at any age. It's like a low dollar airline seat too steep but with even less foot room. It won't take long for it to be small for those kids.

If we didn't have honest truck needs and were not empty nesters now another Sienna, Crown Signia or Grand Highlander would have been the Toyota choice. The non-hybrid Grand Highlander can be quite powerful, tow, carry etc....

With the pickup truck and two wagons, no one in this family chooses the pickup when someone having to sit in back has choice. My Tacoma is my 5th pickup since the 1970s but for several years I liked renting when needed. For the next about 3 years I need a light truck often thus the compromise we made.
Sponsored