Sponsored

Need help deciding between Sport or Offroad

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
With your luck acquiring trucks OP, I think I'd wait till the 2025 model year if you're considering the Tacoma, to make sure any bugs are worked out.
Sponsored

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco OR Premium
I went with the OR because I wanted MTS. Was it worth the extra price? Probably not because I only go off roading about once a month; but I'd rather have peace of mind knowing I have more tools at my disposal than having to need to call a tow truck.

I'm also waiting for more options for stealth bumpers for a winch and I have a nice selection of recovery gear at my disposal. So to answer your question, they both are very similar--get what you feel comfortable spending, these trucks aren't cheap.

john877

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
There are many things that I don't like about my TRD Sport, the lack of a limit slip differential and lack of auto 4wd. I had both of these on previous non-Toyota pickups and now I really miss them. Try pulling a boat on a slippery launch ramp with a TRD Sport and you will be sadly disappointed. I wish I had done more research, of course Toyota's website imply they have AWD and TRAC systems they are not the same. My advice do your research.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
Could you explain the 'pulling the boat' part? Is it because of the tires? If you have it in 4W-Low, shouldn't it be able to pull the boat out?

Sponsored

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I bought the sport. Basically for the tighter suspension. I figured 99.9% of my driving would be on pavement. I liked how the one I test drove handled but didn’t really have a comparitive OR to drive.

For the “off roading” I do. Dirt roads and skiing. It’s an upgrade over my old F150 so good enough. But handles great around town.

I’m happy with my decision. Didn’t like the hood scoop at first due to sight lines. But I’m used to it now.

john877

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Could you explain the 'pulling the boat' part? Is it because of the tires? If you have it in 4W-Low, shouldn't it be able to pull the boat out?
Could be a number of factors, but the lack of a limited slip differential is the primary cause. I''ve owned a number of trucks over the years with LSD and never had a issue pulling my boat from any ramp while in 2wd. I was able to pull it 4hi with quite a bit of wheel spinning (note only one rear wheel and one front wheel were spinning. The TRAC system could also be a factor, it will apply brakes to spinning wheels. I think there is a way to turn that off which may help the next time.

OP
OP

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Tacoma
I went with the OR because I wanted MTS. Was it worth the extra price? Probably not because I only go off roading about once a month; but I'd rather have peace of mind knowing I have more tools at my disposal than having to need to call a tow truck.

I'm also waiting for more options for stealth bumpers for a winch and I have a nice selection of recovery gear at my disposal. So to answer your question, they both are very similar--get what you feel comfortable spending, these trucks aren't cheap.
Do you know if the sport has a rear locker? I can't seem to find a definite yes or no on that.

OP
OP

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Tacoma
Could be a number of factors, but the lack of a limited slip differential is the primary cause. I''ve owned a number of trucks over the years with LSD and never had a issue pulling my boat from any ramp while in 2wd. I was able to pull it 4hi with quite a bit of wheel spinning (note only one rear wheel and one front wheel were spinning. The TRAC system could also be a factor, it will apply brakes to spinning wheels. I think there is a way to turn that off which may help the next time.
Is a limited slip differential and a locking rear diff the same thing? I'm new to off roading

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I just filed for lemon law on my '24 GMC Canyon AT4, so hoping they buy it back. If so, I was considering switching to a Tacoma.

1. My main question is how necessary is the Locking Rear Diff? I live in Florida so the only off-roading I am able to do is dirt/sandy trails. I actually just got my '24 Canyon but haven't got it on the trails yet so I'm not even sure if the locking rear diff on that truck was needed lol. I am new to off-roading.

2. Does the TRD Offroad sit any higher/have a lift compared to the TRD Sport?

3. My budget is around $46-50K before tax, title, tags and it seems like a TRD Offroad is around 50-55K. Most of the ones around me all come with extra Port Install Options (which in my opinion are overpriced, like phone charging cables, OEM Side Steps, first aid kits, black exhaust tip and tailgate lettering, etc. All this probably totals like $1500 but they add like $3500 for all of it). Is there any tips on how to find a Tacoma what doesn't have these overpriced added options?

4. What package comes with the full 360 camera? Is that available on the TRD Sport?

5. How comfortable are the cloth seats in these trucks? I've driven a '24 Tundra with cloth seats that they are somewhat uncomfortable.

If this helps any, my needs are:
4x4
Double Cab
14in Display
Powered Driver Seat

Locking Rear???

And my wants:
Leather
Cooled Seats
360 Camera
DeltaSeven,
i love your call sign by the way. It would appear we have some common ground with our wants and needs. I too had to have that 14 inch touch screen and the leather seats at all costs.

Unfortunately, Toyota now makes "package deal options" so ya gotta buy a whole lot of extra stuff to get what you want in a certain package. It's a trade-off. I spent the extra $8,650 for the premium package and could not be happier. The extra stuff i thot i'd never use has come in handy i must admit.

And with all the automatic transmission problems going on with the 4th gen, please consider a manual transmission. I waited, and waited for my dream build and after 13-months i found it at Toyota of Melbourne.

I purchased an $89 one-way ticket from DFW International to Florida then drove my Taco 1,300 miles back to Texas with no issues. I'm a led-foot driver and my average speed was 92mph. The 4th gen Taco tops out at of 108mph (my 3rd gen Taco top speed was 113mph) .

My TRD Sport 4WD 6MT 4-dr CrewCab 5-ft box BlueCrushMetallic with "Premium Package" is everything i knew it would be. The Sport sits one inch taller than the OffRoad as it comes with 18" wheels while the OffRoad comes with 17's. Both trims are 3-inches wider than the 3rd gen Taco.

And i get some Taco owners hate the fake hood scoop on the TRD Sport but their's just as many of us that love it i promise. Yes, the ride is a bit stiffer for highway speeds, sharp turns, and constantly driving on pavement with the Sport, but Toyota is wise in its wisdom to differentiate and offer two models for the off-road enthusiast and us Interstate speed freaks.

Pricing on the Sport vs OffRoad is about the same. I know you're on a budget but if you relly want your build, you'll pay extra or you will be disappointed buying the leftovers sitting on the lot. Good luck and keep us updated. Sorry to hear about your GM product. Just my 2¢. Cheers.

2024 Tacoma Need help deciding between Sport or Offroad tempImagemzm5bs

2024 Tacoma Need help deciding between Sport or Offroad tempImagerJOICr

2024 Tacoma Need help deciding between Sport or Offroad image0

2024 Tacoma Need help deciding between Sport or Offroad image3

2024 Tacoma Need help deciding between Sport or Offroad image2

Last edited: